Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 05:38 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,426,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tookey View Post
Loved it, yeah someday I will be watching those storms and get blown to Kansas. Oh well I started in Kansas guess I'll wind up back there.
those were posted on the wrong thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2009, 05:47 PM

8,039 posts, read 4,513,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
those were posted on the wrong thread.
I still liked them

Old 10-07-2009, 08:13 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,148,902 times
I love this thread and all the stories here. Thanks for sharing. I was born and raised in Omaha and my mom would haul us kids to the basement under the stairs where she had the candles, batteries, radio and blankets "just in case". I remember my dogs wouldn't come out from under the bed and my mom would be poking them with a broom while they growled at her. She would eventually give up and say "Damn dogs, get sucked up by the tornado then". It was a funny and exciting time at my home when those sirens went off. My dad would be standing at the window looking for the tornado while my mom was freaking out yelling at everyone to get downstairs. LOL, no wonder I turned out like this....ha,ha!!!

Anyway, those were weird but good memories as crazy as it sounds. When I got news that we were moving to this part of the country I was excited about the thunderstorms. I am excited as well as kind of scared about the tornados in spring. We don't have a basement here just a closet. Hopefully.. we won't get sucked up by a tornado... Knowing my luck an F5 will decide to make its way down my street... OMG, I pray that it doesn't happen... It is scary just to look at the clouds in the sky here and think..those could be the beginning of a tornado

Old 10-07-2009, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raelyn28 View Post
I love this thread and all the stories here. Thanks for sharing. I was born and raised in Omaha and my mom would haul us kids to the basement under the stairs where she had the candles, batteries, radio and blankets "just in case". I remember my dogs wouldn't come out from under the bed and my mom would be poking them with a broom while they growled at her. She would eventually give up and say "Damn dogs, get sucked up by the tornado then". It was a funny and exciting time at my home when those sirens went off. My dad would be standing at the window looking for the tornado while my mom was freaking out yelling at everyone to get downstairs. LOL, no wonder I turned out like this....ha,ha!!!

Anyway, those were weird but good memories as crazy as it sounds. When I got news that we were moving to this part of the country I was excited about the thunderstorms. I am excited as well as kind of scared about the tornados in spring. We don't have a basement here just a closet. Hopefully.. we won't get sucked up by a tornado... Knowing my luck an F5 will decide to make its way down my street...
Quote:
OMG, I pray that it doesn't happen...
It is scary just to look at the clouds in the sky here and think..those could be the beginning of a tornado
Mother Nature takes no detours.

Old 10-07-2009, 09:29 PM

58 posts, read 146,560 times
There aren't very many houses in Tulsa with basements, because of the high water table, although I guess those reinforced aboveground "safe rooms" are getting more popular. They just don't touch down in the city very often. Not to say that it couldn't happen - Moore, which is a suburb of Oklahoma City, got hit very badly a few years ago. But the possibility isn't something I'd lose sleep over. (I don't, and I am a tornado magnet, lol. I've been in buildings that were hit twice here in Oklahoma, and three days after I moved to North Dakota, the first tornado to hit that county in ten years went by less than half a mile away.)

Old 10-08-2009, 12:18 AM

1,837 posts, read 4,148,902 times
Those are the types of things that happen to me. I was a part of some of the WORST earthquakes in Southern Cal.... I was there in 1994 when the Northridge Earthquake took place. We had glass break, several items were damaged and many people lost their lives closer to the epicenter. I don't think there has been a bigger quake since I left in 2001. It was very scary and I will never forget the shaking. I felt it for years afterwards. I was six months pregnant at the time. My husband was in Salem Oregon when Mt. St. Helens blew. Hopefully mother nature will go elsewhere...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue View Post
There aren't very many houses in Tulsa with basements, because of the high water table, although I guess those reinforced aboveground "safe rooms" are getting more popular. They just don't touch down in the city very often. Not to say that it couldn't happen - Moore, which is a suburb of Oklahoma City, got hit very badly a few years ago. But the possibility isn't something I'd lose sleep over. (I don't, and I am a tornado magnet, lol. I've been in buildings that were hit twice here in Oklahoma, and three days after I moved to North Dakota, the first tornado to hit that county in ten years went by less than half a mile away.)

Old 10-08-2009, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raelyn28 View Post
Those are the types of things that happen to me. I was a part of some of the WORST earthquakes in Southern Cal.... I was there in 1994 when the Northridge Earthquake took place. We had glass break, several items were damaged and many people lost their lives closer to the epicenter. I don't think there has been a bigger quake since I left in 2001. It was very scary and I will never forget the shaking. I felt it for years afterwards. I was six months pregnant at the time. My husband was in Salem Oregon when Mt. St. Helens blew. Hopefully mother nature will go elsewhere...
Was you there during the San Fransisco earthquake when the freeway collapsed?

I lived ontop of the San Andreas Fault.

Last edited by mkfarnam; 10-08-2009 at 07:57 AM..

Old 10-08-2009, 03:09 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,439,639 times
Vera, are you saying that you're a tornado magnet?

Old 10-08-2009, 04:02 PM

58 posts, read 146,560 times
Don't stand next to me during a thunderstorm.

Old 10-08-2009, 06:17 PM

And as we speak the thunder roars!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma