U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 11:33 AM

3,724 posts, read 8,804,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
I thought fusion cooking was all about making ethnic recipes using local ingredients kari? If that's the case, couldn't you make some bass sushi?
That's partly true. It's also a combination of various dishes/cookinig styles from a single country - such as China - where there are several discrete ways of fixing the same thing, but Szechuan chicken is not Hunan chicken!. As for using local ingrediants in new ways, I've made tacos with salmon [actually that's pretty well-known and they are called Aleut Tacos], used kim chee instead of salsa in regular tacos, made shish-kabob with venison marinated in salad dressing, and so on. DH grew up in SoCal where his best friend was Japanese and he loved Japanese food, and Mexican food, and Midwestern country food, and spent quite a few years in Seattle, where there were still more Asian foods to choose from. You haven't lived until you've watched Mongolian Barbeque done, it's always fun to watch the cooks flinging the ingredients around and catch them in a bowl in mid-air - and once in a great while, one of them misses and that's pretty much a show-stopper.

Kodiak had a fairly large population of primarily Filipinos, so there were a lot of their ethnic food ingredients available, both in the grocery stores and in a couple Oriental food stores. There's a banana sauce, for instance, that looks like ketchup and comes in the same kind of bottle, but it's hotter than a 3 dollar pistol on Saturday night! One of my friends' specialty was the Filipino version of Leche Flan, which is similar to the Mexican one, but she thought it was a major PITA to caramelize all that sugar so she just used about a cup of maple syrup instead.

But my original point was that most of the ingredients used in the fusion cooking of the Bay Area just wouldn't be available here. When is the last time you saw red bean paste on a grocery shelf in OK?
Rate this post positively

Old 08-04-2008, 12:06 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,036,134 times
Its best not to eat fresh water fish raw.

Old 08-04-2008, 12:36 PM

11,884 posts, read 35,349,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post
That's partly true. It's also a combination of various dishes/cookinig styles from a single country - such as China - where there are several discrete ways of fixing the same thing, but Szechuan chicken is not Hunan chicken!. As for using local ingrediants in new ways, I've made tacos with salmon [actually that's pretty well-known and they are called Aleut Tacos], used kim chee instead of salsa in regular tacos, made shish-kabob with venison marinated in salad dressing, and so on. DH grew up in SoCal where his best friend was Japanese and he loved Japanese food, and Mexican food, and Midwestern country food, and spent quite a few years in Seattle, where there were still more Asian foods to choose from. You haven't lived until you've watched Mongolian Barbeque done, it's always fun to watch the cooks flinging the ingredients around and catch them in a bowl in mid-air - and once in a great while, one of them misses and that's pretty much a show-stopper.

Kodiak had a fairly large population of primarily Filipinos, so there were a lot of their ethnic food ingredients available, both in the grocery stores and in a couple Oriental food stores. There's a banana sauce, for instance, that looks like ketchup and comes in the same kind of bottle, but it's hotter than a 3 dollar pistol on Saturday night! One of my friends' specialty was the Filipino version of Leche Flan, which is similar to the Mexican one, but she thought it was a major PITA to caramelize all that sugar so she just used about a cup of maple syrup instead.

But my original point was that most of the ingredients used in the fusion cooking of the Bay Area just wouldn't be available here. When is the last time you saw red bean paste on a grocery shelf in OK?
Thanks for the info kari. My wife is Japanese and her mother still lives in Japan so I get a regular does of good Japanese cooking.. We even have the "real" stuff sent over here from Japan on a weekly basis. Not full meals though.. lol.

Here in the DFW area you can go into the neighborhood Kroger or Tom Thumb grocery stores and get just about any spice, sauce, or anything else you need. There are plenty of ethnic stores as well. My favorite part of the grocery store is the aisle where they have all of the different pastes, sauces, and other ingredients from around the world.

Thai, Vietnamese, Japanese, Chinese, Indian, Middle Eastern, Mexican, and the list goes on and on. I love it. I'm especially fond of Lebanese food, and of course - Mexican and Italian. My wife loves Italian food. I swear, if she could eat pasta for every meal, she'd do it.

Oh, and GP, even though I'm married to a Japanese woman, I hate sushi! So, freshwater fish raw would be out of the question as well.

Old 08-04-2008, 01:33 PM

13,387 posts, read 18,292,036 times
My first time with sushi:
I was at an In-Laws Wedding at Malibu Beach. They were cooking outside on the beach front. I seen a platter of raw white fish meat strips and assumed it was sushi. I took a strip and bit into it. It was like rubber. Come to find out it was(uncooked) white shark.

Old 08-04-2008, 01:34 PM

11,884 posts, read 35,349,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
My first time with sushi:
I was at an In-Laws Wedding at Malibu Beach. They were cooking outside on the beach front. I seen a platter of raw white fish meat strips and assumed it was sushi. I took a strip and bit into it. It was like rubber. Come to find out it was(uncooked) white shark.

Yes, the stuff is nasty if you ask me.

Old 08-04-2008, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
Its best not to eat fresh water fish raw.
Same for raw saltwater fish, too.

But I definitely make an exception for mild-cure lox!

Last edited by karibear; 08-04-2008 at 01:39 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 08-04-2008, 04:16 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,036,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post

Oh, and GP, even though I'm married to a Japanese woman, I hate sushi! So, freshwater fish raw would be out of the question as well.
We have shops like that all around this area.......been here for years.......we just have a different name for it.....at least I THINK sushi translated to English (at least Okie) is spelled "B A I T"

Old 08-04-2008, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
We have shops like that all around this area.......been here for years.......we just have a different name for it.....at least I THINK sushi translated to English (at least Okie) is spelled "B A I T"
Philistine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread
>