Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2010, 06:41 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,685,428 times

Advertisements

Just wondering whether anyone has worked for Boys Town and can share what it's like. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 01:50 PM

6,484 posts, read 6,614,378 times
It's been a few years, but yes. What are you needing to know? What area would you be working in? It's a big place.

Old 08-23-2010, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
It's been a few years, but yes. What are you needing to know? What area would you be working in? It's a big place.
Well, my husband is a child/adolescent psychiatrist and I am an occupational therapist, so we are both interested in Boys Town as a potential employer if they even have those positions. The times I've searched their web site neither of those has come up.

We want to know what it's like in terms of the atmosphere. Is it a pleasant place to work? Are the benefits and compensation competitive? Is there a high rate of turnover or do employees tend to stick around? As far as the kids, how long are they typically there? Are the kids really valued and treated ethically and compassionately?

Any answers at all would be helpful. Out of all the potential employers we've researched in Omaha, Boys Town sort of seems the most mysterious. We have not yet contacted them by phone, but other places (e.g. UNMC, Creighton, Immanuel, Children's Hospital), seem to give more of a feeling of transparency on their web sites.

Old 08-24-2010, 09:32 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,614,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmom View Post
Well, my husband is a child/adolescent psychiatrist and I am an occupational therapist, so we are both interested in Boys Town as a potential employer if they even have those positions. The times I've searched their web site neither of those has come up.

We want to know what it's like in terms of the atmosphere. Is it a pleasant place to work? Are the benefits and compensation competitive? Is there a high rate of turnover or do employees tend to stick around? As far as the kids, how long are they typically there? Are the kids really valued and treated ethically and compassionately?

Any answers at all would be helpful. Out of all the potential employers we've researched in Omaha, Boys Town sort of seems the most mysterious. We have not yet contacted them by phone, but other places (e.g. UNMC, Creighton, Immanuel, Children's Hospital), seem to give more of a feeling of transparency on their web sites.
The previous guy in charge, Father Val Peter, was all about the youth. He made no bones about the fact that he had their absolute best interest in mind. I honestly don't know anything about the current guy.

I grew up there. My dad was an employee, and we lived on campus. He wasn't in a professional type job that required a degree like you and your husband, but I think he was paid a decent wage for the type of job he did. I don't know enough about the areas you'd work in, but as for treatment of the youth, they really placed a high emphasis on it. My dad had to work with a lot of them and I got to know some, too.

At the time we were there, most of the youth came from disadvantaged homes where they had a single parent, and for whatever reason they just couldn't provide for them. I recall a couple brothers I knew as a kid that had a deadbeat dad and single mother that couldn't care for the 6 kids, so 2 came to BT. Typically, a lot of them come in and stayed several years. There are also girls there, and from what I recall, a high # of them had sexual abuse in their background. I believe that is somewhat true for some of the boys, as well.

All in all, Boys Town was a great place to grow up at as a kid of an employee.

Everything I've heard from others that have worked there is that it's really a pretty decent place.

Old 08-24-2010, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
The previous guy in charge, Father Val Peter, was all about the youth. He made no bones about the fact that he had their absolute best interest in mind. I honestly don't know anything about the current guy.

I grew up there. My dad was an employee, and we lived on campus. He wasn't in a professional type job that required a degree like you and your husband, but I think he was paid a decent wage for the type of job he did. I don't know enough about the areas you'd work in, but as for treatment of the youth, they really placed a high emphasis on it. My dad had to work with a lot of them and I got to know some, too.

At the time we were there, most of the youth came from disadvantaged homes where they had a single parent, and for whatever reason they just couldn't provide for them. I recall a couple brothers I knew as a kid that had a deadbeat dad and single mother that couldn't care for the 6 kids, so 2 came to BT. Typically, a lot of them come in and stayed several years. There are also girls there, and from what I recall, a high # of them had sexual abuse in their background. I believe that is somewhat true for some of the boys, as well.

All in all, Boys Town was a great place to grow up at as a kid of an employee.

Everything I've heard from others that have worked there is that it's really a pretty decent place.
Wow, what an interesting childhood you had! Thanks for sharing. Glad to hear that the focus is (or at least was) on the best interest of the kids. We'll for sure keep it on the list! The population you describe sounds very similar to what my husband works with. Most of the kids he sees have complex family issues and a lot of trauma. The hardest part is that he has to often send them right back into the lion's den so to speak. Thanks again .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of: