Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 08:51 PM
JD.

199 posts, read 487,631 times

Advertisements

Palo Duro is a great place, went there in the summer when it was a blistering hot, I remember the tar from the pavement got on my boots and then onto my floorboards, but what the heck. I'll be moving to the OK Panhandle in August for college so I'm familiar with the scenery, but its nice in its own right, you can see all the way to tomorrow. Seeing a thunderstorm out there is the best nothing to block the view, pretty dang awesome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2007, 08:24 PM

75 posts, read 278,552 times
Oklahomans are very friendly and very giving. I moved to Scottsdale for 3 years and marked the days off until I could come back.
If you run into someone being rude here, more than likely they are a transplant.

And by the way, during these huge thunderstorms, if your child is home alone, have the child turn on news 9. Gary England will tell your child over and over where to go and what to do; do not panic, get the bike helmet and put shoes on. It is amazing how he can do this while pointing out tornados. He has prevented anxiety attacks for many kids around here.

Old 05-10-2007, 08:29 PM

1,355 posts, read 4,184,660 times
Huh? I know Oklahoma is overall a friendly state. But if you're in OKC don't expect people to be waving at you as you drive down the state. Heck, my next door neighbors attacked my driving after I got on their kids for pointing a laser pointer in my eye as I was driving home one night! My subdivison is full of professionals that come home, close the garage door and you never see them till the next day.

I can't speak for the small towns though, I hardly ever am in them and have no family expect my immediate in this state.

This might be considered stereotypical, but here's how I see it.

The south is more friendly on the surface, perfect strangers will come up and ask you something and you'll get welcomed nicely to an event.

The north is a bit cold on the surface, but once you get to know the people they're as nice if not nicer than people in the south.

I have lots of family in the north, so this is probably where my ideas are from.

Old 05-10-2007, 09:28 PM
JD.

199 posts, read 487,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos View Post
Oklahomans are very friendly and very giving. I moved to Scottsdale for 3 years and marked the days off until I could come back.
If you run into someone being rude here, more than likely they are a transplant.

And by the way, during these huge thunderstorms, if your child is home alone, have the child turn on news 9. Gary England will tell your child over and over where to go and what to do; do not panic, get the bike helmet and put shoes on. It is amazing how he can do this while pointing out tornados. He has prevented anxiety attacks for many kids around here.

This post made me laugh. I've never been anywhere else other than OK where the weather guy is a hero. People talk about the guy like he's a movie star. That's another plus of the tornados, seeing Gary England calm the entire state down, seriously I'm waiting for them to put up a bronze statue of him downtown, cracks me up.

Nameless: I know in OKC and Tulsa they probably don't wave, but believe me head into one of the small towns nearby.

Old 05-17-2007, 08:51 PM

74 posts, read 316,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugratref View Post
Unfortunately, that was a comment I made while visiting Oklahoma recently.
I live in South Carolina and my parents live in Oklahoma. I grew up in Oklahoma so I’m well aware of how friendly people are there. Sadly, it appears I have become far more jaded to friendly folk than I ever dreamed I’d be.
Here’s what happened…my Dad recently fell ill, so I made a flying trip in to take care of things for my parents. While sitting in a local pharmacy waiting for Dad’s prescriptions, a chatty young lady started talking to my brother and me as if she’d known us all her life. When she walked away I asked my brother, “Was she just being friendly or was she high?” He laughed and said, “Who knows these days!”
That comment has bothered me ever since the words fell from my lips. I was in Oklahoma for three weeks and not once in all that time did I deal with anyone rude or hateful in anyway. Wasn’t pleased with the lack of knowledge from a few nurses at a local hospital, but that’s a whole other can of worms. I had more doors opened for me, more people smiling and saying, “How do you do?” then I’ve had in years! One dear sweet gentleman even helped me pick out cantaloupe at Wal-Mart!
I could go on and on about how sweet and kind many people were while I was in Oklahoma. This last visit really made me even more determined than ever to look at retiring there someday. And I promise, if I do, I won’t accuse anyone of being high again! LOL!

hehe i know what you mean, i am belgian and the first month i was like "why does everybody talk to me in a store" to me it felt like overly friendly... im used to people saying hello when they work in stores but here they ask how you are doing and stuff. ive actually asked my husband what to do LOL because its supposed to be a brief hello but am i supposed to just say "good thank you" and walk away i feel like i have to ask then how they are doing but but but but that takes too long!
sometimes i just wanna run in and out of the store you know. and here you spend alot of time saying hello to everybody you bump into.

its sort of funny, sometimes i still feel like it's "overly" but on the other hand, its nice to have people be friendly

Old 05-18-2007, 01:52 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugratref View Post
Unfortunately, that was a comment I made while visiting Oklahoma recently.
I live in South Carolina and my parents live in Oklahoma. I grew up in Oklahoma so I’m well aware of how friendly people are there. Sadly, it appears I have become far more jaded to friendly folk than I ever dreamed I’d be.
Here’s what happened…my Dad recently fell ill, so I made a flying trip in to take care of things for my parents. While sitting in a local pharmacy waiting for Dad’s prescriptions, a chatty young lady started talking to my brother and me as if she’d known us all her life. When she walked away I asked my brother, “Was she just being friendly or was she high?” He laughed and said, “Who knows these days!”
That comment has bothered me ever since the words fell from my lips. I was in Oklahoma for three weeks and not once in all that time did I deal with anyone rude or hateful in anyway. Wasn’t pleased with the lack of knowledge from a few nurses at a local hospital, but that’s a whole other can of worms. I had more doors opened for me, more people smiling and saying, “How do you do?” then I’ve had in years! One dear sweet gentleman even helped me pick out cantaloupe at Wal-Mart!
I could go on and on about how sweet and kind many people were while I was in Oklahoma. This last visit really made me even more determined than ever to look at retiring there someday. And I promise, if I do, I won’t accuse anyone of being high again! LOL!
It's people like you discribe that make me anxious to give a good look at OK> I can say, one time, we visited a place in OK that wasn't all that friendly which shocked us:it was Bonita (I think that is how it is spelled) anyway, we didn't know if was just the person we ran into or if the town wasn't quite as nice as all other places we visited. The interesting part, we were then looking at semi retirement and re-locating from Texas. In many ways I wish now we had moved that direction instead of to New Mexico. On the other hand had we not lived here for 6 years we wouldn't have all the fond memories we will take with us.

Nita

Old 05-18-2007, 04:20 PM

5,004 posts, read 15,346,950 times
nmnita,

you will always run into an unfriendly person somewhere. on my first trip to AR I found an unfriendly antique store dealer, just go go down the street and run into another that was worse. I thought, I don't care for those people in AR because they are not friendly like OK.

Well, I have been back there and met a lot of friendly people. My husband bought unfinished hardwood for the floors in AR, and the guy he bought it from in Fayetteville took time out of his day to show and tell him how to put it down, etc. He walked him through the entire process. The other day I called some places where I could order fans in OK, and I got the run around with sales people lying to me about Emerson not getting back to them when they called, then saying come by our showroom and see our Monte Carlos to others saying they would look it up but not calling back. And another trying to talk me into buying one from his catalog, when I wanted a different one that he would have to order. Then I called two dealers in Ft. Smith, and both called back, one in 15 minutes, other other within a half hour. I ordered the one fan from the first dealer that called, and he was kind enough to call back to make tell me if the company had a 4.5 pole for it, and then two days later he called to tell me that they would not send it out today but Monday. I will always give my business to him since we will want more fans later on.

The idea is, how many in town are nice, and not judge on just two people. I couldn't believe how nice people were in Ozark, AR when shopping in antique and other stores.

I have visited various towns in CA, and I found some to be friendly; some not. But then I was only dealing with stores.

But isn't it funny how we judge an area by a few people? I guess it is human nature.

It just seems that many go out of their way to help me when I walk into a store, and it always shocks me, and then one day it won't anymore. In CA if I walked into a store, I would have to look for help, such as, "Where are the toothpicks?" "Isle 12 on left side." Still can't find them. Here they come to you, and then they show you exactly where they are. I often find myself saying, "That's okay, I can find them." And a reply, "It's okay, I will show you." Or "Let me go get it for you." God, am I in heaven or what?

And it is so nice having people talk with you like they have known you all your life. At first I thought it strange. And my husband was saying, "Gee, the phone company comes to fix the phone line, and then they talk to you for half an hour."

Wait until you are househunting out in the country, and you stop to read a map, and then people drive by and stop and ask you if you are okay or need help. That too is shocking. And then they may stay and talk. Just don't ever be in a hurry in OK.

Last edited by Mattie Jo; 05-18-2007 at 04:25 PM.. Reason: adding

Old 05-23-2007, 08:13 AM

22 posts, read 110,390 times
I will be living in Choctaw come the end of June. I am happy to hear that people are friendly, that's the way it is here in ND. I can't wait to meet the neighbors and hope they like a neighbor who likes to get together. Maybe I'll have a welcome to the neighborhood barbeque!! I'd put on my own welcome
My fiance is already living in Choctaw, he says he has met a few of the neighbors, but they mostly keep to themselves, he is very outgoing, more so than me. I am wondering if they are waiting to introduce themselves once the lady of the house arrives?
My daughter (13) is so worried about leaving all her friends in the neighborhood and not having anyone to hang with in the new neighborhood. It will all take time I'm sure to "fit in".
I can't wait to move and meet new people.
Lisa

Old 05-23-2007, 12:18 PM

114 posts, read 602,221 times
[quote=Nameless;699467]
The south is more friendly on the surface, perfect strangers will come up and ask you something and you'll get welcomed nicely to an event.

The north is a bit cold on the surface, but once you get to know the people they're as nice if not nicer than people in the south.
QUOTE]

Having lived both in the North and in the Deep South, I think your observations are pretty accurate. That being said, IMO, Oklahomans are the most down to earth people there are. I've lived there on three separate occasions and can hardly wait to get back.

Old 05-24-2007, 12:24 PM

74 posts, read 316,734 times
last night i was doing my laundry in the laundrybuilding and as usual the dryers (sp?) sucked. i had run them twice and my load was still wet (i even switched machine) when i went back to look at it- by then it was already midnight- there was a guy doing a TON of laundry and when my laundry turned out still wet and i ran out of quarters he actually gave me money to run not one but two machines!

not to say i was reallt gratefull and happy that there's still people like that out there.

disspaointment was big to both of us that after those two my laundry was STILL wet. he was gonna decide which dryers to use after my using the machines.
but that wasnt the point of the post hehe... it was so nice that he actually just gave me the quarters and wouldnt take no for an answer

i gave up drying at 1.30am :-S. i ended up hanging it all over the appartment. cant imagine how long he must have been stuck there. probably til morning

nice guy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma