Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 12:20 PM

4 posts, read 11,542 times

Advertisements

Hello My husband and I are moving to Wilburton in the next few mo.

Would appreciate any info esp. on the pple,cost of living,and local crime.
Any other info you care to share.

Thanks,

Mary
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 12:45 PM

1,789 posts, read 4,342,870 times
Your husband is working at the college? Either that or the oil company. I think the area is pretty but you'll hae to drive to McAlester for any real shopping and I do not consider Mcalester all that hot in the shopping area. I am about 30 minutes myself from McAlester. You'll be at least 45 to an hour. We go to Robbers Cave a lot and like I said it is pretty. Housing will probably be hard and you might end up in McAlester. I imagine the people are very nice, now you'll have a lot of young ones at the college which might have a higher crime rate. I would think the cost of living would be down right low. I feel all of Eastern OK is cheap. I have lived here now 11 years and it is the cheapest State we have lived in.

Old 02-23-2010, 01:07 PM

Thanks Debbie. Actually we are a retired couple due to health. We have heard both pro and con
about the area.We are hopin the pros exceed the cons.

Old 02-23-2010, 01:36 PM

May I ask why you are picking that area. You must know that all medical will be taken care of in McAlester. My parents moved here to retire because we were here but they had a hard time in the town of McAlester so they sold and they live in Bella Vista, AR which is in the same price area and has tons of medical and retirement type stuff going on. We are close to retirement ourselves and will probably stay in the area because we have a ranch and love that but if I didn't have my land I might not be as happy. NOW IF YOU LIKE BOATING you should be happy. Everyone is a fisherman in this area.

Old 02-23-2010, 01:38 PM

I just looked at your stats and I know their is a Luthern Church East of Mcalester that my friend says is great. You would probably make a lot of friends there.

Old 02-23-2010, 02:09 PM

Hi Debbie We have family there. Where we live now in NC the medical is horrible. And yes my husband is a fisherman, one of the things he is looking forward to when we move.The only fishing he has nearby is expensive and very limited.Thanks for info about church but I dont drive so will need a closerr church.Doesn't really matter if Lutheran just hoping to find a friendly church.

Old 02-26-2010, 01:16 PM

355 posts, read 818,593 times
Take it from one of the "criminal" college students that went to school at EOSC....the crime rate in Willy is minimal. Cost of living is very low there, as well as good jobs. More than likely you will wanna commute to McAlester and surround areas for shopping, medical attention. Their hospital is somewhat of a joke.

I'm biased, but I feel their public safety personnel are great. I worked as a police officer there and arrested maybe 15 people in 10 months. Out of those 15, 12 were simple things like no insurance/public intox. Major crime is non-existent. Fire fighters/EMS/Police/Sheriffs are all good people. What sells Willy to me is Robbers Cave. It's gorgeous. The area has a very small town feel to it. The school is big into supporting their students/student athletes. I really enjoyed going to see their football teams play while I was there. Make the move....you'll enjoy it.

Old 02-27-2010, 07:49 AM

I agree with Lawman Kyle that Robber's Cave is the selling point. This lady doesn't drive so she will have to depend on that very small grocery store they have in Wilburton just as you turn to go to robber's cave.

I am curious about the jobs. My husband is a DAC employee (Department Ammunition Center) out by the base is why we were relocated to this area but I don't see a whole lot of decent paying jobs in the area. I do see lots of nice houses going up but curious of who is buying.

I like the hospital so I do not have any complaints about it. I am 30 minutes out WITH TRANSPORTATION so I would worry about this lady without a drivers license getting to the hospital. Although Wilberton does have 911. We do not have it out here near Stuart.

Old 02-27-2010, 09:01 AM

355 posts, read 818,593 times
I will say for a small grocery store, it had anything I needed! Good selection on meats too. As far as jobs in the area, there is the school, franklin electric, the wilburton school district, BP, and the hospital. McAlester has lots of medical buildings as well as the EOSC McAlester Campus, the ammunition depot, and tons of stores. Not sure how great paying some jobs are, but I'm sure a job could be found easy enough...even though the OP doesn't need a job...I was just adding my 2 cents

Old 03-04-2010, 08:04 AM

32 posts, read 60,337 times
Move to Wilburton you'll be glad you did.. Kyle has told you the truth although I disagree about our hospital It is small and not a major trauma unit but the dr's are pretty good and they have vastly improved their facilities.. Crime rate is low take it from me as well I worked as a cop for over 20 years here so I know..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma