U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2009, 09:13 AM

20,058 posts, read 17,131,854 times

Advertisements

How is it for race relations? B&W?, NA&W?, etc.

Are interracial families accepted there? Or is it like the South?

Would love some honest answers because we are considering relocating there. Thank you!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2009, 10:10 AM

5,519 posts, read 8,857,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
How is it for race relations? B&W?, NA&W?, etc.

Are interracial families accepted there? Or is it like the South?

Would love some honest answers because we are considering relocating there. Thank you!
Where are you relocating from?

And yes, it is like the South, but that by no means it struggles any more with race relations than any other place. The most racist place I've ever lived was on the so-called progressive East Coast (Boston to be exact).

Old 01-24-2010, 08:39 PM

1 posts, read 1,989 times
Default Lived in Ponca over 30 years and now live 22 miles away

I am white and my husband is black/native american. We live in Ark City, KS, which is 22 miles north of Ponca. I think you'd find Ponca a pleasant place to live. I can assure you that here in Ark City, there is no problem with interracial marriages. I was not married to my current husband while I lived there so can't really say. I would visit before relocating and talk to people in Wal-Mart, McDonald's, etc. And attend some church services to check out the climate.

Old 01-28-2010, 10:30 PM

14,848 posts, read 10,789,723 times
I grew up in Ponca City. When I was in high school our star football player (who was black) dated a white girl whom he later married. That was 1973.

The young woman involved in this relationship was one of the most attractive, intelligent girls in the school. She was from an upper middle class family in town. The young man involved was from a family who still lived in the traditionally black part of town. His family was not well off.

They did not hide the fact that they were dating, and I remember most of the other students being respectful of them realizing that it took a lot of courage for them to be a couple in those times.

I'm sure that it wasn't easy for them but I don't believe they could have dated in the open like they did in a less tolerant community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma