Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 09:32 AM

259 posts, read 1,072,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
I'll dispute this comment on the ice storms completely. How long have you lived here? Nearly every ice storm OKC gets Tulsa gets as well. It's temperatures in the upper levels, it has nothing to do with the temperature at ground level. It could be 20 and have an ice storm.

As for OKC "rivaling" Chicago on wind as was said earlier. It doesn't just rival, it surpasses Chicago. But really, the wind, tornadoes, heat, all of it is all overrated. As others have said though if you're looking for relief from the Phoenix heat, I'd really look elsewhere.
I've been here since 2000 so defiitely not a long-time native to Ok. Lived in Tulsa for 5 yrs and seemed like it snowed more- I figured that's b/c it gets below freezing vs it being around 33 or 34 degrees in Okc, hence causing freezing rain, resulting in more ice. I'm just going off of my observation, not necessarily actual data comparing the two cities.
Now that I've been in Okc for 5 yrs, we've had numerous ice storms- worst was in 07. Maybe my mind is getting old but I don't remember anything similiar in Tulsa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2009, 10:58 AM

3,238 posts, read 8,788,784 times
I've lived in both Phoenix and OKC and I would take an OKC summer over a Phoenix summer by far. JMO

Old 09-09-2009, 11:22 AM

4 posts, read 13,584 times
Thank you so much for understanding. I lived in OKC in the mid 70's and taught school there. No air conditioning. You read right. At that time we started school in middle Aug. without air conditioning.I remember how sticky and miserable it was but soon after in Sept. it would cool down and be more tolerable. In Phoenix it's a oven but the real pain is that it takes so long to go away. (By mid Oct. and occasionally not until first of Nov.) But I certainly would choose Tulsa for more than the weather. I love the size compared to Phoenix and the Valley at 3.75 million people. I long for tree lined streets,grass and occasional rainstorm. Phoenix has been in drought for a decade now and the Scripps Institute sees it in a long term pattern with serious water shotages. Luckily my husband and I sold our home in Phoenix before the big housing bust but I remain in conflict because I have two adult single children who live here. So I want a move to really be worth it. Does anyone have any ideas?

I should have also said that any place that has a milder summer than AZ usually has winters that are much worse than OK winters.

Last edited by Jammie; 09-09-2009 at 11:45 AM.. Reason: merged

Old 09-09-2009, 12:47 PM

40 posts, read 111,696 times
COming from Pheonix you will just have to get used to the humidity here

Old 09-10-2009, 12:20 PM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times
We all are different, of course, but for me there are no trees big enough or grass so green that I would trade for being close to my kids as they grow, form families, and have children. As for the water issues, that is really quite peripheral. I spent my entire career in water resources in the southwest. There are many very talented and capable people who are dealing with the technical and political aspects of this issue and the risk of any extended water issues in Phoenix is very remote. That question should not even be part of your considerations.

I understand very well how the AZ summer can drag on. There are few, if any, of us our here right now who are not drained by it. But in a couple of weeks we begin a string of day upon day, month upon month of beautiful weather that may be unequaled anywhere. I survive the summer by trying to escape from it. A week in a cabin in Greer fly-fishing in the streams, or walking in the forests, just sitting on the deck reading a book, does wonders (till you have to come back). It rains every afternoon there in summer just about. A night or two pampering yourself in Sedona, even in the summer, is heaven. Even in Phoenix, a weekend at one of the many resorts can put a little spring back in your step. The best thing about Phoenix is that it can be so different in two hours. You can drive away from heat and humanity and be in another world in two hours. Then, for me, there is my Oklahoma home away from home, where I go to ride my boat, catch some real fish, visit old towns and shop in little stores, and sit in the shade doing nothing. Knowing all that, and doing it, keeps me sane in September.

One thing I would add to a post already too long is that Phoenix is not AZ. A good part of the state is mountains with pleasant summers and pretty decent winters, too. You can find green and cool weather in places from Prescott to Show Low/Pine Top. Flagstaff is pricey, but weather-wise pretty decent.

Last edited by Ponderosa; 09-10-2009 at 12:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma