Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 01:01 PM

7,887 posts, read 11,400,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swake View Post
I think of Durant as being more South Central Oklahoma, it's must more similar to North Texas than the South.
I grew up there and never heard anyone refer to us as anything but little dixie and SE oklahoma but I agree it is just on the edge of the hills that I think of in SE OK.

It is becoming a distant suburb of N. Dallas, Cardinal glass makes the glass for high end windows and other uses. It considered Denison and Sherman who offered a city provided water tower for the glass plant if they located in N. Tx... they picked Durant. Durant's economic development group can compete with N. Texas towns now. It is recognized as close to DFW (An hour from Plano and an hour and a half from DFW airport) and with a good educated workforce. Im shocked but it is growing and doing fine. Its a good small town to consider for someone wanting such things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2013, 01:14 PM

778 posts, read 2,321,803 times
^
Its pretty much the northernmost extension of DFW. They have some very progressive leadership.

Unfortunately I tend to agree with swake that the SE quadrant of the state outside of Durant is really stagnant. A lot of those areas have been declining in population for the past 30-50 years, outside the occasional resort community. Its really a quite beautiful area, and the sad thing is the decline doesn't have to happen.

In any event, OKC and Tulsa have been in the drivers seat of this state for some time now, and to suggest otherwise is quite laughable. This is not even a debate among most serious people in Oklahoma, and if anything, the western part of the state is gaining clout due to increased mineral production. Even then, most of this activity is administered in the two cities.

Old 03-01-2013, 05:27 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,249,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnspecial View Post
SE Oklahoma is part of the real south(as is most of Oklahoma) and it will survive just fine.
How do you come up with this? "most of Oklahoma is part of the real south"

Most of Oklahoma is part of the real South???

Old 03-01-2013, 05:39 PM

17,773 posts, read 13,665,953 times
Quote:
For example, McCurtain county's population has basically remained the same since 1980. Leflore has actually gained population by 4.7 percent.
The only reason that Leflore county is growing is because of Ft. Smith. What is absolutely hilarious is about the only part of the state where democrats can still get elected. It's the part of the state that probably gets the biggest per capita of government "handouts."

Old 03-02-2013, 07:54 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,498,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
The only reason that Leflore county is growing is because of Ft. Smith. What is absolutely hilarious is about the only part of the state where democrats can still get elected. It's the part of the state that probably gets the biggest per capita of government "handouts."
Sounds like my kinda place! However, let's be honest: a Dem from that area (or pretty much all of Oklahoma for that matter) is not going to be a Lib in the the likeness of the Coastal Libs....Thank God!

I've found that the vast majority of Oklahoma Dems are generally more conservative (especially on social issues) than many Repubs from other states. Just my experience and I kinda like it that way. Oklahoma is unique....can't be fitted into someone else's little narrow-minded box.

Old 03-03-2013, 04:06 AM

17,773 posts, read 13,665,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Sounds like my kinda place! However, let's be honest: a Dem from that area (or pretty much all of Oklahoma for that matter) is not going to be a Lib in the the likeness of the Coastal Libs....Thank God!
Well when the coastal libs get here and take over I bet their first order of business is to ban the display of the rebel flag.

Old 03-03-2013, 05:55 PM

374 posts, read 806,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swake View Post
I think of Durant as being more South Central Oklahoma, it's must more similar to North Texas than the South.
I think you have a severe case if ignorance regarding Oklahoma. Not only is Doorant not anywhere near Dallas, it's also not anything like Dallas. SE Oklahoma is like SW AK, East Texas and North Louisiana and IS the south. To deny that is ridiculous.

I see the Rebel flag all over SE OK and have seen it many times in OKC. It's part of our state history. Sorry that offends you so, but it's not going to change because of you.

Old 03-03-2013, 06:59 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,249,423 times
Quote:
I think you have a severe case if ignorance regarding Oklahoma. Not only is Doorant not anywhere near Dallas, it's also not anything like Dallas.
The town is spelled Durant not Doorant.

Old 03-03-2013, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post
The town is spelled Durant not Doorant.
He knows how it is spelled; he's from there.

It's pronounced "Doo-rant" for folks from that area. That's all he was saying (er, typing). Being from central Oklahoma, I pronounce it "Duh-rant."

Old 03-03-2013, 07:52 PM

Quote:
I think you have a severe case if ignorance regarding Oklahoma. Not only is Doorant not anywhere near Dallas, it's also not anything like Dallas. SE Oklahoma is like SW AK, East Texas and North Louisiana and IS the south. To deny that is ridiculous.

I see the Rebel flag all over SE OK and have seen it many times in OKC. It's part of our state history. Sorry that offends you so, but it's not going to change because of you.
>>>>>
SE Oklahoma is like SW AK, East Texas and North Louisiana and IS the south.
<<<<<

^^^
No doubt, truth spoken here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma