U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-19-2009, 10:40 PM
 
75 posts, read 208,180 times
Reputation: 48

Advertisements

We are retired and going to move to Grove in the next year. We are coming this spring to house hunt. We would love to have a house on the Grand Lake, one with a covered dock, Wish us luck. We visited Grove last year and stayed at Cedar Oaks camp ground, wonderful hosts there. Then we explored the whole eastern side down to Broken Bow. Grove had the best "feel" of any of the areas we visited. Grove is known as a retirement town, are there any clubs specifically for the retired people?

Correct me if I am wrong, but it seemed that last winter was much milder than this winter. I check the Weather Channel every day and so far
Grove's weather temps have been very close to central Illinois where I live. Is this winter typical of Grove? Or it is an odd year with colder weather?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-19-2009, 10:55 PM
 
1 posts, read 4,384 times
Reputation: 11
My parents retired there - you might say the entire town is a club specifically for retired people. As far as temperature, I can't imagine it's as cold as central Illinois - it's usually about 5 degrees cooler than Tulsa, with extra "lake effect" wet snow. This winter has been a little cooler than usual. They had a terrible ice storm in 06, but no serious winter weather since then. If you can find a house with natural gas heat, you'll be far better off - the rural electric coop is a ripoff- bad service at an outrageous price.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2009, 07:01 AM
 
Location: So. Dak.
13,495 posts, read 36,073,593 times
Reputation: 15193
The weather in Grove has been consistently below average for the past few months. Just an example~yesterday the high was 36. The average high for the day was 47. There have been days where it's been 10 to 20 degrees below avg. for the highs. I'm a weather nerd so that's the only reason I know that.

Good luck on your retirement to Grove. It is definitely one of the coolest places we've ever seen.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2009, 08:29 AM
 
702 posts, read 2,391,608 times
Reputation: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by defarge View Post
My parents retired there - you might say the entire town is a club specifically for retired people. As far as temperature, I can't imagine it's as cold as central Illinois - it's usually about 5 degrees cooler than Tulsa, with extra "lake effect" wet snow. This winter has been a little cooler than usual. They had a terrible ice storm in 06, but no serious winter weather since then. If you can find a house with natural gas heat, you'll be far better off - the rural electric coop is a ripoff- bad service at an outrageous price.
I live on Grand Lake, on the south end and our house is all electric. Our electric service is very reliable (REC = Northeast Oklahoma Electric Coop) and the rates are very reasonable IMHO.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2009, 08:30 AM
 
75 posts, read 208,180 times
Reputation: 48
Default Weather

Thanks for the replies. Looking forward to our move, but yes, the temps have been very close to central Illinois this winter, so far at least. We haven't gotten any of the bitter cold Illinois is know for, or any real snow storms, knock on wood and keeping my fingers crossed. Watching the weather and also there has been very little temp difference between Grove and Broken Bow. Now that was a surprise, last year Broken Bow was at least 10 degrees warmer. Weather weird this year.

Part of the reason for leaving Illinois definately was the weather. We are outdoor people, husband loves to hunt and fish. I love to garden and am locked in the house all winter, burrrrrrrr.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2009, 02:01 PM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
77,804 posts, read 97,804,748 times
Reputation: 49113
Enjoy your life in Grove, as for the weather, like here in NWA I think this year is going to be a bit colder than usual, certainly we are not accustom to snow in December...

I am sure you are making a good decision, moving to Grove. We settled here in NWA almost 2 years ago. We had narrowed our choices down to Grove or Bella Vista...

Merry Christmas...

Nita
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2009, 05:53 AM
 
Location: Not where you ever lived
11,538 posts, read 28,788,629 times
Reputation: 6405
I lved in Grove for many years. Some years were colder, some years hotter. The best thing sbout Delaware County is they know how to keep roads open and they do a good job of it. The OK sun is does a very good job of snow removal. One year we had 18 inches. By the third day the only trace of sun was the piles in the parking lots. Don't worry about the weather. Dallas, Lake of the Ozarks, St. Louis, New Mexico is colder this year, too. Feburary is traditionally the colest month. Unless it is a really cold winter, the BBQ will be smoking New Years Day. Most year the backyard chef is in short sleeve shirts. You have more to fear from OK tornadoes than you do winter weather. If you stay between Dillar Cove, 99th Street, Blue Bluff and Shundai you should be prefectly safe. Grand Lake has 200 fishing tourneys every year. If you peace and quite, do not buy a house on Honey Creek, Sailboat aor cow skin arms of the lake. Been there done that. If you
have a trolling motor that's quiet, you can moter very close to the pelicans --- great photo opportunity.

The one thing you do need to know about lake front property is you own it and you are reqposible for removing all debree from the water line after a flood. Dillar Cove is an excellent location and you won't bet much debris from the flood. The original Buffalo Shores is on Dillar across from the Grand Lake Sailing Club. They have private covered docks. After wittnessing what the lake can do, I was quite glad to live in Dillar Cove.

If you travel 59S toward Jay - turn right onto Lake Rd 6 - across the street from Meagan Coves. Turn right at the first 4-way stop. This road goes to Buffalo Shores. The high fenced area begins the community. If you follow the road to the left you will see Dillar Cove. Buffalo Shores is known for its beautiful homes. If you go back to the 4 way stop and turn right and follow the road another mile or so you should see a sign "Grand Lake Sailing Club. Turn right. When you get to the club enttance on the left is a small cul de sac of very nice homes. You can also drive into teh club grounds and follow the road down by the dock where you can see more of Dillar Cove. Once you get settled you will enjoy the area.

There is a senior center that seves lunch. The community center always has something for seniors. Great new library with computers, reading room and a genealogy section. The library gets newspapers M-F. There is a jumior college and a new physicians building. Dr, Calicoat is one of the best Cardiologist in the four state area. St. Francis in Tulsa has Heart Wing. The Tulsa Heart Care invented the stent that is widely used today. As a senior you can and should get home health care after heart surgery.

If you have an RV and like to camp, Check out Honey Creek State Park. Follow Main - 59s - Lake Rd 1. It is next to the Dairy Queen. Turn right and follow it to the end. It is full service with power and water to RV sites and a pump out station with gray water. Covered picinic tables, showers and phone. You can have coffee in the morning and watch the sun rise over the lake. There is a boat launch too. It is less expensive than in town.

As to travel toward Honey Creek you will pass Broadway. If you turn right you are about a mile from the Grove Hospita and EMT. This hospital also has life flight service. For a small hospital they do a very good job.

Ther is a lot of interesting things to do in the area. I love Tomcat Corner BBQ - they smoke their own. 58N toward Afton 1-44 entrance. One of my favorite spring trips was to Muskogee and the Honor Park Azalea Festival in the spring. It is an enormous park that is all dress up for Spring.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2009, 05:14 PM
 
Location: Oklahoma(formerly SoCalif) Originally Mich,
13,387 posts, read 18,470,100 times
Reputation: 4611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugqueen View Post
Thanks for the replies. Looking forward to our move, but yes, the temps have been very close to central Illinois this winter, so far at least. We haven't gotten any of the bitter cold Illinois is know for, or any real snow storms, knock on wood and keeping my fingers crossed. Watching the weather and also there has been very little temp difference between Grove and Broken Bow. Now that was a surprise, last year Broken Bow was at least 10 degrees warmer. Weather weird this year.

Part of the reason for leaving Illinois definately was the weather. We are outdoor people, husband loves to hunt and fish. I love to garden and am locked in the house all winter, burrrrrrrr.
I guess you knocked on artificial wood and your fingers weren't crossed long enough.
Oklahoma has more snow than many Northern states. But it won't last.
This is my 3rd and coldest winter in Oklahoma.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2010, 09:03 AM
 
75 posts, read 208,180 times
Reputation: 48
Smile Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
I lved in Grove for many years. Some years were colder, some years hotter. The best thing sbout Delaware County is they know how to keep roads open and they do a good job of it. The OK sun is does a very good job of snow removal. One year we had 18 inches. By the third day the only trace of sun was the piles in the parking lots. Don't worry about the weather. Dallas, Lake of the Ozarks, St. Louis, New Mexico is colder this year, too. Feburary is traditionally the colest month. Unless it is a really cold winter, the BBQ will be smoking New Years Day. Most year the backyard chef is in short sleeve shirts. You have more to fear from OK tornadoes than you do winter weather. If you stay between Dillar Cove, 99th Street, Blue Bluff and Shundai you should be prefectly safe. Grand Lake has 200 fishing tourneys every year. If you peace and quite, do not buy a house on Honey Creek, Sailboat aor cow skin arms of the lake. Been there done that. If you
have a trolling motor that's quiet, you can moter very close to the pelicans --- great photo opportunity.

The one thing you do need to know about lake front property is you own it and you are reqposible for removing all debree from the water line after a flood. Dillar Cove is an excellent location and you won't bet much debris from the flood. The original Buffalo Shores is on Dillar across from the Grand Lake Sailing Club. They have private covered docks. After wittnessing what the lake can do, I was quite glad to live in Dillar Cove.

If you travel 59S toward Jay - turn right onto Lake Rd 6 - across the street from Meagan Coves. Turn right at the first 4-way stop. This road goes to Buffalo Shores. The high fenced area begins the community. If you follow the road to the left you will see Dillar Cove. Buffalo Shores is known for its beautiful homes. If you go back to the 4 way stop and turn right and follow the road another mile or so you should see a sign "Grand Lake Sailing Club. Turn right. When you get to the club enttance on the left is a small cul de sac of very nice homes. You can also drive into teh club grounds and follow the road down by the dock where you can see more of Dillar Cove. Once you get settled you will enjoy the area.

There is a senior center that seves lunch. The community center always has something for seniors. Great new library with computers, reading room and a genealogy section. The library gets newspapers M-F. There is a jumior college and a new physicians building. Dr, Calicoat is one of the best Cardiologist in the four state area. St. Francis in Tulsa has Heart Wing. The Tulsa Heart Care invented the stent that is widely used today. As a senior you can and should get home health care after heart surgery.

If you have an RV and like to camp, Check out Honey Creek State Park. Follow Main - 59s - Lake Rd 1. It is next to the Dairy Queen. Turn right and follow it to the end. It is full service with power and water to RV sites and a pump out station with gray water. Covered picinic tables, showers and phone. You can have coffee in the morning and watch the sun rise over the lake. There is a boat launch too. It is less expensive than in town.

As to travel toward Honey Creek you will pass Broadway. If you turn right you are about a mile from the Grove Hospita and EMT. This hospital also has life flight service. For a small hospital they do a very good job.

Ther is a lot of interesting things to do in the area. I love Tomcat Corner BBQ - they smoke their own. 58N toward Afton 1-44 entrance. One of my favorite spring trips was to Muskogee and the Honor Park Azalea Festival in the spring. It is an enormous park that is all dress up for Spring.
Thanks for all the information, very interesting to hear from someone who has been there and done that. I never thought about the fishing tournaments, that would be a bummer for a lake side resident! I really really appreciate your advice.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2010, 11:02 AM
 
702 posts, read 2,391,608 times
Reputation: 556
Yea, it's horrible living in waterfront property on Grand. Please be sure you tell everyone you know too!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top