U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 01:13 PM

14 posts, read 68,826 times

Advertisements

Hi all I was wondering if you could give any info on blackwell like is it a good area are the schools good is it a safe area whats there to do hows the weather? and How bout them dang tornadoes??? How bout the air quality? how bout is there a place to go kick up your heels once ina blue moon? any iformation greatly appreciated!
Thanks again!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2007, 05:02 PM

1 posts, read 5,073 times
I live 15 miles away in Ponca City, Blackwell is a hell hole-- highest in the county for teen pregs, drugs, incest, drop out rate etc.. Know alot of social service workers in that area--they keep busy... Town is about 5,000 or so, dirty, run down, not much industry or business. Only reason they have a McDonalds or Braum's is cuz is sets on I-35 major interstate. Hope you don't have to move there.

Old 05-28-2007, 12:23 AM

14 posts, read 68,826 times
Wow thanks for the reply! Definatley doesnt sound like a place I would want to raise my boys! 1 is 16 and in top 5% in nation academically and other is 3 Think I will have to do better research!!! any ideas??? Need clean air have mother with COPD and good schools.

Old 05-28-2007, 12:03 PM

29,174 posts, read 18,849,035 times
Stillwater is a good place to settle down if your son wants to go to OSU. Schools are good with Stillwater High School recently completing two huge additions, a new gym and a performing arts center. Both OSU and Stillwater are growing, so it's an interesting time to live there.

Old 06-04-2007, 02:47 AM

146 posts, read 988,442 times
I lived in Tonkawa, nice little town with a good library, good place to raise kids but the school system lacks in quality. We sent our son to a private school (Lutheran) in Ponca City. It was great.

(I concurr on Blackwell, kind of the armpit of the county in people.)

Old 06-09-2007, 07:56 PM

5 posts, read 18,724 times
I now live in Tonkawa.I dont know why Dolly says the school system lacks in quality.They just built a new school top of the line believe me

Old 06-09-2007, 09:08 PM

146 posts, read 988,442 times
A nice new building doesn't mean it is a good school system. When we moved out of state, we began home schooling our son as the public school system here was fraught with problems and it was the school I attended growing up. My personal opinion is that I wouldn't give you two cents for most any public school anymore so don't get your drawers in a dither. I am a big fan of private schools, that's all. I said I like the community, I just wouldn't send my kids to school there.

Old 06-27-2007, 12:04 PM

5 posts, read 21,813 times
I agree. Tonkawa is a sports town, not an academic town. 4 Academic All-Staters in the last 20 years. Entrance to National Honor Society is given with a 3.5 GPA-- no hard task in a school of open book tests, few lectures, and few tests. The new building had more to do with economics than pride in academics.

Tonkawa has a population of just over 3,000, and is on the line between A and 2A. Blackwell is a 4A school, so must have more than 5,000 people. As for the quality of teenaged life, I would be more worried about Ponca. Blackwell actually does have quite a bit of industry, but I guess it would seem like nothing compared to Ponca.

The weather right now is unusually rainy. The summers are usually dry, hitting 100 in early June and not going down until August. Fall gets chilly in the middle of football season, early November, often first snowfall is in mid to late December, chances of snow until February. Spring break is often sunny, sometimes randomly. By the time school lets out, everyone is back in shorts and flip-flops.

Old 02-09-2008, 08:56 PM

1 posts, read 4,886 times
Default about our town

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanap98 View Post
Hi all I was wondering if you could give any info on blackwell like is it a good area are the schools good is it a safe area whats there to do hows the weather? and How bout them dang tornadoes??? How bout the air quality? how bout is there a place to go kick up your heels once ina blue moon? any iformation greatly appreciated!
Thanks again!
HI, JUST WANTED YOU TO KNOW I DONT KNOW WHERE THAT LADY GOT ALL HER INFORMATION....BLACKWELL IS A MUCH BETTER AND SAFER PLACE TO LIVE THAN PONCA CITY. YOU SHOULD LOOK US UP ON THE CHAMBER WEBSITE. WE HAVE VERY GOOD SCHOOLS HERE AND CLEAN AIR. I WELCOME YOU TO CHECK US OUT THROUGHLY...THE OPINIONS YOU GOT WERE JUST THAT...THANKS...CAROLYN

Old 02-09-2008, 11:18 PM

3,160 posts, read 10,162,862 times
Hi Carolyn from Blackwell, welcome to the forum!

I would like to hear more about Blackwell, as well as Tonkawa and Ponca City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>