Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 02:06 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,369,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by f_m View Post
Here is the Census Bureau's data, you can look at the state and then different cities.

Norman (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
Oops, my first link was only for a city, not the state, here is the state link.

Oklahoma QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2010, 12:38 PM

5 posts, read 7,072 times
I have been around enough kind Christians in Oklahoma where I live. I rather stay away from many because on one hand they are talking about love for Christ, and on the other hand they are very racist. And no, I do not hang around rough people; these are the high society Christian ladies of my town. They love Limbaugh and Glen Beck as well.

Old 06-06-2010, 02:02 PM

30 posts, read 116,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f_m View Post
Oops, my first link was only for a city, not the state, here is the state link.

Oklahoma QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
Thanks.

Old 06-06-2010, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willowbark View Post
I have been around enough kind Christians in Oklahoma where I live. I rather stay away from many because on one hand they are talking about love for Christ, and on the other hand they are very racist. And no, I do not hang around rough people; these are the high society Christian ladies of my town. They love Limbaugh and Glen Beck as well.
Thanks. It amazes me how people like to pick and choose only the parts they like. How would I be able to witness to these people? I would like to try.

Old 06-06-2010, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willowbark View Post
You will fit right in if you think the democratic view is perverted, but I want you to know that the Christians here are very racist although they won't admit it. As are the republicans and democrats. whatever. At least in Tulsa you may find some that are not. The reason people don't like Obama is because he is half black. Period.
If the so called Christians are racist then they are NOT Christ-like. They are wasting their time. So there is no such thing as the Bible belt. It should be called the Phony belt.

Old 06-12-2010, 10:37 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,251,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpeter View Post
If the so called Christians are racist then they are NOT Christ-like. They are wasting their time. So there is no such thing as the Bible belt. It should be called the Phony belt.
Most Christians in Oklahoma are very good and decent folks. But there are a few that are just downright hateful. I mean full of hate. They love using the Bible as a weapon. They have to have someone to hate they feed on that. Someone to blame for their short comings.

Someone that comes to mind is state representative Sally Kern. She was recorded speaking to a group and telling them that gays are worst than terrorist that attacked the US on 911. She went on to say that gays were like cancer and had to be "dealt with". And she is a state lawmaker.

And these same people will get on TV, lie and say they have the love of God and Jesus in their hearts just so they can get votes. I can't imagine Jesus saying that to a group of folks.

Old 06-13-2010, 02:14 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,257,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post
Most Christians in Oklahoma are very good and decent folks. But there are a few that are just downright hateful. I mean full of hate. They love using the Bible as a weapon. They have to have someone to hate they feed on that. Someone to blame for their short comings.

Someone that comes to mind is state representative Sally Kern. She was recorded speaking to a group and telling them that gays are worst than terrorist that attacked the US on 911. She went on to say that gays were like cancer and had to be "dealt with". And she is a state lawmaker.

And these same people will get on TV, lie and say they have the love of God and Jesus in their hearts just so they can get votes. I can't imagine Jesus saying that to a group of folks.
Speaking as someone who isn't Christian, this describes a lot of places, including Califonia. I know many people who are Christian, and are beautiful people, who do not push their religion or act hatefully. These are people in both states. But they don't get the press because there is nothing too newsworthy about that.

Then there are the people who don't get the loving your fellow man part. They are also everywhere. In California, some of the most agressive our way or the highway crowd are very vocal. And make the news. Here the same sort exist and get to be lawmakers. Only difference is there are fewer people who have another agenda to drown them out here.

Not only has politics become about the fringes, but at least the perception of religion is going that way too.

Old 06-13-2010, 10:32 AM

Thanks for all your replies people.

What do you know about Wanette and Chickasha?

Old 06-29-2010, 11:33 AM

2,673 posts, read 3,248,069 times
I'm 1/2 Muscogee and am a brown, attractive woman. I read a lot of racist comments on local newspaper comments, and know that there is a quite backward attitude here on race issues. However, I'm almost always treated nicely, even in small towns. I think a lot of it has to do with your manner of dress, and attitude. If you're African American you'll have a much harder time. Sorry, but that's true. If you have a Spanish accent then be very careful. If you're just brown like me and without a Spanish accent you will be fine. Southern OK and Western Ok are much worse than NE Oklahoma for racist attitudes.

Stillwater would be your best bet and you should be treated okay. It's a mixed bag in Oklahoma. Yes, there are lots of bigots and many of them have their arse parked on a church pew, but they mostly keep their mouths shut in public.

Oh and Chickasaw is close to Norman and OKC so it's probably fine. The larger and more diverse the town the better off you'll be.

Last edited by Ecovlke; 06-29-2010 at 12:08 PM..

Old 06-30-2010, 11:08 AM

35 posts, read 74,470 times
It doesn't matter much where you go, people are people. You'll find good and bad everywhere.
Many Catholic churches here were burned back in the day by the klan. That had nothing to do with race, but religion. Haters gonna find something to hate about anything.
I've lived in many places and I don't the find the prevalence of racism here any worse than anywhere else. Some people are just fools and there's not much one can do about it but live a good example.

EG
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma