U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2009, 10:48 AM

3 posts, read 14,451 times

Advertisements

Hi! I'm moving to Norman, OK at the end of the month and have a few questions. I'll be applying for graduate school at the University next year. I was wondering if someone could offer suggestions on housing, safe areas to live in Norman, places to avoid, good rental properties, etc. I'm looking for a one or two bedroom rental that allows pets. I'm not really looking for the student apartment type housing.
Also, I'm wondering if anyone might know of job openings in animal hospitals or other animal-related organizations? Any ideas or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I'm really looking forward to moving to Norman!
Thanks so much in advance,
Lara
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2009, 08:40 PM

168 posts, read 489,328 times
I don't think you'll need to worry too much about being safe in Norman. It's by far the safest city I've ever lived. Every year you'll have at least one person robbed at an apartment complex, but you generally can drive most places at night in Norman and feel safe. I lived in West Norman (East and West Norman are divided by the railroad tracks) in a house near I-35. There are lots of shops and restaurants, and it was only a 10 minute drive to campus. If I was moving back to the area, I would either live in West Norman or near Sooner Road up in Moore. Moore gives you good access to both Oklahoma City and Norman (and will be cheaper than Norman). It was cheaper for me to rent a home, so it would probably be better for you than getting an apartment. Plus, you're more likely to have quiet at night. The areas that might be considered slightly shady in Norman would be just north of the OU campus, and some neighborhoods on the east side of Norman; but like I said, I generally felt safe everywhere in town. Can't help you with the animal hospitals question, but
Good luck!

Old 09-09-2009, 11:34 AM

40 posts, read 107,154 times
Yeah, living in Norman safety wont be an issue. All of Norman is enjoyable and charming. But theres some nice apartments on Classen if you odnt mind living a few minutes drive from the university. If you want closer to the university theres always great houses divided up into apartments for students.

Old 09-10-2009, 02:47 PM

3 posts, read 14,451 times
Okiefrombama and ESMOU,

Thanks for your input! I really appreciate! I keep hearing that Norman is safe and people really seem to like living there. I won't be going to graduate school until next year, so am not looking for student housing. I don't mind the drive time at all. I'm moving to Norman from a larger city with a lot of traffic. I'll take a look at the rentals on Classen and the west side of town. I've heard some good things about Moore, also. Thanks for sharing!

Lara

Old 09-10-2009, 05:10 PM

30,887 posts, read 19,604,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESMOU View Post
Yeah, living in Norman safety wont be an issue. All of Norman is enjoyable and charming. But theres some nice apartments on Classen if you odnt mind living a few minutes drive from the university. If you want closer to the university theres always great houses divided up into apartments for students.
Wow, like there's no notorious apartment complexes in Norman that go by awful nick names like "Murder North"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma