U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 06:11 PM

5 posts, read 20,895 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I was just offered a position at Tinker AFB as an "Aircraft Engine Mechanic" I was just hoping to get some info on what its like to work there. How likely is it to get a swing or graveyard shift? How much overtime do they make you work, is it hard work, what exactly do you do?

Thanks to anyone that can help.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2009, 11:25 PM

7 posts, read 27,712 times
Hey. I just got the same job. Did they tell you a start date? I forgot to ask. I know a little info., but not the answers to any of your questions. I have a physical scheduled for 9/23 in the AM. Are you a veteran?

Old 09-13-2009, 12:11 AM

32,869 posts, read 18,962,881 times
Funny, I just met someone who retired as Engine Aircraft Mechanic after 32 years. I have known this person for about 4 years, but never knew what he did for a living.

Most people will tell you that Tinker is a good gig for these parts. I don't know the answer to your questions either. Good luck on your new job to the both of you.

I used to drive right by there on my commute and the freeway is always backed up at the Tinker exit to get into the gates. You are going to love that.

Old 09-13-2009, 12:52 PM

7 posts, read 22,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncc1701ewm View Post
Hey all,

I was just offered a position at Tinker AFB as an "Aircraft Engine Mechanic" I was just hoping to get some info on what its like to work there. How likely is it to get a swing or graveyard shift? How much overtime do they make you work, is it hard work, what exactly do you do?

Thanks to anyone that can help.
Can you tell me how long you had to wait to get hired after appling for the job? I applied 8/6/2009 for aircraft engine repairer at tinker afb.

Old 09-13-2009, 01:46 PM

Your question wasn't directed at me, but I figured I might be able to help answer.
I applied in April. I am a veteran, which provides a hiring preference. I was an aircraft electrician in the Air Force. I was specifically hired for a trainee position as an aircraft engine mechanic. Hopefully you won't have to wait too long. Have you received an email that tells you whether you are eligible for the position? It pretty much just says that you have the min. qualifications and you completed the application properly. Once you receive that you could get a call any day. But, I've heard that the hiring/selection process is odd at times. You really never know. Good luck. AND, if you really want to get on at Tinker, apply for the Helper/Trainee position listed at USAJOBS.GOV but it may only be open to veterans and a few others.

Old 09-13-2009, 02:08 PM

Just to follow-up with more info. on the Helper Support/Trainee position; you can be placed into any field such as Engine Mechanic, Sheet Metal, Avionics, etc... It is currently open for applications from the following only:

1. Disabled veterans; OR

2. Veterans who served on active duty in the Armed Forces during a war or in a campaign or expedition for which a campaign badge has been authorized; OR

3. Veterans who, while serving on active duty in the Armed Forces, participated in a United States military operation for which an Armed Forces Service Medal (AFSM) was awarded; OR

4. Recently separated veterans. Recently separated veterans are defined as those who have separated from active service within the last three years.

Old 09-13-2009, 03:03 PM

7 posts, read 22,791 times
I am a disabled vet and had worked for 18yrs as a 8602 WG-9 before I got a rif in 1999. I applied for the same position at Randolph AFB and got a rating for qualification for WG-8 thru WG-11 but didn't get the position. I've applied for a 8852 aircraft mechanic also at tinker afb, so will keep my fingers crossed for both positions. Thanks for the info about the helper suppot on usajobs!

Old 09-13-2009, 03:22 PM

WLA45, nice to cyber meet you. I'm a disabled vet too. I don't have near the experience you have though. From what I was told when I was offered the position (Aircraft Engine Mech. Trainee), they have quite a few openings and have dedicated numerous HR people to the hiring process. Best of luck. Let me know how it goes.

Old 09-14-2009, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdhow76 View Post
Hey. I just got the same job. Did they tell you a start date? I forgot to ask. I know a little info., but not the answers to any of your questions. I have a physical scheduled for 9/23 in the AM. Are you a veteran?
//

Yes I am a veteran. I have a 30% disability. I also have a physical scheduled on the 23rd.

The girl in HR told me they will not give you a start date until after you pass the physical and background check.

It really threw me off how little information they give you when they call and how little information you can get about the job. It really sucks you only get to talk to a HR person. I am really wanting to take this job but am terriefied to get stuck on a 3 to midnight as I have a newborn and a two year old at home and I dont really want to abandom my wife with all that thru the entire week.

Old 09-14-2009, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wla45 View Post
Can you tell me how long you had to wait to get hired after appling for the job? I applied 8/6/2009 for aircraft engine repairer at tinker afb.
//

I applied about 3 months ago. However, I do have preference points for being a "disabled" vet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma