Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 03:17 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times

Advertisements

Where I'm from this is the norm. Its not unusual for it to hit 100 in June and not drop below until October. And though it may be desert and desert is supposed to be dryer it isn't that much dryer. I remember the day about four years ago when in the middle of a nice 113 degree day Riverside had an outage, except San Bernardino had one first. About three hours the power came on in some places. But not our neighborhood. Endless calls to the utility company got a recording. The temp went up five degrees before it went down that day. I and my roomates and my pets sat in the shade outside with the pets being soaked down hourly. They finally got our power on 36 hours later. Lost everything in the frig. Finally went inside about 2am and got a little sleep. And revised my survival plan a little. Always keep extra water. Always keep gatroaide, chips, things containing salt and pottasium. Wear only cotton. Actually if you layer cotton and it gets wet it does help cool you (which is probably our ancestors secret).

When its 100 plus, keep the inside no cooler than 80. 80 isn't as comfortable as 70 but your body doesn't have that "shock" when you leave. Drink lots and lots of water. Wet down your pets.

This month here has sucked, but then it really hasn't seemed too much different than last summer when Riverside had an unusually hot, and overly humid summer. This year its cooler than normal. Couldn't it have just swapped years????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 03:22 PM

1,355 posts, read 4,186,187 times
Yeah, I mean I like cold but I don't need it to be below 0. I can't understand why anyone would want or need it to be over 100.

Last edited by LadyRobyn; 07-19-2009 at 05:33 PM.. Reason: quoted post was deleted.

Old 07-13-2009, 03:32 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,922,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
Yeah, I mean I like cold but I don't need it to be below 0. I can't understand why anyone would want or need it to be over 100.
Northerners seem to love it. To me, it's freaky. They seem to be chilled to the bone and want to warm up at the expense of us who have suffered in these Summers for decades and decades. I frankly HATE this freaking climate and wish for something more moderate. However, Northerners seem to love the heat, drought, and death that it brings. It's all about personal satisfaction I suppose.

Old 07-13-2009, 04:11 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,324,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Northerners seem to love it. To me, it's freaky. They seem to be chilled to the bone and want to warm up at the expense of us who have suffered in these Summers for decades and decades. I frankly HATE this freaking climate and wish for something more moderate. However, Northerners seem to love the heat, drought, and death that it brings. It's all about personal satisfaction I suppose.
When my kids were 5 and 7 I drove us down the Alcan to visit relatives all across the country. when we got to western NY, a heat wave was just ending, and everyone was wearing sweaters except us. My kids thought swimming in the pool was totally great, and I got a lot of flack for being an 'unnatural parent' for letting them. It was in the high 80s, as I recall... they didn't quite get that it never ever got that hot back where we lived in Alaska, and my kids were used to swimming in a lake as soon as the ice broke up. Of course, they tended to turn blue around the edges...

Old 07-13-2009, 04:47 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,537,546 times
I remember my grandparents house out in the country in Kiowa County never had A/C. And the best bedroom in the house was the south bedroom because that south breeze would come in at night. That south breeze was worth it's weight in gold!

I still remember those long curtains blowing in the breeze and I remember the sound of it going through the screens. I also remember sleeping in the back of the pickup which we kids thought was an adventure.

On the hottest days, my cousins, brothers and sisters and I used to go down to the windmill which was out in the pasture. They had the coldest, purest water ever known to exist.

Like synopsis, I do feel sorry for the elderly who live in the city though. Especially those who have no one to check on them. My supervisor had an in-law die in Chicago due to the extreme heat.

Old 07-13-2009, 05:02 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Well, I hate the heat as well. Anything above 80F with no clouds is getting too warm for me. I think one of the reasons why it stays so hot for such long periods of time is the angle of the sun itself. TX is at a very low latitude (32N), and the sun is angled more directly overhead which provides stronger insolation. I think what you are looking for is a more "European" climate. By that, I mean a higher latitude climate with less intense sun, and more proportional seasonal shifts in weather as well as daylight. You have to remember that all of western Europe is located north of 40N latitude and England is above 50N latitude. Of course, the climate in those places is moderated by the Gulf Stream, but you get the idea.

Old 07-13-2009, 05:29 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,983,404 times
We grew up without AC. We played outside all day, we hung out under trees, we got sunburnt and wasp stung and ant bit and never knew it was "too hot." Mom cooked outside during the summer, in an old wood burning stove. When it got too hot we laid down under the oak trees in the front yard. It was always shady there and we could always count on the dirt being cooler than the air around us. It seemed we were always having ice cream (hand cranked) as well.....guess dad liked something cold back then.....My grand dad had a big galvanized cooler and he would get a 50# block of ice, we would fill it with inside water, and weould get a drink every once in a while. I recall pulling the lid off, using the dipper to get a drink (had to close the cooler before we could drink.....just the one dipper at a time). Of course the well water was icy cold (I went out to the well house an hour ago, and it was cold and refreshing......nothing beats deep well water in the summertime).....when it got really hot we would strip down to our underwear and hose each other off.

It's only been since I "grew up" and had AC that I had to have it.

Old 07-13-2009, 06:37 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,142,943 times
I don't know about Oklahoma, but it was a big 75 today in the Buckeye, man was that hot

Old 07-13-2009, 06:39 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,983,404 times
Yep, we hit at least 75 today too............

Old 07-13-2009, 07:07 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,324,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
Yep, we hit at least 75 today too............
Plus plenty of extra degrees!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma