Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 09:41 AM

2,919 posts, read 6,826,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Rest assured that if it gets as bad as it's gotten over the past few years, your local Southern Baptist's will be along with a feeding unit and chain saw crews to help out.

The Oklahoma Southern Baptist Disaster Relief organization is on full alert for immediate deployment right now. All the feeding units are stocked and ready to go. The chainsaw's are sharpened and gassed. The volunteer crews are sitting on their duffle bags waiting for a call.
Always good news Stillkit! My next-door neighbor is a member of the OSBDR Organization and I know help is just a shout away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2010, 09:48 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,521,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyRobyn View Post
Always good news Stillkit! My next-door neighbor is a member of the OSBDR Organization and I know help is just a shout away.

If he's on a chainsaw crew out of Duncan I probably know him. I usually go with a crew from the Frisco Association or as an assessor and I've worked alongside the Duncan crew more than once. In fact, they were housed in the same church with us last year in Texas City, after Hurricane Ike, and I believe they were in Tahlequah with us for last years ice storm too.

Old 01-28-2010, 10:05 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,529,748 times
Cool links on the OP, LR. Good job.

TROOP G- Caddo County is experiencing ice forming on the roadway with power outages near Carnegie, Oklahoma. Comanche, Grady, and Stephens Counties are experiencing freezing rain at this time. Bridges and overpasses will become slick quickly. 10:40 hrs. 01/28/10 kh

Old 01-28-2010, 10:27 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,521,713 times
An Uncle in Tuttle reports this (Tuttle is between OKC and Chickasha):

The ice that is now falling, the sleet and snow later is what we are concerned with today. We have a very serious situation developing. Altus and other communites in SW OK are reporting down power lines and tree limbs at this time. What we are praying for is a quick changeover to sleet.
West of El Reno, I-40 is ice covered with freezing rain still falling.
The OKC area is being forcasted to have about an inch of ice. If that be the case, we will be in serious trouble. Pray for us.

Old 01-28-2010, 11:44 AM

Ice in Duncan, OK | News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports KWTV.com YouNewsâ„¢ (http://www.younewstv.com/areas/kwtv/82944892.html?img=2&mg=t - broken link)

That was about 2 hours ago...now that branch is almost touching the ground.

I have it on *good* authority that HWY 7 between Duncan and Ratliff City is still in good shape. (That authority will be out working the roads until 7pm tonight. )

More reports coming in for Stephens county of trees down and broken branches...one landed on a Postal Truck. But so far the power outages are limited to individual houses that have had tree branches fall.

Old 01-28-2010, 11:59 AM

13,387 posts, read 19,421,922 times
I threw a shower curtain over the windshield of my truck last night.

BROWN'S on Main ST. in Duncan will be open to sharpen and make saw chains and repair chain saws.

Old 01-28-2010, 12:59 PM

2,733 posts, read 1,545,040 times
My City of Duncan power has flickered off and on four times now. Each time it knocked off the TV and made the carbon monoxide detectors buzz loudly. It keeps dimming and coming back on now. Hope it stays on!

Old 01-28-2010, 01:07 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,421,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by educator1953 View Post
My City of Duncan power has flickered off and on four times now. Each time it knocked off the TV and made the carbon monoxide detectors buzz loudly. It keeps dimming and coming back on now. Hope it stays on!
The Radio station KKEN 97.1 just went out. But they have a bad habit of that even in good weather.

My lights have been dimming.

Old 01-28-2010, 01:08 PM

Welp! I am logging out for awhile...just heard the ominous sound of a transformer arcing and fixin' to blow. And a nearby tree exploded. When I looked out back a large branch from our Pine came crashing down and shattered everywhere.

This is/was my crapemyrtle about an hour ago and it is now resting firmly on the power line...

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff80/LadyRobyn/crapeinice.jpg (broken link)

Listening to the scanner, trees are snapping all over town and a few have caused fires from falling into the lines.

I'm off to unplug the expensive toys in the house. Stay Safe! See ya later!

Old 01-28-2010, 01:30 PM

664 posts, read 2,093,121 times
Robyn... think that thing is due for a trim.. of course you don't think about it until times like this huh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma