Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 10:36 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,442,065 times

Advertisements

Which season do you dread the most for higher utility bills? Is it summer or winter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2009, 02:15 PM

297 posts, read 586,537 times
I dropped my (already relatively low) electric bill by $20 last month by turning my thermostat up a few degrees at night. It probably helps that I also never put it lower than 78... ever... and that I only have a small space to cool.

Jammie... being from Maine, living in an old drafty house for almost 16 years, and having gotten used to my Dad leaving the thermostat on 65 all winter, but having it hardly ever actually even reach that temp at night due to cool air coming in from outside, I don't think heating my place is going to be an issue this winter. I'm very used to piling on the blankets, including my big down comforter, and the layers upon layers of clothes.

Old 09-08-2009, 03:00 PM

8,039 posts, read 4,514,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Which season do you dread the most for higher utility bills? Is it summer or winter?
I'll weigh in on that if you don't mind. The season I dread the most is the winter, I can always stand the heat in the summer and if I turn the A/C up so it doesn't come on so often I can always use fans. My bills usually run a bit higher in the winter because I just cannot handle that danged old cold.

Old 09-08-2009, 07:16 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,323,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornToFly View Post
I dropped my (already relatively low) electric bill by $20 last month by turning my thermostat up a few degrees at night. It probably helps that I also never put it lower than 78... ever... and that I only have a small space to cool.

Jammie... being from Maine, living in an old drafty house for almost 16 years, and having gotten used to my Dad leaving the thermostat on 65 all winter, but having it hardly ever actually even reach that temp at night due to cool air coming in from outside, I don't think heating my place is going to be an issue this winter. I'm very used to piling on the blankets, including my big down comforter, and the layers upon layers of clothes.
Good luck on that! Nearly all of the clothng I have is way too hot for OK, even in the winter. Even the stuff I wore in the summer in AK is too warm for winters here. I have no idea what I was thinking when I brought my Sorels along, other than knowing how much I'd paid for them. Sigh.

Old 09-08-2009, 07:27 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,442,065 times
OH, that sounds absolutely wonderful. It sounds like it's nearly a tossup between the summer and winter utility bills. Is that correct? You can guess which one is worse for me.

Just waiting for the day where I can say that some of my coats are too heavy and warm to wear during the winter.

Old 11-30-2009, 03:44 PM

297 posts, read 586,537 times
I turned the heat on for the first time last night... only for about 30 minutes til it warmed up a bit in here. After that, I piled on my new bedding - a fleece blanket and down comforter. I was so toasty warm after a few minutes in bed that I slept like a baby for 10 hours, and even then I didn't want to get up just because it was so comfy!

Old 11-30-2009, 04:30 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,528,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
Now that I've gotten your attention with that title I'll explain why.

Are we the only people in this state that have been turning off their A/C most nights the last couple weeks? Our neighbors always have A/C or heat on and their units are not quiet at all

How old are you? Old enough to work? If so, why don't you give Dad a break and offer to pay the electric bill for him? That way, you can let it run all you want!

Old 11-30-2009, 06:44 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,323,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
How old are you? Old enough to work? If so, why don't you give Dad a break and offer to pay the electric bill for him? That way, you can let it run all you want!
Nameless is a college student.

I've actually done pretty well this year, only had the A/C on for about a week. Been leaving the heaters on at night the past couple weeks, but I have to keep the temp fairly constant because of the birds. I have, however, burned out a couple electric fans set on window sills. Takes about a month for them to gunk up with dust, but it's still a lot cheaper than keeping the windows closed and running the A/C.

Old 11-30-2009, 09:37 PM

1,355 posts, read 4,185,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
As karibear said I'm in college and actually living in my own place now. Either way I am the same way as my dad, it's just not many people here seem to cut back on A/C like we do. I love the Colorado culture, if it's nice outside open the windows! Walking around towns in the Summer with doors wide open, love it!

My dad also makes more than enough money to pay the electric bill. He is just from the north and hates the idea of A/C in October or May. He tries his best to keep it to June - September.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:47 AM

2,825 posts, read 7,544,897 times
I don't think your Dad is cheap ..... he has that good old Yankee frugality.

Seeing how people in Oklahoma let the heat and AC run with doors and windows open makes me sick.

I rather have that money in the bank and be a little uncomfortable.

Perhaps Oklahoma is not a good match for me, fruguality wise .....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma