U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2009, 06:37 PM

1 posts, read 2,709 times

Advertisements

I know there is a thread about relocating to McAlester, but it is rather dated. We are looking to relocate there. I need new info on rental availabilty, family-friendliness, schools, safety. Any information would be helpful. The employer is in need but not sure if community is a fit for our young family. How long does it take you to get to South Tulsa???
Much Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 12:14 AM

2 posts, read 3,545 times
Exclamation A little info on Mcalester

I've lived in Mcalester for 7 years and thought I'd see if I could help. It is quite a trip to make everyday to S. Tulsa, even if you take the turnpike. There are a few rentals but you can expect to pay around $500 for a 2/2 apartment and up to around $1200 for a decent house and beware that slumlords are in surplus here. There isn't much for families to do unless you love to overindulge in fast food or walk around walmart pointlessly, they tore down the only bowling alley we had to build yet another hotel and there isn't much more going on. Although there is Lake Eufaula during the summer months. In my experience it is a pretty safe town, we only had our apartment broken into once and the police were so fast to respond that the intruder didn't even have time to grab anything and don't listen to all the hype about "Big Mac" we've never had a problem and lived within sight of the big white walls. As for the schools... I'm not sure, our little one is not at school age yet but I know she won't be going to Puterbaugh Middle. Mcalester High School is supposed to be pretty good but there are a few smaller schools as well for more rural areas such as Crowder, Savanna, Canadian etc. Anyway I hope this helped, if you have any questions just shoot me a message and good luck!

Old 01-17-2010, 08:37 PM

24 posts, read 50,218 times
i was in McAlester Saturday. Also go there with family sometimes, housemates and my Fiance. Love that town. I could live at Wal-Mart. I am only 45 min. from McAlester.

Old 01-18-2010, 11:16 AM

1,789 posts, read 4,056,606 times
Been living in the McAlester area for 11 and 1/2 years. Other than my ranch, I am not a McAlester fan. The prison upsets me especially when the workers (imates) are out in the streets picking up trash. Good idea but I wonder if they are casing out the place for when their out in a month or two. I know that sounds horrible but there is a lot of petty crime here. I remember my daughter getting her wedding dress hemed at a home when someone ran in to the home and stoled her purse in the middle of the afternoon. Stuff like that.

Old 01-25-2010, 07:52 AM

26,075 posts, read 26,001,492 times
Ive been to McAlester a couple of times and was very impressed with the friendly folks. Even for someone like me who (Ive been told) has a somewhat 'east coast' accent, those southerners were still friendly, helpful and very courteous. McAlester had plenty to do, and Lake Eufaula wasnt that far away, another beautiful part of OK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>