U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2010, 10:19 AM

212 posts, read 444,854 times

Advertisements

Well, I've been offered a job in your fine state, and I am coming to visit in a few weeks. The job is in OKC, but I have a few days extra to run around and sight see. Where would you all suggest that I visit to get the best impression of your lovely state. To be fair, my grandfather was from OK, but I've never visited there for long (few brief drives here and there). I'm trying to get a list of sights to show my wife and kids in a few months, to seal the deal. Also, I would greatly appreciate opinions on where to live. I know about Edmond generally, but anything a bit more specific, like particular developments, would be great. Personally, I'd love to live in the sticks but likely my wife would not be pleased. Thanks all in advance.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2010, 10:54 AM

4,033 posts, read 10,258,396 times
Welcome to OKC. I hope you like it here. We've been here almost 4 years and have really enjoyed it.

I will let others give you more info on what to see in OK in general, because I've only been here a few years and there is still much I've not seen. But while in OKC be sure to visit Bricktown and the National Memorial and Museum. While in Bricktown you can take a boat ride up the canal and grab a bite to eat at one of the restaurants on the canal. We have a minor league baseball team, the Red Hawks (part of the Tx Rangers organization) which play at the Bricktown Ballpark, so if they are in town while you're here you can check that out. Of course we have the OKC Thunder NBA team that play in the Ford Center downtown, but since it's not basketball season now, you can't do that, but its definitely a fun thing to do. I've been to many other NBA games in other places, and they just don't compare to a Thunder game, and I'm not even a basketball fan. Well, not until the Thunder anyway.

You can also take a ride on the Oklahoma River boat tour, the Devon Discovery. It travels a few miles up and down the river which runs just south of downtown, and can give you a good view of the area. There's lots of stuff beginning to happen on the river right now. It's become a big rowing center, even an olympic training center. You can also go to the Cheasepeke Boat House and rent a kyak and paddle up and down the river for yourself. It's a lot of fun and most people don't even know about it.

There's the Oklahoma History Museum near the state capital, which is a great place to learn about OK, as well as the National Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum which is a really great place if you like western art, western movies, anything cowboy/western related. Its also just a really pretty place and worth a visit. There's the OKC Museum of Art which has an amazing collection of Dale Chihuly Glass. I've heard it's the largest collection in the world, but I don't know if it's true.

You could also go down to Norman and visit the University of Oklahoma and drive up to Stillwater to visit the Oklahoma State University. It might sound strange that I am suggesting this, but in OK, it's all about these two schools and their sprots rivalry. They are both very nice campuses and it will give you a feel for what it all about. Of course this time of year, you can't get the true feel since school is pretty much out for the summer, but you can get the idea. When we first moved here everyone told us "you have to pick a side". I really like them both, so I never choose sides. Our kids choose to go out of state to school, so we have still not been forced to choose.

As for suggesting neighborhoods, Edmond has lots of great ones. Also, if you stay to the east side of Edmond you can get the "out in the sticks" feel you want, while your wife and kids can still be "in town". If you can give us a size and price range, that might help point you in the right direction.

Old 05-22-2010, 12:33 PM

31,008 posts, read 19,689,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AwayAndBackToSac View Post
Well, I've been offered a job in your fine state, and I am coming to visit in a few weeks. The job is in OKC, but I have a few days extra to run around and sight see. Where would you all suggest that I visit to get the best impression of your lovely state. To be fair, my grandfather was from OK, but I've never visited there for long (few brief drives here and there). I'm trying to get a list of sights to show my wife and kids in a few months, to seal the deal. Also, I would greatly appreciate opinions on where to live. I know about Edmond generally, but anything a bit more specific, like particular developments, would be great. Personally, I'd love to live in the sticks but likely my wife would not be pleased. Thanks all in advance.
Why not live in Oklahoma City itself? Northwestern Oklahoma City has a wide choice of interesting residential neighborhoods.

Old 05-23-2010, 12:30 AM

152 posts, read 352,365 times
The perfect place for you is Guthrie. Anything north of Waterloo road!

Look here: Historic Guthrie, Oklahoma's First Capital

Old 05-24-2010, 01:14 PM

664 posts, read 1,964,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guthrie Kid View Post
The perfect place for you is Guthrie. Anything north of Waterloo road!
Except that is still considered Edmond.

Old 05-24-2010, 09:43 PM

I hear you! So do a bunch of other folks....

Here is my two cents for what it is worth? I know for a fact the Edmond P.D. gets calls everyday from people that live in south Logan county wondering if they will come get a stray dog, what the tax rate is, I need a building permit, help me, HELP...Ad infinitum...

All I can tell you is when you need police protection your call will be transferred to Guthrie, specifically the L.C.S.O.

If you need fire you will be transferred to a fire department in Logan County not Edmond.

If you want to pay your taxes you will mail your check to Guthrie.

If you live in south Logan county you will more than likely go to Guthrie schools, sure, there are exceptions I know.

Most important of all. The Guthrie city limits encompasses a thirty foot wide strip along Waterloo road all the way from way west to east Logan county, sorry, I can't find a map... I know it is out there somwhere?

Everyone wants to be from Edmond HAHAHAHA! I have had conversations with people that for real, live north of Guthrie that......claim they are from Edmond!

Trust me! If you live north of Waterloo road you 100% do not live in Edmond!

Ask Glenda here: Contacts for the Media | City of Edmond, Oklahoma (http://edmondok.com/news/mediacontacts - broken link)

Old 05-25-2010, 03:44 PM

Quote:
I hear you! So do a bunch of other folks....

Here is my two cents for what it is worth? I know for a fact the Edmond P.D. gets calls everyday from people that live in south Logan county wondering if they will come get a stray dog, what the tax rate is, I need a building permit, help me, HELP...Ad infinitum...

All I can tell you is when you need police protection your call will be transferred to Guthrie, specifically the L.C.S.O.

If you need fire you will be transferred to a fire department in Logan County not Edmond.

If you want to pay your taxes you will mail your check to Guthrie.

If you live in south Logan county you will more than likely go to Guthrie schools, sure, there are exceptions I know.
I live north of Waterloo road... believe me I know.. SW Logan county is in the Deer Creek School district.. which is in Oklahoma county.

Quote:
Most important of all. The Guthrie city limits encompasses a thirty foot wide strip along Waterloo road all the way from way west to east Logan county, sorry, I can't find a map... I know it is out there somwhere?

Everyone wants to be from Edmond HAHAHAHA! I have had conversations with people that for real, live north of Guthrie that......claim they are from Edmond!

Trust me! If you live north of Waterloo road you 100% do not live in Edmond!
Would you please tell the post office then.... funny how my address is Edmond though I am north of Charter Oak.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:39 PM

Yep, I know, I instantly became a snob back around '96 or so when the United States Postal Service moved me to Edmond for free!

Old 05-26-2010, 08:05 AM

5,519 posts, read 8,860,366 times
Quote:

Yep, I know, I instantly became a snob back around '96 or so when the United States Postal Service moved me to Edmond for free!
Tis truth. All well-informed Okies know that the Snoots are from Edmond. Just kidding Edmondnites!

Last edited by Bass&Catfish2008; 05-26-2010 at 08:16 AM..

Old 05-26-2010, 10:10 AM

Quote:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma