U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-12-2012, 06:24 PM
 
Location: Here
704 posts, read 1,698,861 times
Reputation: 332

Advertisements

Yeah I get it... you don't want to be slave to the Automobile. Waiting for the bus, and only being able to go to places within walking distance of bus stops is totally freeing!!

Urban life is wonderful and automobile free living can be rewarding in an urban environment. Unfortunately, only about a fifth of Omaha reaches the kind of density required to not require a car. Nothing wrong if that's where you choose to stay... also nothing wrong if you choose a suburban lifestyle. Our culture and government has so heavily weighed the tables in favor of suburban living that for most people it just doesn't make sense to live any other way.

I would like to apologize to the folks on this thread for my troll behavior the other day. Of course you guys are free to discuss into oblivian whatever topic you like. The reason I felt compelled to post at all is i was struck by the sheer number of posts on this thread. I was like, "Jesus Christ, these people are really into this stuff...!" So; Carry on... maybe someday when gas is $6 a gallon and we've all foreclosed on our big suburban houses I'll see you on the bus! ... But I'll be late for work since no route can get me there by 6am.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-12-2012, 09:00 PM
 
817 posts, read 1,546,230 times
Reputation: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrich98 View Post
Yeah I get it... you don't want to be slave to the Automobile. Waiting for the bus, and only being able to go to places within walking distance of bus stops is totally freeing!!

Urban life is wonderful and automobile free living can be rewarding in an urban environment. Unfortunately, only about a fifth of Omaha reaches the kind of density required to not require a car. Nothing wrong if that's where you choose to stay... also nothing wrong if you choose a suburban lifestyle. Our culture and government has so heavily weighed the tables in favor of suburban living that for most people it just doesn't make sense to live any other way.

I would like to apologize to the folks on this thread for my troll behavior the other day. Of course you guys are free to discuss into oblivian whatever topic you like. The reason I felt compelled to post at all is i was struck by the sheer number of posts on this thread. I was like, "Jesus Christ, these people are really into this stuff...!" So; Carry on... maybe someday when gas is $6 a gallon and we've all foreclosed on our big suburban houses I'll see you on the bus! ... But I'll be late for work since no route can get me there by 6am.
Actually I rarely ride a bus, perhaps 3 times a year. The rest of the time I walk or ride a bicycle, both of which are normally faster than riding a bus or sometimes even taking a car would be. I go all over the city as well, some days covering 40 miles.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2012, 10:20 PM
 
Location: Here
704 posts, read 1,698,861 times
Reputation: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by harshbarj View Post
Actually I rarely ride a bus, perhaps 3 times a year. The rest of the time I walk or ride a bicycle, both of which are normally faster than riding a bus or sometimes even taking a car would be. I go all over the city as well, some days covering 40 miles.
you rock... I don't like exercise enough for that.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2012, 12:45 PM
 
Location: Omaha Nebraska and dreamland when I am sleeping
3,096 posts, read 6,814,786 times
Reputation: 527
Quote:
Originally Posted by harshbarj View Post
Actually I rarely ride a bus, perhaps 3 times a year. The rest of the time I walk or ride a bicycle, both of which are normally faster than riding a bus or sometimes even taking a car would be. I go all over the city as well, some days covering 40 miles.

cant blame u for not riding the bus much. Omaha needs to improve it's bus system
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2012, 05:51 PM
 
Location: Omaha Nebraska and dreamland when I am sleeping
3,096 posts, read 6,814,786 times
Reputation: 527
Improved public transit urged to help speed economic recovery - Omaha.com

Improved public transit urged to help speed economic recovery

By Maggie O'Brien
WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER

***

More than three-fourths of Omaha-area jobs can be reached with public transit, a share that mirrors urban averages nationally, according to a Brookings Institution report.

But, echoing a national trend that costs the local bus system potential riders, less than a third of the metro area's workers can get to those jobs by bus in 90 minutes or less.

The report released today by Brookings' Metropolitan Policy Program surveyed the country's 100 largest metro areas. Its wider findings nearly mirrored the situation in Omaha, except slightly fewer Omaha-area workers had to ride longer than 90 minutes.

Access to reasonable public transit becomes an issue, the report says, as workers continue to climb out of the national recession. People need to be better connected through public transportation, it argues.

“To accelerate the recovery and transition into a sustainable next economy, employers must be able to access potential employees by public transit,” said Adie Tomer, a senior research associate at Brookings and the report's author.


In the Omaha area, companies that provide 76.2 percent of the jobs are accessible by public transportation.


But only 28.5 percent of metro-area workers can get there within 90 minutes.


The renamed Metro bus system is responsible for public transit in Omaha, Council Bluffs, Bellevue, Papillion and La Vista.

In recent years, Omaha leaders have discussed the possibility of a streetcar or a light rail line, but plans have yet to move.


more... Improved public transit urged to help speed economic recovery - Omaha.com
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2012, 09:48 PM
 
624 posts, read 1,170,004 times
Reputation: 147
I really like how that article focuses more on the things that have caused transit to be "bad", rather than focusing on how the system is "bad". That's a good read.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2012, 09:44 PM
 
624 posts, read 1,170,004 times
Reputation: 147
I made this lighrt rail map today. It's my idea of a realistic system that Omaha could have in 10 or so years
Attached Thumbnails
Omaha Metro Area Transit to change it's name (still no buses west of 120th street or south of harrison street)-metro-light-rail-schematic.jpg  
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2012, 01:31 AM
 
624 posts, read 1,170,004 times
Reputation: 147
Metro will be renovating Westroads TC and Benson Park TC. It doesn't sound like it, but I really hope they plan on updating the design of them. They're very minimal and even though they look nice enough, they really don't do anything in the way of attracting riders.

Announcements - Rider Alerts - Omaha Metro
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2012, 10:23 AM
 
Location: Omaha Nebraska and dreamland when I am sleeping
3,096 posts, read 6,814,786 times
Reputation: 527
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busguy2010 View Post
Metro will be renovating Westroads TC and Benson Park TC. It doesn't sound like it, but I really hope they plan on updating the design of them. They're very minimal and even though they look nice enough, they really don't do anything in the way of attracting riders.

Announcements - Rider Alerts - Omaha Metro

cutting the time the bus drivers gawk around at benson park TC would be nice (coughs route 14 drivers)

cause there is no need for 5-15 min. layovers at Benson Park TC. no route ends there so there is no need for that long of a lay-over




btw, this is just stalling

some new bus routes or better bus service would help. improving the transit centers is nothing.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2012, 12:38 PM
 
624 posts, read 1,170,004 times
Reputation: 147
Metros making some changes this month... I saw the rider alert and clicked on it with high hopes, only for them to be dashed. Most of the changes aren't good.

Announcements - Rider Alerts - Omaha Metro

Route 1: last day of service August 17 Thats MY ROUTE. Those b*a*s*t*a*r*d*s!!

Route 2: Removing unique Central High trip

Route 5: Removing morning and afternoon trips to and from Mcmillan Middle School

However

Route 26: Increasing service to every 30 minutes from start to end of afternoon rush, so 5 and 26 are whatever

Route 92: Removing service to North Omaha TC. Adding two westbound trips in the afternoon and one eastbound trip in the morning.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top