Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 10:46 PM

1,355 posts, read 4,186,187 times

Advertisements

Now that I've gotten your attention with that title I'll explain why.

Are we the only people in this state that have been turning off their A/C most nights the last couple weeks? Our neighbors always have A/C or heat on and their units are not quiet at all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2009, 07:33 AM

3,724 posts, read 9,324,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nameless View Post

Are we the only people in this state that have been turning off their A/C most nights the last couple weeks? Our neighbors always have A/C or heat on and their units are not quiet at all
Color me cheap. I've had my A/C on maybe a week total all summer, and that wasn't because it was hot, it was because it didn't cool off enough at night.

Old 09-07-2009, 08:03 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,537,546 times
We run our AC 24/7 because of health issues. We have the OG&E bill set up to pay an avg amount, do we don't get hit with large bills in the summer.

Old 09-07-2009, 09:02 AM

3,724 posts, read 9,324,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
We run our AC 24/7 because of health issues. We have the OG&E bill set up to pay an avg amount, do we don't get hit with large bills in the summer.
Mine is set up that way, too. But the way they explained it to me was that it's a rolling average, not 12 equal payments based on last year's usage. Never heard of that 'rolling average' before. One of the things I tried to check before I moved here was the high/low bills for the previous inhabitants of whichever place I was looking at. That was the most difficult thing to find out, period - whoever I talked to at whichever company always acted like I was speaking Hindi or something. They always asked who lived there, so they could look up the account by name, or what the number on the meter was, then very earnestly told me my usage might be different. That was one of the few convenient things about WA, it was a common request and they had records tied to addresses as well as account holders.

Old 09-07-2009, 09:23 AM

8,039 posts, read 4,514,412 times
Quote:

No you are not the ony ones, on cooler nights I turn mine off and open bedroom window wide. I much prefer the fresh air. If it wasn't so humid in the daytime I would turn it off then as well. I am always the last to turn the thing on in the summer and the first to turn it off when the weather cools.

Old 09-07-2009, 11:08 AM

7,685 posts, read 13,142,943 times
Unhappy Thats not nice

Sorry to hear about that Nameless, we don't live in Oklahoma, but the humidity here in Ohio can be a real pain. We have Geo-thermal heating and cooling, so our electric bill is usually real low.
As my Mom use to say, "in the winter you can always add more clothes, but in the summer you can only remove so much ".

Old 09-07-2009, 12:34 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,444,374 times
I hate sleeping with the AC on. I love the sound of summer nights so I think we had ours on for 2 nights this season. We've had a very chily summer. We didn't run the AC much, but then again, I live over 600 miles north of you, Nameless.

Old 09-07-2009, 06:59 PM

1,355 posts, read 4,186,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound? View Post
Sorry to hear about that Nameless, we don't live in Oklahoma, but the humidity here in Ohio can be a real pain. We have Geo-thermal heating and cooling, so our electric bill is usually real low.
As my Mom use to say, "in the winter you can always add more clothes, but in the summer you can only remove so much ".
Oh it's ok, I much prefer the fresh air at night even if it doesn't really cool off inside. I really don't think he's a cheapskate. I was just looking for views

Old 09-07-2009, 07:16 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,537,546 times
Quote:
Oh it's ok, I much prefer the fresh air at night even if it doesn't really cool off inside. I really don't think he's a cheapskate. I was just looking for views
We have been blessed these past few weeks with cool nights. I sneakily turn the thermostat up so it won't run all night. I think one morning last week it was in the high 50's. You can't ask for better weather than that in early September.

I love cool night air, and love to keep my window open just a little. Any more than that and I am asking for bugs to enter my domain.

Old 09-08-2009, 09:19 AM

259 posts, read 1,072,903 times
We've kept ours running lately b/c it's warmed up so much during the day- your bill is lower if you keep it at a constant temp and aren't turning it off and on, having to cool the house down again when it gets uncomfortable. We set it at 75/74 at night. I'm sure it doesn't kick on much at night now though. If we had a fan in our room then I'd definitely turn it off...but it gets way too stuffy right now so we gotta keep the air moving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma