Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 07:23 AM

704 posts, read 1,871,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocheNY View Post
You corn-pickers brought this up.

You don't have anything that we don't. The one good think Cornstalk, Siberia has over 'chester is the charitable cost of living. Wouldn't be that way if anybody made any money over there.
Clearly you know nothing about Omaha. Omaha Is home to five fortune 500 companies and Omaha has a much higher median income that Rochester NY. I don't know if you checked it out but all those economic woes that are in the news are affecting places like Rochester, not places like Omaha. The Great Plains has been relativley unscathed by the recent problems. looks at the numbers. Folks from Omaha make more money than folks from Rochester.

Rochester NY
Estimated median household income in 2008: $29,975 (it was $27,123 in 2000)

Omaha NE
Estimated median household income in 2008: $44,358 (it was $40,006 in 2000)

I know; that's a real big difference right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2010, 07:26 AM

152 posts, read 364,869 times
CNN Money has Omaha ranked 22 compared to 80 for Rochester.

Rochester
100 best places to live and launch - 80. Rochester, N.Y. (80) - FORTUNE Small Business

Omaha
100 best places to live and launch - 22. Omaha, Neb. (22) - FORTUNE Small Business

Old 07-27-2010, 08:45 AM

1,073 posts, read 2,686,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happygolucky View Post
Compare Omaha to Western NY.

Where should I begin?

Well, if you are into boating, fishing ,hunting and camping...western NY is the place to be.

If your a foodie........Omaha does not really have anything to compare to WNY, just a few steak places and a funny sandwich called a Runza which everyone from here that has never lived anyplace else, thinks it's the best thing since milk.

If your a Democrat ......again..... gotta say WNY.

If your Republicain........Nebraska.

If you like humidty and hot weather and more humidity.......Nebraska.

Nothing beats a cool 80 degree August day in WNY.

Nebraska/Omaha has high auto taxes, but there are no toll roads so it is a trade off .

WNY has Pro Football and Hockey.

Nebraska only has the Cornhuskers and only the Cornhuskers.

Nebraska has one apple tree, so the fall apple harvest is nothing like the WNY cider mills.

No beaches to go to in Nebraska just over prices campgrounds along muddy rivers.

In WNY you got Lake Erie, the finger lakes, and Lake Ontario.

No amusement parks to speak of in Omaha/ Nebraska .

In WNY you have Fantisy Island, Darian Lake and Niagra Falls.

Omaha does have 3 streets that are old and the locals here have turned into a tourist attraction, all it has to offer is shoppes and hippies.

WNY .....forget about it OOOOO.

PM me I would like to discuss WNY with you.

Genesee Street and Transit RD is where I like to eat Italian food.....Name that fancy,fancy joint on the corner...................
Thanks for the info Happy... It sounds like you are pretty familiar with both - if not a little biased in your opinion . I will PM you because I do have some specific questions about WNY that you might be able to answer. Thanks!!!

Old 07-27-2010, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrich98 View Post
Clearly you know nothing about Omaha. Omaha Is home to five fortune 500 companies and Omaha has a much higher median income that Rochester NY. I don't know if you checked it out but all those economic woes that are in the news are affecting places like Rochester, not places like Omaha. The Great Plains has been relativley unscathed by the recent problems. looks at the numbers. Folks from Omaha make more money than folks from Rochester.

Rochester NY
Estimated median household income in 2008: $29,975 (it was $27,123 in 2000)

Omaha NE
Estimated median household income in 2008: $44,358 (it was $40,006 in 2000)

I know; that's a real big difference right?
It's true that Omaha seems far more economically stable compared to Rochester. It's one of the biggest draws for us. Plus it's just a nice city with nice people - and very safe.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omahahonors View Post
Yep, I give up. Rochester and WNY is better than Omaha in every way. Let's all move.
Don't give up Omahahonors! I know you're not a troll, and the experience of weather is quite subjective. Some people love cold, others love hot. Some get depressed without sunshine, others could care less. You're sticking up for your city, which is a great city in my opinion .

Old 07-27-2010, 01:54 PM

152 posts, read 364,869 times
Here is something to think about Marmom. My family moved to Omaha from Western NY in the 70's. Most of my cousins moved to different cities to find jobs and are scattered around the country now. All of my siblings live in the Omaha area. My aunts and uncles never get/got to see their grandkids except for once or twice a year.

Old 07-27-2010, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tones View Post
Here is something to think about Marmom. My family moved to Omaha from Western NY in the 70's. Most of my cousins moved to different cities to find jobs and are scattered around the country now. All of my siblings live in the Omaha area. My aunts and uncles never get/got to see their grandkids except for once or twice a year.
Funny you mention this because I have been thinking about this a lot Tones. Even though our kids are very young (3 and 1), I have thought "if we move here or there, how likely are they to want to move far away when they are adults?" Hopefully I am interpreting what you said correctly! It's the same for my parents-in-law. As soon as my husband turned 18 he left Rochester and never even considered returning until now. When I lived in Omaha it did seem like most people were content there and wanted to stay even if they had grown up there.

Overall I still lean toward Omaha over Rochester. Both cities in my opinion offer a lot and also have a few drawbacks. Based solely on our personal preferences, priorities, values, etc, it does seem that Omaha is probably a better match. However all of the conversation on this forum has been extremely helpful and thought/discussion provoking on our end.

Old 07-29-2010, 03:49 PM

726 posts, read 2,147,603 times
to the OP: the post by the happygolucky is referencing Buffalo and the surrounding area, not that it's all that far (about an hour). Even the restaurant mentioned at the end (Salvatore's) is about 2min from the Buff airport.

Old 07-29-2010, 05:00 PM

26,406 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choosing78 View Post
to the OP: the post by the happygolucky is referencing Buffalo and the surrounding area, not that it's all that far (about an hour). Even the restaurant mentioned at the end (Salvatore's) is about 2min from the Buff airport.
I was not impressed with Chattaqua County south of Buffalo. Dunkirk is still a mess and you can smell that massive coal plant on Lake Erie from miles away.

Old 07-29-2010, 05:06 PM

737 posts, read 1,916,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choosing78 View Post

Ding Ding Ding.............we have a winner!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha