U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 06:39 PM

372 posts, read 734,882 times

Advertisements

I was wondering how you would describe the city of Edmond? I am thinking of relocating to Ok and don't really know/remember much about the area. I haven't been thru the state of OK in about 17 years. I remember the areas there being very beautiful and the people being great. I don't really want to be in a big city (eg. OKC.) Looking to be more in the smaller cities and have access to the larger cities. I work in radiology as an xray/CT tech. I am tired of the bitter long cold winters of New England and am looking for a change. Would appreciate any input. Thanks in advance.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2010, 07:14 AM

152 posts, read 345,288 times
You can hardly tell one from another as both Edmond and OKC have grown so much that there is no "in between" so to speak? Edmond traffic is so bad I avoid the place as much as possible. It is still a really clean city though. Some will say the place is full of snobs but that is not true, you will hear this from people who live in the Moore/Norman area mostly.

Old 04-02-2010, 04:24 PM

664 posts, read 1,905,447 times
It is nice, but I wouldn't say that this place (Oklahoma) is beautiful....

I am not sure I would call Edmond a small town, it is growing rapidly and has been for some time. As mentioned you can go from Edmond to OKC and not even know it, except sometimes the road condition changes. Heck you can have an Edmond address, OKC utilities and Edmond Schools or Deer Creek Schools.

Don't get me wrong I like living in Edmond it is a nice place...

I think it would be wise to take a trip to the area and visit the local suburbs of OKC and see which one fits the bill. It is hard to get a good image of a town off a message board as each person sees things a bit differently.

Old 04-02-2010, 05:21 PM

4,033 posts, read 10,031,726 times
Thumbs up great place to live

Edmond is about 75,000 people, I think. It's really just a suburb of OKC, although some of the locals/natives don't like it when people say that . It is the home of The University of Central Oklahoma and Oklahoma Christian University is just on the edge of the city, but it might actually be in OKC. It has lots of very nice neighborhoods as well as a nice little downtown area. It also has some of the best schools in the state.

The Eastern side of Edmond is quite pretty, I think. The neighborhoods tend to be somewhat hilly and wooded, as opposed to the western side, which tends to be a bit more flat, but still full of lots of nice neighborhoods.

As another poster mentioned, people talk about Edmond being full of snobs. I agree with them, I do not find this to be true at all. In fact I think the people here are some of the friendliest I have ever met. We have moved a lot, and we have found the people here to be very kind and welcoming.

I hear people talk about how bad the traffic is here, but really I don't find it to be a big deal at all. We moved here from a much larger city that has real traffic, so for us its not an issue. Now I will say, that if you try to drive across Edmond, from east to west, or vice versa, around 5:00pm there will be some traffic, but its really not a problem. People crack me up talking about how bad the traffic is in OKC in general, during rush hour. There may be a lot of cars on the freeways, but they are still all going 75 mph.

You might also post this under the OKC sub forum, since Edmond really is a suburb.

Old 04-02-2010, 05:53 PM

259 posts, read 1,018,941 times
I'd definitely post this in the Okc forum since Edmond is a suburb.
I'll second the fact that Edmond really isn't a small town and blends into Okc. East Edmond is a little more "rural" out towards Lake Arcadia. I'd also recommend Guthrie. It's a wonderful small town, beautiful hills and trees with a great revitalized downtown. There's plenty of people that commute to Okc from Guthrie. It's just 25 mins north of Edmond.

Old 04-03-2010, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by debzkidz View Post
Edmond is about 75,000 people, I think. It's really just a suburb of OKC,.

As another poster mentioned, people talk about Edmond being full of snobs. I agree with them, I do not find this to be true at all. In fact I think the people here are some of the friendliest I have ever met. We have moved a lot, and we have found the people here to be very kind and welcoming.

I hear people talk about how bad the traffic is here, but really I don't find it to be a big deal at all. We moved here from a much larger city that has real traffic, so for us its not an issue. Now I will say, that if you try to drive across Edmond, from east to west, or vice versa, around 5:00pm there will be some traffic, but its really not a problem. People crack me up talking about how bad the traffic is in OKC in general, during rush hour. There may be a lot of cars on the freeways, but they are still all going 75 mph.

You might also post this under the OKC sub forum, since Edmond really is a suburb.
First let me start by saying I grew up in upstate NY. Worked and drove in Albany,NY and the surrounding areas. Driving in NY in general can be a hazard in its self, so I don't think the traffic in Edmond wont bother me to much. As for snobby people, I think that you will find them anywhere you go.(try living in New England) You just have to deal with it and find the nice friendly people to hang out with. I am hoping to make a trip out there some time later this summer to get a good look around.
As far as moving this post, I don't know how to do that. Maybe the Mod will do it for me. thanks for the info so far. I will take a look at Guthrie, thank for the idea.

Old 04-03-2010, 11:21 AM

26,860 posts, read 17,741,163 times
You'll surely love Guthrie. It's one of the most different towns in Oklahoma.

Old 04-03-2010, 01:32 PM

Actually Guthrie and Edmond are only ten minutes apart Soon they will be joined toghether

Here is the city's website: City of Guthrie

Old 04-03-2010, 09:09 PM

xraydude! I was just reading this thread again an didn't put 2 plus 2 together about your line of work.

You might want to look at this: Logan Medical Center - Guthrie, OK

There is a new state of the art hospital on the drawing board and many new people, doctors and techs will be hired at some point. Not quite sure of the time frame though?

Old 04-05-2010, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guthrie Kid View Post
xraydude! I was just reading this thread again an didn't put 2 plus 2 together about your line of work.

You might want to look at this: Logan Medical Center - Guthrie, OK

There is a new state of the art hospital on the drawing board and many new people, doctors and techs will be hired at some point. Not quite sure of the time frame though?
Thanks for the tip, I will look into Logan, I can use all the tips I can get when it comes to looking into a new place. Do you know if they have broke ground for the new hospital yet? Or is it just in the planing stage? Can you tell me what the commute time is between Guthrie and OKC? Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma