Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 09:16 AM

53 posts, read 154,385 times

Advertisements

Lived in Cushing as a kid in the 70's, graduated from HS there before going to that big Red college south of OKC. I miss it. My uncle owned the hardware store, Billings Hardware, there for over 30 years, he is long since past. It was a good town back then. It had no more problems than anyother small town in rural America. I would be sad to know it has gone down hill. I would think with all the attention it is getting over the pipeline that the city would be growing and improving. I would like to visit again someday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 12:08 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halothane View Post
Lived in Cushing as a kid in the 70's, graduated from HS there before going to that big Red college south of OKC. I miss it. My uncle owned the hardware store, Billings Hardware, there for over 30 years, he is long since past. It was a good town back then. It had no more problems than anyother small town in rural America. I would be sad to know it has gone down hill. I would think with all the attention it is getting over the pipeline that the city would be growing and improving. I would like to visit again someday.
Cushing needs to do something to show better support for it's downtown. The crumbling downtown doesn't go well with its attractive high school campus.

Old 06-27-2012, 01:48 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
Two things will always succeed in the shadow of a big box store:
1) Service: Try getting one of those clerks at Wal-mart to tell you how to fix that chain saw they sell.

2) Selection: Go to Wal-mart and try to get some orthopedic shoes sometime.

And Wal-mart is not always the lowest priced. I was hungry for some butternut squash a couple of weeks ago. Wal-mart was $1.19 a pound.......stopped off at Reasors and got better looking stuff for $.69 a pound. I never buy meat at Wal-mart.......I don't want to pay $9.97 a pound for 20% water/solution........(ask the meat manager what is in the solution sometime.....he won't know.)
My current gripe with the Walmart in Cushing is large sacks of dog and cat food. Frequently by late afternoon there aren't any. My most recent policy has been to order it online so I avoid the problem but the last time I sent the clerk back to look, waited 15 minutes, and when he was helping another customer ended up asking him again. I guess they only ordered six a day of what I buy...

The other thing is products the Stillwater stores have which they abruptly stop carrying. Since I was in Stillwater today, we stopped there and several things I'd been told that 'walmart doesn't carry anymore' appeared to be carried there. I loaded up on them since I don't get there often.

As far as Cushing goes, hasn't gotten worse, and there seems to be new business.

The new Best Western is getting built, and looks nice. It should increase competition with the other two for customers, though when I checked on prices for relatives, both were booked. Along Main several of the empty business have been bought and someone is building so the economy must be improving.

I'm still way glad I moved here over socal, though the inland empire summer weather can go home...

Old 08-03-2012, 11:03 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times
Here's a fairly recent article by an outsider who badmouthed Cushing. He didn't like the downtown. As I've mentioned before, Cushing needs to look into turning its downtown into a Business Improvement District (BID). Taxes would have to be raised on downtown merchants, but if you look at downtown Stillwater, which is a BID, it worked wonders. That is remarkable, considering there are not one, but two super Wal-Marts in town. Unlike downtown Cushing, there are not many stores vacant in downtown Stillwater.

Thoughts On Obama's Visit To Cushing, OK: The Pipeline Crossroads For The World | ThinkProgress

Old 08-04-2012, 05:37 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,924,063 times
I think that article sums it up pretty well, although there are a few nice areas of Cushing. He should have visited Mr Lu's though....I love Mr Lu's.

Old 08-04-2012, 07:11 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,015,751 times
Post #7, page 1 is disturbing. Small town hicks in celene, ok. UGH !

Old 08-04-2012, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soanchorless View Post
I think that article sums it up pretty well, although there are a few nice areas of Cushing. He should have visited Mr Lu's though....I love Mr Lu's.
Mr.Lu's is wonderful. I've never failed to have a great dinner there. My sil loves their food and hates most other kinds so we go there more often. I also love the Mexican place, since it really tastes Mexican.

Since we've been blessed by the new meat market, with his great non-antibiotics and growth hormone meat, I do a LOT more cooking at home too.

Old 08-05-2012, 12:19 AM

1,201 posts, read 1,924,063 times
I don't think I've heard of the meat market...sounds awesome though. I love the Mexican place too. Apparently everyone in town does too because there is always a long wait when we go.

Old 08-05-2012, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soanchorless View Post
I don't think I've heard of the meat market...sounds awesome though. I love the Mexican place too. Apparently everyone in town does too because there is always a long wait when we go.
The meat market is on n.little just past main. The prices are a little higher than walmart, but the meat is fantastic. Give me half the size but so good and I'm happy. He gets business from further away since he sells meat without all the additives and its hard to find

Old 08-07-2012, 06:01 AM

2,825 posts, read 7,542,392 times
I am definitely going to check out that meat market. Mr Lu's, however ....... not so much. Ever since La Roma left town there really is not a decent place to eat in Cushing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma