Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 07:18 PM

702 posts, read 2,517,455 times

Advertisements

Did the ride have a waive of liability form that your child had to sign before they rode the mechanical bull?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2009, 08:32 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,981,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by briansgi View Post
Did the ride have a waive of liability form that your child had to sign before they rode the mechanical bull?
wouldn't matter......the kid is a minor, he can't sign.

If it were me, I would hire an attorney, and I would do it tomorrow morning. bull riding is a fun sport. Mechanical bulls are fun as well. Both are dangerous and should not be done without proper protection and training. I've had the training and I could get the equipment, but at 60+ there is no way in hell I would get on board today. Lane Frost and Taking Care of Business taught me that lesson.

Liability waivers are all right, I guess, but they can be penetrated, and if they didn't verify the kids age, they are liable regardless of what kind of waivers the kid signs.

I am all for the creed of Cowboy up.......but the problem is long term possibilities. My son could not get into the armed services because a 250# hog stepped on his ankle. If it hadn't been for the Cherokee hospital it would have cost a solid 6 figures for the surgery to make it possible for him to walk without being in pain. And that was just a bone chip and a calcium spur.

Neck and head injuries are far more serious. and far more long term. In dealing with this sort of thing the kid needs more than a general practitioner or even general surgeon. He needs a pro that does spine, neck, and head stuff for a living. I took on a green broke once that spooked and laid me up for over a year.....I worked and could get around, but it wasn't fun. I still ache on occasion. and that was 30 years ago.

Like I said, I am all for Cowboy Up and if the kid had been on a real bull and was in a real arena, I would tell him to suck it up. but Ive been in those bars where the guy running the mechanical bull will crank the reostat up a little extra and jump the bull a little harder, just to show the dude how poor he is on that thing......just to kind of embarrass the kid in front of his friends or gf. I don't care if you are travolta himself, I can get anyone off one of those things in nothing flat. And if you get the guy being thrown forward and you can get that thing to come back up, you can break a guys nose, give him a concussion, pop his spine, or shatter a jaw bone. And the carny can do it or not do it.....its a choice he makes.

Like I said, get an attorney and get him now. File ASAP against the carny, the owner of the mechanical bull, and the fair itself. Establishing that now will cover future problems.

Old 10-01-2009, 10:31 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,442,065 times
You may want to see if the Dr. will order an MRI for your son. Often it's just said that neck/back problems show up later, but in reality, he could be having problems now and just be thinking the pain will go away with time and it may not.

I'm sorry this happened to your son.

Old 10-06-2009, 09:20 PM

72 posts, read 165,814 times
As an FYI, if the fair is in Oklahoma, it was supposed to be inspected by the Department of Labor. The state boiler inspectors also inspect the fair and carnival rides (why I don't know....)

Old 10-07-2009, 11:22 AM

141 posts, read 330,037 times
Thanks for everything guys. I got a lawyer and we have a case. Bub goes to the doctor again next week to schedule his surgeries, but he is fine for now. I will try to update as much as possible. All my love Oklahoma and nationwide friends.

Old 10-07-2009, 03:46 PM

8,039 posts, read 4,513,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverbottomkidok View Post
Thanks for everything guys. I got a lawyer and we have a case. Bub goes to the doctor again next week to schedule his surgeries, but he is fine for now. I will try to update as much as possible. All my love Oklahoma and nationwide friends.
By all means keep us posted. Glad to hear he is doing ok for now.

Old 10-17-2009, 09:55 AM

Just got my mail............Lawyer sent a letter to me..................he wants 33 and one-third percent of the award received as his fee? What's everyone's opinion on this? I've never had a suit or lawyer before and I'm a little confused as to what this means.

Old 10-17-2009, 10:12 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,981,976 times
about standard for this kind of a deal.

What it is, is that the lawyer, instead of charging you a retainer and billing you by the hour, "participates" in the recovery. It also encourages the attorney to get the maximum amount possible as it affects his paycheck as well (at least that is the theory). It will get all your bills covered, a decent settlement for for his pain and suffering, and it won't cost you any out of pocket money.

Old 10-17-2009, 10:55 AM

Thank you goodpasture. That was a great explanation. It works for me considering I don't really have the time or energy to mess with it. I'll let him have it so I'm free to take care of the boy.

We had surgery early yesterday morning and everything went fine. A lot of nose bleeding and red eyes, headache and pain, but this should be the end of the bad stuff. He just needs to recover now.

Thanks to everyone for their concern and thoughtful posts. I'll be back on this thread when I need some answers again.

Thanks and god bless everyone.

Old 10-18-2009, 03:20 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,262,628 times
God bless you and your family.

When there is a carnival ride accident the fair organizer, and the fair grounds owner need to be notified immediately - or as soon as possible. If it is state owned, call the Governor's office and send a certified letter with the facts. Omit emotion. . Whoever organized the fair knows every venue and how to contact the owners. The mechanical bull operator cannot escapte the long arm of OK justice.

Your child should have a complete physical. You do not want seizures or any other problem related to the bull. It is wny you need a lawyer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma