Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2010, 07:53 PM

26 posts, read 20,804 times

Advertisements

Can somebody help me? I'm writing a novel set in a fictional town about 30 miles west of Ardmore. Can find plenty of info on Ardmore and points east and north, but can't find anything about what the area due west is like. If I was to drive west on US-70 what would I see? Cattle? Trees? Farms?

How big would the business district in a town the size of Ringling be? Would the businesses and homes be constructed of brick, cinderblock, steel?

If I don't find some information soon, I'll have to change the setting or get in my motorhome and drive out there. Any information or suggestions about other websites to go to for infomration would also be deeply appreciated. I have already pulled everything I can find from the Oklahoma State website.

Should anyone have any photo's of the area I would be more grateful than I can express.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2010, 08:33 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,442,204 times
Hello eileenmaud,

Generally speaking, the terrain of southwestern OK is part of the southern Great Plains, but eventually turns to the eastern woodlands as you travel east.

If you click on city-data's homepage, you can click on any of the small towns or cities and some will have pics. Also, consult the picture threads because I think LadyRobyn has taken a few road trips and snapped pics along the way.

Almost all the small towns in OK look the same, and even the county seats will have the cool limestone buildings which were built in the early 1900s.

Here are two from Waurika area (pics from city data)

Old 01-02-2010, 09:27 AM

533 posts, read 1,703,365 times
Believe it or not Google Maps has street view of Ringling.

Might not be such a good example though because of the circus connection.

Last edited by LadyRobyn; 01-02-2010 at 10:32 AM.. Reason: epodunk is a "competitive" website and links are not allowed... Thanks!

Old 01-02-2010, 10:19 AM

215 posts, read 522,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flintysooner View Post
Believe it or not Google Maps has street view of Ringling.

Might not be such a good example though because of the circus connection.
What a great site. I can river raft from here until the real thing arrives. I put in Tahlequah and away I went. Where do you guys find these sites? Thanks.

Last edited by LadyRobyn; 01-02-2010 at 10:33 AM.. Reason: removed orphaned portion of quote...

Old 01-02-2010, 12:01 PM

26 posts, read 20,804 times
Thanks for the info. I did find the Ringling site with the global pictures of the downtown area. I also visited all the business sites so I know how many gas stations they have, florists, the number of kids in the schools,etc. Also came across an interesting news article that said last winter the Mayor, Police Chief and all the police officers resigned. I think there were eight or nine of them which sounded like a lot for such a small town. There were also accusations that the School Board was corrupt and that the student athletes were faking drug test results.

Hard to believe a small town like that would have so many problems. I guess the size of a town may be inversely proportional to the ablity of the residents to get along.

Still wondering, however, would it be accurate if a tornado picked up a van and tossed it into a grove of trees along side the road? I wasn't sure if there were hardwood trees along I-70 near Ringling or if it was mainly mesquite and high grasses. Would I see cattle grazing on ranches with oil rigs pumping away along side in the pastures? How about farms? Do they grow wheat out that way?

Thanks again for the help. If anyone needs information on the south central area of the west coast of Florida, I'll be glad to help.

Old 01-02-2010, 07:01 PM

410 posts, read 1,102,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eileenmaud View Post
Still wondering, however, would it be accurate if a tornado picked up a van and tossed it into a grove of trees along side the road? I wasn't sure if there were hardwood trees along I-70 near Ringling or if it was mainly mesquite and high grasses. Would I see cattle grazing on ranches with oil rigs pumping away along side in the pastures? How about farms? Do they grow wheat out that way?
I grew up in this area and have relatives in Ringling and Ryan.

It would be accurate if a tornado picked up a van and tossed it into a grove of trees along side the road. There are hardwood trees along Highway 70 (Not an Interstate), mostly in clumps near homesites or in creekbeds or bayous. You are picking an area to write about that could be described either way--I-35 (going north and south) is a good line to divide the state into two sections--the eastern, hilly woodlands and the mesquite and high grasses in the west. Ringling lies just west of I-35 and the hardwoods do begin to give out in this area, but not totally. The further west you go, the less trees you will see, but there are still stands of trees in and around Ringling. You would definitely see cattle grazing on ranches and oil rigs pumping away. You would also see regular farms, although wheat is not grown all that much--peanuts are a big crop, and corn, and alfalfa (something that looks similar to wheat when growing).

Good luck on your book and dm me if you need more information, I'm an aspiring writer as well and I'm happy to help!

Old 01-02-2010, 07:10 PM

410 posts, read 1,102,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eileenmaud View Post
How big would the business district in a town the size of Ringling be? Would the businesses and homes be constructed of brick, cinderblock, steel?
Businesses in a town like Ringling would be limited--along the highway you might find a grocery store, a restaurant or two, maybe a drive-in, a couple of convenience stores and maybe one motel. The business district is about two blocks long--some of the old buildings built 100 years ago would be of brick, newer ones would be frame or maybe metal buildings. As for homes--the nicest ones would be of brick, the majority wood framed, with a lot of mobile homes and maybe an odd stone house or two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma