Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 06:43 AM

533 posts, read 1,710,420 times

Advertisements

You will find many places in Oklahoma to be very neighborly including Duncan. It is where Haliburton began and was headquartered for a long time so the community is more accustomed to hosting visitors from many places. Oklahomans in general tend to be a pretty mixed group.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2007, 07:20 AM

6 posts, read 17,997 times
thanks flintsooner
sorry if i sound dumm but what is Haliburton ???

Old 08-19-2007, 07:44 AM

Haliburton Energy Services, traded on the New York Stock Exchange symbol HAL, is a major multinational business operating in most countries of the world. It has been prominent in the news the last several years because of contracts with the United States government in Iraq. Vice President Cheney was CEO before running with George W Bush.

It actually was not started in Duncan but moved there in 1921. Shareholders Annual meetings have been held in Duncan, most recently in 2006 which drew protesters.

Haliburton's headquarters now is in Houston but they are opening a 2nd headquarters in Dubai.

I really like Duncan by the way but I like all of that area of Oklahoma. My father's family settled in that area in the early 1900's. They came from Germany to the United States but in the 1730's.

Hope that helps.

Old 08-19-2007, 07:56 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,617,212 times
Hi Lily

I don't live in SW Oklahoma, but I would choose Duncan over Lawton if I had to choose. Duncan has a more well educated background because of the Halliburton influence. Halliburton is almost a dirty word in some circles because of the war, but I hope Jammie won't get mad at me! Dick Cheney doesn't live in Duncan.

I know a guy that has about 11 kids (he can afford it), and most of them are adopted. He just loves kids.

Old 08-19-2007, 10:32 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,432,349 times
Peggy, not mad at you here. I have to agree with you. Haliburton has been through scandals recently. Oh and what's up with Dick cause he won't live in Duncan?

Old 08-19-2007, 10:59 AM

On the number of children issue I think it is a little bit generational perhaps. I have two children as so many of my boomer generation. In part I think we were doing our part to save the world.

But both my children have 4 children and many of their contemporaries have 3 or more.

Old 08-19-2007, 11:13 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,617,212 times
Halliburton moved their headquarter out of Duncan to Houston a few years ago, so that's one reason he doesn't live in Oklahoma. He is also not the CEO of Halliburton anymore. Halliburton still has some facilities in Duncan, I think.

Flintysooner, how have you been doing in the storms/floods this morning. At least you have electricity, apparently. Hope everything is OK with everyone in Duncan. Oh, wait, you are from Moore so you are not in the worst of it. I am hoping you are OK too, mkfarnam.

Old 08-19-2007, 11:51 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,909,519 times
My Grandmother lived in Duncan. She passed away many, many years ago and I haven't been back there since I was a kid but I always remember Duncan to be nice. She had this lovely, middle-class home that was always immaculate. I think you'll like Duncan lilysan. I know one thing, I LOVED Germany when I was there for a couple of years. My German landlords were the nicest people, always bringing a bottle of wine or basket of fruit to my doorstep for whenever any sort of holiday came around.

Old 08-19-2007, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Flintysooner, how have you been doing in the storms/floods this morning. At least you have electricity, apparently. Hope everything is OK with everyone in Duncan. Oh, wait, you are from Moore so you are not in the worst of it.
Actually there is tremendous flooding just south of me on Indian Hills but all is fine here. It was a deluge though - could have been 8 inches. My electricity was never interrupted and I have a generator.

Thanks much for noticing and asking.

I'm watching live rescue attempts on our local stations right now. This event is continuing. I-40 east was closed for a long while this morning. It is amazing. I've seen nothing like it in my nearly 60 years here.

Old 08-21-2007, 02:53 PM

2,919 posts, read 6,826,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiebound View Post
What kind of small town is Duncan? A place one could retire from? How's the housing situation? Any good steak houses?

Thx

Okiebound (Maybe)
C'mon Out! The lakes are warm, the air is clear and the people are friendly! If you are used to "Big-City" life be prepared to take a breath and slow down though.

We came here 3 years ago from Central-Cali to be closer to my Dad (who retired from Halliburton years back)... wish we had made the move 20 years ago! We LOVE it here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma