Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2012, 01:55 AM

5 posts, read 18,605 times

Advertisements

Hello everybody,,
I am interested in studying at northeastern state university at Tahlequah. I have no idea about this city, so I would like to ask some question.
1- How is the life in this city? is it boring or OK?
2- Does this city have public transportation (buses)?
3- Is it a safe city?
4- Are people friendly especial with international students (Muslim)?
5- What's the average price for apartments?
thank you a lot...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 02:16 PM

48 posts, read 98,828 times
1. Depends on what you want to do or interested in. There are tons of places to drink and be social. Also, not too far from the river to go fish, camp, or also drink and be social.

2. There isn't the kind of public transportation like a larger city would have. There are a few different companies that offer transportation to the public, but most people will drive their own vehicles or ride their bikes, etc.

3. Its fairly safe, IMO, not without the occasional felony arrests, but for the most part i think most crime would be alcohol related events due to it being a college town. I felt that it was a pretty safe town, they have city police, county sheriff, oklahoma hwy patrol, cherokee marshalls, etc that all have jurisdiction there so there is plenty of law enforcement patrolling the streets.

4. Just like any other places. There are clicks in the city, but generally speaking Tahlequah is pretty welcoming to everyone. There are tons of international students who live there.

5. The apartment pricing can vary quite a lot. There are tons of choices for apartments, and living with or without roommates can also change the cost by a bunch. I'd say a decent budget for rent and utilities will run you around $500.

Overall, i can say i really enjoyed living in Tahlequah when i was there, and even miss it sometimes, but i don't think that was the city as much as my friends i made while there. There are tons of things to do in or around the city. (Mostly, eating, drinking, and recreational stuff) Good luck!

-John

Old 05-31-2012, 10:50 PM

Thank you so much. You answered my questions very well.

Old 06-01-2012, 11:15 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,626,486 times
It's always nice when someone asks about an Oklahoma town that doesn't get subjected to much bad mouthing.

Old 06-01-2012, 01:12 PM

1,359 posts, read 4,849,187 times
I think just about everyone likes Tahlequah. If I could live anywhere in the state and nothing else was a consideration [work, etc.] I'd probably live there.

Old 06-04-2012, 06:54 PM

You guys made me like this city more.... I am going to start school in January. I hope that I will have a great experience.
Thanks to everyone.

Old 06-05-2012, 09:51 AM

5,190 posts, read 5,333,832 times
It's definitely one of the more liveable towns in OK, and the area where it's located is one of the prettier regions of the state.

My father taught at NSU for several years and I used to live in Tulsa so I've spent a good deal of time there. Good luck with school!

Old 06-08-2012, 07:15 PM

48 posts, read 98,828 times
you're welcome and good luck with the move and your studies!

Old 06-14-2012, 02:00 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,254,914 times
Tahlequah is a town of about 15,000 that is located in the foothills of the Ozark National Forest in a very pretty natural environment in the eastern part of the state. It is not far from the Illinois River where it is not uncommon to find a canoeist or two.

Tahlequah is the home of the Cherokee Nation. You will have an excellent opportunity to learn new cultures and histories as you will be living in the Native State. Is is said that Oklahoma is home to more Native American tribes than any other state except perhaps California.

Regarding the river, there is a strong connection between the Illinois Confederation and the Nine Federally Recognized Tribes of Eastern Oklahoma Region, and the Illinois River as Illinois, Arkansas and Oklahoma each have a large river of the same name. Here is a link to the river and Tahlequah.

Illinois River | TravelOK.com - Oklahoma's Official Travel & Tourism Site
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma