Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 10:38 AM

306 posts, read 714,062 times

Advertisements

I drive along a bus route on my way to the interstate and there are people standing at most, if not all the stops in the morning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2010, 10:40 AM

3,098 posts, read 7,541,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessep28 View Post
I drive along a bus route on my way to the interstate and there are people standing at most, if not all the stops in the morning.
I ride the 15 sometimes Metro

and I too see people standing at most, if not all the stops in the morning

same with the 2 route Metro

Old 08-24-2010, 12:16 PM

1,048 posts, read 2,469,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billiefan2000 View Post
excuse me, but drop the 2 people only ride at a time crap. I was on the 14 bus yesterday and there were 15 people on the bus around noon.

it is obvious you havent ridden a MAT bus in a long time. the 4/14/8 are usually full when I ride them. the 2 and 3 and 15 are heavily used also.

the buses except late at night are usually busy.

I did hear plans for MAT to have a route from westroads to 204th and maple. it was said on wowt yesterday.
Sheesh man relax. I didn't mean only 2 people ride the bus. . I meant that it would be waste to drive to Elkhorn to pick up 2 people and take them to Westroads.

Old 08-24-2010, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheaton View Post
Sheesh man relax. I didn't mean only 2 people ride the bus. . I meant that it would be waste to drive to Elkhorn to pick up 2 people and take them to Westroads.
yeah you meant it about all of the bus system. You HATE the fact we have a bus system in Omaha.

just like those who make racially charged remarks about North High who then say when called out on the comments quote: "I was just joking".

you dont know that only 2 people would ride between westroads and 204th and maple. who knows, it maybe just as busy as the 2 or the 15 or the 18 route.

what's wrong with giving the route a chance.

Old 08-24-2010, 03:06 PM

1,048 posts, read 2,469,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billiefan2000 View Post
yeah you meant it about all of the bus system. You HATE the fact we have a bus system in Omaha.

just like those who make racially charged remarks about North High who then say when called out on the comments quote: "I was just joking".

you dont know that only 2 people would ride between westroads and 204th and maple. who knows, it maybe just as busy as the 2 or the 15 or the 18 route.

what's wrong with giving the route a chance.
I could be wrong, maybe it would be used by more than 2 people. I just can't imagine swarms of people from Elkhorn busing to Westroads. I suppose if they want to give it a try nothing is stopping them. This is nothing about being called out, I'm not stupid enough to really thing only 2 people ride the bus everyday.

As for the part about hating the bus. . Completely wrong. I wish we had a much better public transportation system. I would use it a lot more.

Old 08-25-2010, 12:41 AM

624 posts, read 1,308,848 times
Metro isn't that bad. I live near Crossroads and I find it to be a reasonable way to get around. There are a lot of changes I would make if I were in charge, but for the money they are given to run the system, I think they're doing fairly well. It's just an issue of money. If they were given an infinite amount of money to do with it what they want, they's have buses on every street. You must understand it's a push-pull thing down there. They have a set amount of money they recieve, so if one area needs bus service badly and they give it to them, they have to pull service from a different area.

For example, with the 3, they extended it to South Omaha, but they also pulled Route 40. Years ago, they extended the 8 to Benson park, but also pulled service to Immanuel. Recently, they aded the 25, but pulled Route 3 service to 48th, pratt, Ames and Paxton... You ge thte idea.

Although, lately, the trend has broken a little. They added Route 92 and Route 5 south of Dodge, which didn't remove another service, so maybe their funding is better. In the future, I see Metro recieving more money to make themselves better. If they plan of following through with better service and better features, they would have to recieve more money.

Old 08-25-2010, 05:42 AM

27 posts, read 108,417 times
If they really wanted to make a difference, they would create an express bus system that goes from downtown to, oh i don't know, about the 192nd and Dodge area without stops. They would also put surface parking at the 192nd stop, so people could drive from the whole area and take the express buses into the downtown area. Then, would be awesome if a light rail system were built downtown to connect that express bus station with a light rail system out to TD Ameritrade, the airport, and all throughout downtown and the Old Market.

That makes too much sense though, and would never happen.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:19 AM

482 posts, read 1,330,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmahaMac View Post
If they really wanted to make a difference, they would create an express bus system that goes from downtown to, oh i don't know, about the 192nd and Dodge area without stops. They would also put surface parking at the 192nd stop, so people could drive from the whole area and take the express buses into the downtown area. Then, would be awesome if a light rail system were built downtown to connect that express bus station with a light rail system out to TD Ameritrade, the airport, and all throughout downtown and the Old Market.

Yes Please! Maybe 2 or 3 express stops on the route would be a good idea. Make park and rides at several locations along the way. Perhaps UNO, crossraods, westroads, etc would be good locations.

Old 08-25-2010, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmahaMac View Post

they have the express 92 which goes to 180th and dodge.

I would prefer some regular routes for west omaha, like the 64 idea

We want Omaha MAT bus to implement this "Route 64" for Northwest Omaha. | Facebook

or that route 12 idea that busguy mentioned and had a schedule
6 days a week like Route 1 and only ran between Oakview Mall and Westroads.

Old 08-25-2010, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busguy2010 View Post
Metro isn't that bad. I live near Crossroads and I find it to be a reasonable way to get around. There are a lot of changes I would make if I were in charge, but for the money they are given to run the system, I think they're doing fairly well.

It's just an issue of money. If they were given an infinite amount of money to do with it what they want, they's have buses on every street. You must understand it's a push-pull thing down there. They have a set amount of money they recieve, so if one area needs bus service badly and they give it to them, they have to pull service from a different area.

For example, with the 3, they extended it to South Omaha, but they also pulled Route 40. Years ago, they extended the 8 to Benson park, but also pulled service to Immanuel. Recently, they aded the 25, but pulled Route 3 service to 48th, pratt, Ames and Paxton... You ge thte idea.

Although, lately, the trend has broken a little. They added Route 92 and Route 5 south of Dodge, which didn't remove another service, so maybe their funding is better. In the future, I see Metro recieving more money to make themselves better. If they plan of following through with better service and better features, they would have to recieve more money.

I love the new 3 and 8 and also the 5 and 25 routes, been on them all.

on one sunday recently the 3 was handy cause I went to place some flowers at a friend of mine's grave in south omaha cemetary and it was easy to get back to north omaha.

before late april, I would have had to take the 13 or the 7 than transfer 2 more times before I got home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha