Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 08:34 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,055,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpoulsen View Post
Bosco,

Did you watch the season last year?
Of course I did.

Quote:
Watson did exactly what he should have done. He crafted together something that would give us a chance to win.
You don't do that by changing systems.

Quote:
Who freaking cares what Josh McDaniels says. He's in the NFL where almost every system is merely a shade different than the next.
There are actually about four offensive systems in the NFL. West Coast, Spread, Earhart-Perkins and Air Coryell. Josh McDaniels runs a spread offense which borrows heavily from Urban Meyer's spread option, which Watson tried to copy last year. Watson should have looked to what Josh McDaniels did in 2008 with Cassel instead of scrapping the whole system.

Quote:
In college you play to your talent set...in the pros you draft and sign players that run your system.
You play to your talent in the NFL as well. In college, you just don't get the ability to have such specialized roles for players.

Quote:
Watson should be commended for having the flexibility and creativity that he does and thus salvaging the season the way he did. You read too much message board chatter. If he just lines them up and refuses to adjust all that would have happened is a 3 and out with about 20 seconds off the clock. Pelini and Watson (as stated by Pelini himself) sat down looked at what gave them the best chance to win and they decided that was to lean on the defense and play ball control. But because you read it on a message board somewhere that Watson is BAD BAD BAD you completely ignore what Pelini has repeatedly stated in public.
I didn't see any salvaging of the season by Watson. Hell we played some of our worst offensive football down the stretch.

Quote:
And as stated above by the other poster, the CU-Tom Osborne story is pretty standard lore.
Yep, you were right on that one.

Quote:
How did he overcome that? He adjusted by bringing in more speed on the defensive side of the ball.
He brought in more speed everywhere, but the systems never changed much.

Quote:
Good coaches adjust. They don't just run "their system" hell or high water. That's what coaches like Callahan, Weiss, and others do.
I can tell you with absolute certainty that Charlie Weis' trouble had nothing to do with his system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2010, 08:49 PM

1,181 posts, read 4,009,835 times
We'll never agree here, so we'll just have to see how the season turns out.

Old 08-15-2010, 11:55 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,055,874 times
Look at it this way, there WILL be a positive outcome. If he's actually decent, we'll have a good offense and we'll be happy. If he sucks, he'll get replaced by someone better.

Old 08-16-2010, 10:00 AM

1,048 posts, read 2,469,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Look at it this way, there WILL be a positive outcome. If he's actually decent, we'll have a good offense and we'll be happy. If he sucks, he'll get replaced by someone better.
Yeah, this is true. Pelini will only tolerate so much. Another mediocre year from the offense like they had last year will likely result in a new OC. There is too much pressure for performance from the public. If the results aren't there, people will all but demand someone new.

We need consistancy on offense, not just random times when we are great and hope those times come when we need it. Like that comeback in Missouri in the rain. Where did that come from? Randomly performing needs to stop.

Old 08-16-2010, 10:17 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,614,378 times
Quote:
Zac Lee was flat out bad last year. The only good games he had were against Sun Belt opponents.
You do realize, don't you, that Zac was hurt for most of last season? He had surgery within a week of the bowl game. With the injury to Helu and O-Line issues, it's understandable that the offense was bad.

With everyone healthy this year, and Zac's 2nd year as a starter, and a lot more quality depth at RB, I see no reason the offense won't be a lot better--if it isn't we need to question why Watson hasn't gotten it done. Until then I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Old 08-18-2010, 12:19 PM

76 posts, read 142,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
You do realize, don't you, that Zac was hurt for most of last season? He had surgery within a week of the bowl game. With the injury to Helu and O-Line issues, it's understandable that the offense was bad.

With everyone healthy this year, and Zac's 2nd year as a starter, and a lot more quality depth at RB, I see no reason the offense won't be a lot better--if it isn't we need to question why Watson hasn't gotten it done. Until then I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.
^^^ This. Zac and Helu were both hurting bad. Zac was really having a hard time throwing which is why he seemed to have problems with simple throws. Unfortunately, none of the backups behind him were ready for the starting position. Spano was supposed to be that guy but got hurt prior to the season. The O-Line was in rough shape too. Not saying that Watson didn't make some questionable play calls here and there, but the level of blame being placed on him for the subpar offensive performance is way off base.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David
I don't know what fans you were talking to, but I found a rather limited amount of them that were happy Watson was staying. This was especially true on the various football and Husker forums where fans are generally of the more educated type.
I'd be interested to know what forum contains these "more educated" fans. And if you say RSS then your opinion is immediately null and void.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David
That's actually not true. Pelini kept Watson simply because he wanted some offensive continuity, which isn't unheard of. Saban, as much as I respect him as a coach, has made his share of personnel blunders as well.
Uh, no, that's actually completely incorrect. If you believe Pelini would keep someone around who he believes is failing at his job then you don't know Pelini.

Old 08-18-2010, 01:55 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,193,711 times
1 Last Year)Offensive Line - Almost the entire offensive line was injured. Some weeks they only practiced with three because of injuries and lack of depth.
1 This Year)Offensive Line - We suffered one major injury to a backup guard in Mike Smith. No other injuries (except heat exhaustion) has been reported. Two redshirted freshman are vying for playing time this (Qvale and Sirles) with Jarmarkus Hardrick an instant beast on the line (it was Hardrick that had a two-day heat exhaustion, but is now practicing).

2 Last Year)Quarterbacks - Patrick Witt was in a two-horse race with Lee prior to the season, but transferred to Yale because he wasn't guarenteed a spot. Cody Green and Taylor Martinez were true freshman and Kody Spano re-injured himself. So all we had was Lee who injured his throwing arm in game #2 and a true freshman Cody Green. Martinez redshirted as he would have hurt the team far more than help.

2 This Year)Quarterbacks - Zac Lee is healthy, Cody Green has been reportedly doing very well in practice and Taylor Martinez is a decent thrower, but Eric Crouch running speed and agility. Much different this year.

3 Last Year)Running backs - Started off the year: 1)Roy Helu 2)Quentin Castille 3)Rex Burkhead and 4)Tre' Robinson. #2 was kicked off the team, #1 had a nagging should injury that took out all of his fire for the year, #3 broke his foot and was off for two months of the season.

3 This Year)Running backs - Starting off the year: 1)Helu 2)Burkhead 3)Tre' Robinson (Braylon Heard will enroll in December to be a true freshman for 2011 instead of 2010). So far no injuries, and Burkhead is reportedly in better shape as he is a bit bigger and faster this year, but it is Tre' who is turning heads as a short yardage back. This is a stacked position.

4 Last Year)Wide Receivers - In the beggining of the year, this group was downright terrible (as 2008 saw three of the most productive receivers in school history graduate (Marlon Lucky, Nate Swift and Peterson). As the year went along, Niles Paul and Brandon kinnie stepped up. Mike McNeil was consistent but under utilized. No injuries last year.

4 This Year)Wide Receivers - Niles Paul, Brandon Kinnie and Mike McNeil are going to be a very sick group of receivers. I'm not confident in Gillilylen, but I am hearing a lot about Quincy Enunwa as a true freshman. This kid may sit out this year (redshirt), or he may be that impact guy from the start that many are saying he is capable of.

If we can stay away from the injury bug this year (unlike the horrendous year last year), we are going to do very big things. There have been two major injuries this year: Mike Smith, a second-string guard; Sean Fischer, a backup LB from last year that had a slight impact but was projecting well into a rotation for LB (we are absolutely loaded this year at Linebacker with La Vonte David, Eric Martin, Alonzo Whaley, Will Compton off the top of my head).

Last edited by Omahahonors; 08-18-2010 at 02:05 PM..

Old 08-18-2010, 02:26 PM

6,484 posts, read 6,614,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omahahonors View Post
1 Last Year)Offensive Line - Almost the entire offensive line was injured. Some weeks they only practiced with three because of injuries and lack of depth.
1 This Year)Offensive Line - We suffered one major injury to a backup guard in Mike Smith. No other injuries (except heat exhaustion) has been reported. Two redshirted freshman are vying for playing time this (Qvale and Sirles) with Jarmarkus Hardrick an instant beast on the line (it was Hardrick that had a two-day heat exhaustion, but is now practicing).

2 Last Year)Quarterbacks - Patrick Witt was in a two-horse race with Lee prior to the season, but transferred to Yale because he wasn't guarenteed a spot. Cody Green and Taylor Martinez were true freshman and Kody Spano re-injured himself. So all we had was Lee who injured his throwing arm in game #2 and a true freshman Cody Green. Martinez redshirted as he would have hurt the team far more than help.

2 This Year)Quarterbacks - Zac Lee is healthy, Cody Green has been reportedly doing very well in practice and Taylor Martinez is a decent thrower, but Eric Crouch running speed and agility. Much different this year.

3 Last Year)Running backs - Started off the year: 1)Roy Helu 2)Quentin Castille 3)Rex Burkhead and 4)Tre' Robinson. #2 was kicked off the team, #1 had a nagging should injury that took out all of his fire for the year, #3 broke his foot and was off for two months of the season.

3 This Year)Running backs - Starting off the year: 1)Helu 2)Burkhead 3)Tre' Robinson (Braylon Heard will enroll in December to be a true freshman for 2011 instead of 2010). So far no injuries, and Burkhead is reportedly in better shape as he is a bit bigger and faster this year, but it is Tre' who is turning heads as a short yardage back. This is a stacked position.

4 Last Year)Wide Receivers - In the beggining of the year, this group was downright terrible (as 2008 saw three of the most productive receivers in school history graduate (Marlon Lucky, Nate Swift and Peterson). As the year went along, Niles Paul and Brandon kinnie stepped up. Mike McNeil was consistent but under utilized. No injuries last year.

4 This Year)Wide Receivers - Niles Paul, Brandon Kinnie and Mike McNeil are going to be a very sick group of receivers. I'm not confident in Gillilylen, but I am hearing a lot about Quincy Enunwa as a true freshman. This kid may sit out this year (redshirt), or he may be that impact guy from the start that many are saying he is capable of.

If we can stay away from the injury bug this year (unlike the horrendous year last year), we are going to do very big things. There have been two major injuries this year: Mike Smith, a second-string guard; Sean Fischer, a backup LB from last year that had a slight impact but was projecting well into a rotation for LB (we are absolutely loaded this year at Linebacker with La Vonte David, Eric Martin, Alonzo Whaley, Will Compton off the top of my head).

Decent analysis.

Honestly...even though Suh is gone, I have a lot of faith in Pelini to get the job done. The rest of the defense is a year older and better.

Old 08-18-2010, 10:34 PM

1,181 posts, read 4,009,835 times
Calvinist,

Yes, I do realize he was hurt. But that doesn't change the fact that he was bad. If his injury was the cause for his under performance then fine we should be in good shape then. That doesn't change the fact that Watson was dealing with a QB who simply could not perform.

Old 08-19-2010, 08:38 AM

76 posts, read 142,337 times
Quote:
Calvinist,

Yes, I do realize he was hurt. But that doesn't change the fact that he was bad. If his injury was the cause for his under performance then fine we should be in good shape then. That doesn't change the fact that Watson was dealing with a QB who simply could not perform.
That's kinda like saying "Yes, I do realize the plane lost a wing, but that doesn't change the fact that it couldn't fly."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha