U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2010, 07:49 AM

2,565 posts, read 5,591,036 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at attending the University of Oklahoma for the Doctor of Physical Therapy program. At this point it is my top choice, and I think I will really like Oklahoma if I can get situated.

I have to take some prerequisites before I can apply so I am considering moving to Oklahoma and doing them at a Community College there so that when I enter the Doctor of Physical Therapy program at UO I will already have in-state tuition.

The best way I'm going to find work is in afterschool programs. My degree is in preprofessional architecture, but I've worked as a teacher for the last 2 years.

I'm looking for advice on how easy it would be for someone to pack their things and move to Oklahoma, find an affordable place to live, a job, and attend a community college.

At this point I'm thinking Oklahoma City will have the most job opportunities and probably be the most enjoyable for me. But if you have another city in mind I am very open to ideas.

Looking into Oklahoma City Community College they have additional courses that would strengthen my application through Francis Tuttle Tech Center so thats looking pretty strong.

One last thing would be transportation. Obviously a car is ideal but can a small 150-250cc motorcycle suffice or will the weather and wind be impossible? What about a scooter if I do go Oklahoma City?

Please tell me a city to look into, a few reasons, what the name of the community college is there so I can make sure they have the courses I need, and if a car is absolutely necessary or if a more affordable mode of transportation will work.

Thanks,
Ender

Last edited by EndersDrift; 03-06-2010 at 08:41 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2010, 08:52 AM

533 posts, read 1,608,835 times
Quite a number of possibilities around Oklahoma City area:
Moore Norman Technology - Welcome to Moore Norman Technology Center | Moore Norman Technology Center
Oklahoma City Community College - Oklahoma City Community College
Rose State - http://www.rose.edu
Francis Tuttle - Francis Tuttle Technology Center

Several private colleges:
Oklahoma City University - Oklahoma Christian University - Oklahoma City, OK - Welcome to | MACU - Hillsdale Free Will Baptist College - Home - others

Don't rule out state schools either:
www.osuokc.edu - Welcome to Chicago State University - The University of Oklahoma - others

Old 03-10-2010, 09:56 AM

3 posts, read 4,747 times
I am currently attending OCCC and really love it. I am living in Norman and it's about a 30 min drive. I dont think a scooter is a great idea. Around town here in Norman I see them during spring-early fall. As far as winter, it would be impossible. Also, the winds here get crazy on any given day, but are not often. I am a bit scared of motorcycles and such so keep that in mind. Drivers here are inconsiderate for the most part as I believe it is in most bigger cities. I have never lived in OKC, but I know there are good places and very bad places to live. Moore in south of OKC and 15 minutes away and Norman is south of Moore and like I said earlier 30 min. Both of those cities have lots to offer, although especially if you are going to end up at OU I would go with Norman. It really is a beautiful town with lots to do! Good luck!

Old 03-10-2010, 10:22 AM

259 posts, read 1,018,326 times
Sounds like Okc will be the best place for you. OCCC is in a location where you'd definitely need a car to get too and from school. A motorcycle would be fine in the summer and even fall but during spring, it gets crazy windy (30mph +) and rains/storms. You wouldn't want to be caught in a downpour on your way to or home from school. Riding one during winter is just out of the question...the windchill can be brutal here and it does snow, some winters just a few inches, some half a foot.
It'd be more reasonable to save up and buy an inexpensive used car.

As far as your location goes, South Oklahoma City (south of I-240) and Moore would be the best location. You'd be within 10-15 mins from Norman and 10mins or so away from OCCC. There are nice apartments along I-35 in Moore and some mingled inbetween I-35 and I-44, where OCCC is located. (Again search for apts SOUTH of I-240- anything along 240 and north is shady/run down IMO). If you need apt recommendations let me know.

Old 04-01-2010, 05:59 PM

108 posts, read 183,916 times
Oklahoma is good for a lot of things, but a decent public transit system even in the cities (OKC and Tulsa) are not that good at all, so a car is a must.

I would look at smaller town community colleges; you don't have to be in OKC to experience some of what Oklahoma has to offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma