U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 11:10 PM

4,034 posts, read 10,332,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by future texan View Post
wow! didn't know they could tax groceries! the taxable non food items yes, but actual food? our sales tax in our county is 8.25%, so it right in line with that, but in LA county it is 9.50%...I bet your car insurance would be high with the college boys! our girls are grown and married, so it's just us...hopefully it wouldn't be too high, but you would definitely have to park the car in a garage to protect it from the hail...have heard that in texas, if you file one too many claims with the home insurance, they will cancel you and no one else will pick you up? is this true in OK as well? glad to hear that they have natural gas, as propane is horribly expensive, and I don't care for electric appliances....will have to plan a trip out there to look around and get a good impression and feel for the area...
There has been much talk lately about the state legislature trying to do away with the tax on groceries, but so far it has not happened. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

As far as insurance goes, we've never been cancelled and we have filed claims over the years, altough not too many. I don't know if they can actually cancel you unless you've had lots of claims or driving violations. We've filed our share of claims over the years, but we've never been cancelled. I know that if you have enough claims they will move you into one of their higher rated companies. In Texas they have something called the "pool" where companies pool together and provide extremely expensive auto coverage when no other companies will cover you. I think its something where you cannot be denied coverage. I don't know if they have that here or not.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2010, 03:52 PM

149 posts, read 457,500 times
in CA we have separate state run earthquake coverage that is not part of our homeowners, and my friend's daughter has separate flood and hurricane coverage in AL..is there a separate tornado/hail policy? it sounds like the cost of living is fairly good there! is there a big problem with the formosan termites?, and are there any problems with house foundations like there is in texas, with the black clay soil? how about fire ants? hornets? (those big orange and black things) grasshoppers? how often do your roofs get damaged with hail? how is the weather in july? we are talking about a trip back to look around, and july would be the only time we could make it..thanks!

Old 05-28-2010, 01:45 PM

4,034 posts, read 10,332,376 times
You can buy earthquake and flood insurance separately here as well. Both are inexpensive, unless you happen to live in a flood zone. As for a separate policy for tornado and hail coverage, I've never heard of that. I believe it's all just coveraged by your homeowners coverage.

As for termites, I don't think there's a "big" problem. Yes, there are termites here, but just get a termite inspection before you close on a house, and treat if neccesary. Our home had been previously treated when we bought it, but I don't know how long before we bought it. There was no sign of damage. The company that did our inspection gauranteed the inspection and we pay an annual fee to keep the gaurantee in place. We did have a small swarm last year, so they came out and treated it for us. No big deal. Fire ants are not everywhere in OK like they are in Texas. There are some that have made it to OK mainly in plants and such being transported from infested areas such as Texas. I've been told that it gets too cold here for them. As for the other insects, there are some hornets and grasshoppers, but not a lot, you just see them occasionally.

We have lived in our home for 4 years, and although we have had some hail, mostly small, we've had no damage. I've had it checked out by a local roofing company after every hail storm of any size and our roof shows no damage. They say it's in great shape. I don't know how old our roof is, but I think it had been on our house several years before we bought it. I don't have any more history in OK than that, so I can give you any more specifics. I will say that every year, some place in the OKC area will get hit, and roofs get damaged.

I can't tell you anything about foundation problems. We've never had any and our house is about 20 years old. I'm sure someone else on the board can give you more info on that.

July will be hot, probably the hottest month. So if you can stand it then, you know you'll be fine. I guess it just depends on how hot our summer is. Last year was very cool and quite nice. I don't know what they are expecting from this summer. When we came to OKC to find a house it was in July, and I have to say it was horrible. Over 100 almost everyday we were here. But I think that was the hottest summer we've experienced here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma