Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 08:12 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,616,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezfreak View Post
Well, even some hard-core protesters even think birth control is abortion.

Technically, the pill has an abortificant nature to it--meaning that it will cause a miscarry/abortion of a fertilized egg at times. Those of us that consider life to begin at conception have no choice but to consider that to be an abortion of sorts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2010, 08:52 AM

2,763 posts, read 5,757,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pheaton View Post
These days (at least in advanced countries) artificial contraceptives are actually kind of socially regressive. With a little bit of education, a lot less money, no adverse side effects, and equal effectiveness, you can use knowledge to achieve or delay a pregnancy. Natural methods have come a loooong way.
Yes actually I'm surprised schools dont teach this method AT ALL. Natural family planning is an AMAZING tool, yet I would take a guess that over 50, hell even 75% of people have no idea what it is, or how to do it. This is how I am currently 4 months pregnant when doctors told us we would probably have less than a 10% chance of getting pregnant due to fertility disorders. If a woman can consistently check her temperature, and other womanly signs (I will not get into them here due to grotesqueness for a forum), she can pretty well know when she is going to ovulate. Throw in the added help of OPK (Ovulation Prediction Kit) sticks and you can know within a 24-48 time frame of when you will ovulate.

Granted, with this method you need to do it adamantly for a few months to learn when your body ovulates in the month, but once you have it down, you can KNOW when you need to abstain or use protection for the week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Technically, the pill has an abortificant nature to it--meaning that it will cause a miscarry/abortion of a fertilized egg at times. Those of us that consider life to begin at conception have no choice but to consider that to be an abortion of sorts.
That is not true. The pill forces a woman's body (once it is in the body a month or two reliably) to stop ovulating. If the woman is not releasing an egg, there is not an egg to fertilize, thusly no conception.

Old 07-29-2010, 09:00 AM

Quote:
That is not true. The pill forces a woman's body (once it is in the body a month or two reliably) to stop ovulating. If the woman is not releasing an egg, there is not an egg to fertilize, thusly no conception.
Google it. Seriously...look it up. You're wrong. It works the majority of the time by stopping ovulating, but it is not 100% effective at that, and will prevent a fertilized egg from implanting. Believe me...I've done the research.

Old 07-29-2010, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Google it. Seriously...look it up. You're wrong. It works the majority of the time by stopping ovulating, but it is not 100% effective at that, and will prevent a fertilized egg from implanting. Believe me...I've done the research.
I had taken it for years. I know. Thanks though. Once its in your system it WILL stop you from ovulating.

Old 07-29-2010, 09:17 AM

3,098 posts, read 7,545,403 times
GraniteStater, you mean that omaha isnt as liberal and socalist as san francisco.

Old 07-29-2010, 10:23 AM

Quote:
I had taken it for years. I know. Thanks though. Once its in your system it WILL stop you from ovulating.

Whatever allows you to sleep at night. Honestly though...there have been plenty of studies that show otherwise.

Old 07-29-2010, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Whatever allows you to sleep at night. Honestly though...there have been plenty of studies that show otherwise.
Dont worry, I'm not losing sleep over it. I'm pregnant and I dont have a need for it anymore.

back ON topic, I wish that they would teach NFP/FAM at school or at Planned Parenthood. That combined with condoms and I bet used correctly you could have a 100% birth control option there.

Old 07-29-2010, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Dont worry, I'm not losing sleep over it. I'm pregnant and I dont have a need for it anymore.

back ON topic, I wish that they would teach NFP/FAM at school or at Planned Parenthood. That combined with condoms and I bet used correctly you could have a 100% birth control option there.

I can agree with you to a point that NFP would help reduce it. I'm not sure that we should teach kids that WHEN they do it, use this method though. I think that places the expectations on them that they will.

On the other hand, though, when discussed with high schoolers that are old enough to make tough decisions, we need to treat them as adults. I actually had a high school biology teacher tell us that the only foolproof method was abstinence. This was in a public high school...nobody thought she was trying to be religious or nutty...she still covered other options...but made a point to say that if you don't do the deed there won't be the consequences.

Old 07-29-2010, 11:01 AM

704 posts, read 1,872,055 times
Quote:

Well that's just great. One more reason we are going to hell. I might just have to stop giving a hoot what God thinks about me and my chemically planned family.

Old 07-29-2010, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrich98 View Post
Well that's just great. One more reason we are going to hell. I might just have to stop giving a hoot what God thinks about me and my chemically planned family.
I'm just correcting a misunderstanding about the pill. I'm sorry if that offends you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of: