U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2013, 11:58 AM

624 posts, read 1,193,855 times

Advertisements

Metro is unveiling a streamlined route 93 to address the needs of the riders and the tax money issue with La Vista and Papillion. I am so glad a comromise was made and the riders weren't thrown under the bus. This means a lot coming the from two suburban communities where transit isn't high on the list of priorities.

http://www.ometro.com/news/new-expre...ith-free-rides

It's a step up in that the ride time is significantly reduced and an additional park and ride lot is added at 84th and Harrison. The new route won't go as far south and wont directly serve the neighborhoods like it does now, but I'd say this is a good compromise considering they were looking at removing it all together.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/omaha-metro/...er_4__2013.pdf
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2013, 04:06 PM

181 posts, read 316,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busguy2010 View Post
Metro is unveiling a streamlined route 93 to address the needs of the riders and the tax money issue with La Vista and Papillion. I am so glad a comromise was made and the riders weren't thrown under the bus. This means a lot coming the from two suburban communities where transit isn't high on the list of priorities.

Announcements - News - Omaha Metro

It's a step up in that the ride time is significantly reduced and an additional park and ride lot is added at 84th and Harrison. The new route won't go as far south and wont directly serve the neighborhoods like it does now, but I'd say this is a good compromise considering they were looking at removing it all together.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/omaha-metro/...er_4__2013.pdf

Do the communities of LaVista and Papillion pay Omaha, or is the only income from fares?

Old 10-23-2013, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhettB View Post
Do the communities of LaVista and Papillion pay Omaha, or is the only income from fares?
The communities pay maintainence and gas per vehicle mile traveled in their cities to Metro. I think that's how it works. I can see how this streamlined route greatly reduces the vehicle miles traveled in their areas, and that is partly the reason they did this.

Old 01-04-2014, 08:01 PM

11 posts, read 15,765 times
Any info about Route 15 going to 33rd street, and where at? Horrible if they run it westbound up Dodge Street, and then south on 33rd. Some of Farnam Street patrons have difficulty walking longer distances, especially to chaotic Dodge Street.

Old 01-06-2014, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newshound View Post
Any info about Route 15 going to 33rd street, and where at? Horrible if they run it westbound up Dodge Street, and then south on 33rd. Some of Farnam Street patrons have difficulty walking longer distances, especially to chaotic Dodge Street.
I wasn't even aware route 15 is under a detour. These are the kinds of things Metro needs to post on the website, no matter how small.

You can issue a comment directly to them through this link: Contact - Comment Form - Omaha Metro

Old 01-07-2014, 09:23 AM

3,098 posts, read 6,933,757 times
any new bus routes coming in 2014

or will more bus service cutbacks and useless 1 million dollar surveys that are a waste of money and time every year

happen in 2014 in the name of "improving" bus service

Old 01-07-2014, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billiefan2000 View Post
any new bus routes coming in 2014

or will more bus service cutbacks and useless 1 million dollar surveys that are a waste of money and time every year

happen in 2014 in the name of "improving" bus service
Things are getting better every month, Billiefan. We may not be getting better routes yet, but we are getting system improvements in the way of the new transit center, new fareboxes, and for every year since 2009 we've gotten new buses.

I don't know when new routes will make their way in, but you can't say Metro isn't improving, and all of that improving will eventually lead to new routes.

Old 01-07-2014, 04:31 PM

3,098 posts, read 6,933,757 times
Quote:
Things are getting better every month, Billiefan. We may not be getting better routes yet, but we are getting system improvements in the way of the new transit center, new fareboxes, and for every year since 2009 we've gotten new buses.

I don't know when new routes will make their way in, but you can't say Metro isn't improving, and all of that improving will eventually lead to new routes.

(scoffs at things getting better every month line)

regarding the new transit center in north omaha,

does the wi-fi suck there at North Omaha 's transit center and be un-useable no matter what like Westroads Mall transit center 's is.

I scoff at new bus routes happening.

Recent "improvements" is just dressing to make it look like major improvements are happening.

Bus service wont improve, no matter what new fareboxes and transit centers there is.

I btw wont hold my breath at new bus routes.

Curt Simon promised years ago a non-express bus route down west maple road and nothing has happened

(see) http://www.wowt.com/news/headlines/101330764.html

same with the planned years ago bus route between westroads mall and oakview mall.

Curt Simon gave a broken promise after broken promise.

You have more a chance of winning the lottery than seeing a new NON-EXPRESS bus route in Omaha.

So dont give me the lie there will be new bus routes for west omaha. We already fell for that lie and broken promise years ago.

Last edited by billiefan2000; 01-07-2014 at 04:49 PM..

Old 01-11-2014, 02:11 PM

8 posts, read 12,303 times
Arrow South Omaha?

Quote:
I just found out that Metro is eliminating Route 48. Route 48 has always been a route that mainly caters to the students of Bryan High/Middle Schools. In recent years, this is all it has been for. In the past, the route started near Bryan and went north on 48th, 50th, and 52nd, and served the medical center. The last day of service is May 31st. The reason is likely low ridership, and Bellevue can't justify paying for it. I might add that within the last five or so years, Bellevue has dropped four of the five routes that have served the area in the last 20 years. First the 60, then the 50, 17, and now 48.

On a less significant note, I noticed they also eliminated the South 72nd/Crossroads Stadium Express route.

It seems Metro has been on a route eliminating spree in a short period of time. Just in the last two years they dropped the 1, 10, 17 and the soon to be gone 48; all of which are routes that don't have any replacements (like how the 3 now serves 42nd in place of the 40). I think it's about time to get some new routes in place of these eliminations. Or at least some significant technology and information improvements other than new buses. I'm bored of hearing about new buses; lets see some new routes. I don't remember the last new fixed route in Omaha because it probably happened before I was born. Anybody have an idea of the last new fixed route?
Sorry if this post is coming 8 months after this post, but in just reading this, I'll inform you that despite three south going away (the 10 and 48 only being rush hour routes anyways), there are several buses in south omaha east of 72nd. East/West, there is the 15 and 55 that goes down farnam/42nd/center (maybe they could change one of them to Bergan, say serving south 60th street, since the both follow the exact same track to there), the 11 that goes down Leavenworth to Bergan, the 32 that goes down Vinton/Grover to near Bergan and then 84th and then center to there. There is the 13 that goes down 13th street to L/Q to 72nd St. There's the 9 that goes down 24th street and up and over to Vets hospital. The 7 goes down 16th/24th Street to Q to Metro College south, then over to Sunshine near Harrison. And the 3 that goes down 42nd street all the way to L and to MCC south, which is a continuation from NOTC.

If anything, they need a bus in the south 60th street area, and then have 1 or 2 buses running throughout Bellevue constantly, say once an hour, connecting with the 7 @ sunshine! Don't forget Bellevue only being around 45-50K people. And maybe, just MAYBE a bus hourly running through Papillion and La Vista. But those 2 cities aren't even 35K combined. And if they're only getting 10-15 people in the rush hours, how would a full service bus even be worth it?

It's all about ridership.

Old 02-02-2014, 09:41 AM

11 posts, read 15,765 times
Default Clarification

Quote:
Originally Posted by newshound View Post

Sorry about insufficient detail. There was a community forum in December, about possible changes in routes 2 and 15. Info is still vague. All that's ever said is something about #15 going on 33rd Street.

If it's kept on Farnam downtown-33rd, Ok. But will it miss Midtown Xfer Center?

We don't want it running up Dodge ST from downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha