Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 12:48 PM

74 posts, read 316,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by peggydavis View Post
Great, Belgian Pea. I'm happy to hear your good news.
YAY! *dances*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2007, 02:54 PM

5,004 posts, read 15,350,013 times
BelgiumPea, that is so great.

Old 10-03-2007, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessaka View Post
BelgiumPea, that is so great.
yes it is, and i believe this weekend we're gonna do something for my upcoming bday but i dont know what.
i'll let you know how the classes are going, they start the 15th i believe

and just call me Evi It's shorter and it's my real name

thank you for posting, really appreciate all the concern.

Old 10-03-2007, 01:16 PM

3,160 posts, read 10,619,497 times
Glad to see things are looking up for you Evi! Have a great bday!

Old 02-02-2008, 11:23 AM

2 posts, read 3,486 times
Hello All! I will be moving to Enid sometime in May. This will be my 3rd move in about five years. This post has hit me on a very emotional level; it is astonishingly hard to meet people and make friends when you're new in town. I too am not especially religious, and it seems awful to attend a church just to make friends. My husband and I would love to find some couple friends who would just enjoy visiting, having dinner and maybe a beer. It seems to me that the residents of any given town are not outright rude, but they already have their friends and don't really need more.

Old 02-03-2008, 04:56 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,619,497 times
Hi AndyLeigh and welcome to the forum!

Some towns can be harder than others regarding making friends. I don't live near Enid, but I hope that you can meet up with some people who are also new in Enid.

I don't see anything wrong with attending church just to make friends. Many people attend church just for social reasons. There are also some volunteer groups that can be good for making friends. In my area, we go to school functions although we are far from the age of having kids in school.

Old 02-06-2008, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyLeigh View Post
Hello All! I will be moving to Enid sometime in May. This will be my 3rd move in about five years. This post has hit me on a very emotional level; it is astonishingly hard to meet people and make friends when you're new in town. I too am not especially religious, and it seems awful to attend a church just to make friends. My husband and I would love to find some couple friends who would just enjoy visiting, having dinner and maybe a beer. It seems to me that the residents of any given town are not outright rude, but they already have their friends and don't really need more.
hey! you can always pm me. we dont go to church either and i feel the same way you do.
i am more used to this place now but i still havent made a friend here. im sort of used to it by now. we got new neighbours and they seem nice, but we dont bump into each other often.

im studying to get my driver license now and want to start looking for a part time job in the near future

oh oh i got fun news too. Corey ( MA HUBBA HUBBA GORGEOUS HUBBY *wistles* ) and i are finally gonna get out of this town for a couple of days we'll be married a year in march and we booked a log cabin near broken bow for 2 nights. YAY!

we're always up for meeting new people, so give us a sign

Old 02-06-2008, 10:52 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,322,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyLeigh View Post
It's everywhere, and if you don't drive, it's worse. I've been living for nearly 8 years in a place that's gotten increasingly on my bad list. I thought, since it was DH's choice and his brother lived here, we'd do okay meeting friendly locals. Never happened. People are pleasant, the same way clerks in stores are pleasant, but that's it. If you didn't go to the right school, don't go to the right church, etc, you just aren't REAL. After DH died last fall, some of the neighbors were quite nice, as in "Anything you need, just let us know, we'll be happy to help." That lasted about a week. One person I called and left a message for told me later she'd heard it, but she decided she needed to clean behind her refrigerator that day! I gave up calling or knocking after a couple weeks of stuff like that. If I called, they knew it was me because they have caller ID. If I knocked, they'd look out the window first and just not anwer the door. Kind of hard to pretend you aren't home when your car is right there, though.

I refuse to join any churches because of my family's history with them. Just the thought gives me chills! But strangely enough, the agent I was going to list my place with recommended it, she said all I'd have to do was go to church - any church - and the congregation would be quite happy to help me pack up the rest of my things. Well, I don't want a gaggle of total strangers rummaging around my things, not even for free packing.

I still have some true friends, ones that I've had forever, but they are scattererd around the country - Alaska, Colorado, California, St Louis. I can't afford to live in CA, AK, CO, and they'd have to pay me a LOT to live in STL. So here I am, setting off on an adventure looking at Oklahoma as my first choice.

I am SO looking forward to living either in a rural community or a small enough town that I can walk wherever I need to go, I can't even begin to describe how much I'm looking forward to it!

Old 02-07-2008, 03:32 PM

hey karibear, i hope you can find the place you are looking for. i understand what you are saying. it is difficult without a car. i cant go anywhere without my husband. hopefully i will pass my test quickly so i can change that

i too cant say people aren't friendly, cos they are. they're nice but its just hard to get passed that friendly smile and hello. i dont go to church simply because i wasnt raised religiously, over in belgium nobody goes to church anymore, despite it being a catholic country. i dont know anybody there that goes, unless for a funeral or wedding or something.
here it seems to be weird if you know somebody that DOESNT go to church... i knew i was coming to "the bible belt" but its still a strange experience all this God stuff.
going to church just wouldnt be right for me, id feel like a hypocrite cos i'd only sit there to meet people. and i still feel a bit uncomfertable if people are overly "jesus died for you"....

but i respect their choices, i hope their is something after all this. i just dont believe it, i dont have that conviction. i just hope there is, i guess ill find out when my time's up. twould be nice

Old 02-08-2008, 08:03 AM

3,238 posts, read 8,788,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post
It's everywhere, and if you don't drive, it's worse. I've been living for nearly 8 years in a place that's gotten increasingly on my bad list. I thought, since it was DH's choice and his brother lived here, we'd do okay meeting friendly locals. Never happened. People are pleasant, the same way clerks in stores are pleasant, but that's it. If you didn't go to the right school, don't go to the right church, etc, you just aren't REAL. After DH died last fall, some of the neighbors were quite nice, as in "Anything you need, just let us know, we'll be happy to help." That lasted about a week. One person I called and left a message for told me later she'd heard it, but she decided she needed to clean behind her refrigerator that day! I gave up calling or knocking after a couple weeks of stuff like that. If I called, they knew it was me because they have caller ID. If I knocked, they'd look out the window first and just not anwer the door. Kind of hard to pretend you aren't home when your car is right there, though.

I refuse to join any churches because of my family's history with them. Just the thought gives me chills! But strangely enough, the agent I was going to list my place with recommended it, she said all I'd have to do was go to church - any church - and the congregation would be quite happy to help me pack up the rest of my things. Well, I don't want a gaggle of total strangers rummaging around my things, not even for free packing.

I still have some true friends, ones that I've had forever, but they are scattererd around the country - Alaska, Colorado, California, St Louis. I can't afford to live in CA, AK, CO, and they'd have to pay me a LOT to live in STL. So here I am, setting off on an adventure looking at Oklahoma as my first choice.

I am SO looking forward to living either in a rural community or a small enough town that I can walk wherever I need to go, I can't even begin to describe how much I'm looking forward to it!
Karibear, I roam around a lot of the different states' forums and the one thing that strikes me about OK more than anything is that everyone on this formum actually LIKES their state. Just browse a bit on other states and all you see are complaints. That leads me to believe people in OK are happy I know when we traveled there a few weeks ago, I got a real sense of contentment among the people I met. I think you will do well in OK. We're certainly looking forward to our move at the end of the month. I understand your church thing. I was raised Catholic, and practiced it until a few years ago when the various scandals and other things turned me off on that particular religion. However, we will join a non-Catholic church when we move to Mustang, because besides meeting people, it gives me a feeling of Sunday being a "rest" day, and changes the pace of the day for the better. I think it also gives a feeling of community, which is important when you're adjusting to a new place. However, to each his own. I'm sure there will be other places you can join to meet people when you move. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma