Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 01:31 PM

3,098 posts, read 7,543,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakuda View Post
When I lived on 84th and Q, I thought it was absolutely ridiculous I had to walk to Center street to catch a bus on a Sunday because that's the furthest south it goes.

I live right next to Mutual of Omaha and it seems, at least for me, most of the available jobs are out in west O. Right now I work at Lone Star which is already a far jaunt, and they're moving to 175th in like a month.

I sympathize. I am sad the 55 dont run on sundays.

the 13 dont go near 72nd and q street on sundays

and the 5 which for some strange reason dont run on sundays (dont go near 108th and q on saturdays) like it does mon-fri.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2010, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busguy2010 View Post
I never really thought of this, but if there were light rail on Dodge, there could be huge improvements and infill from 49th to 51st, if there were a station at 50th and Dodge. I could see something of along the magnitude of Aksarben Village happening there. Tear down the Kohll's building and all on the northwest corner to 51st, as well as the gas station on the southwest corner, the building on the southeast corner and the Dundee theater and whatever else there is on the northeast corner. There would be big opportunity for mixed use buildings with retail on street level and condos/apartments on the next two or three levels. Kohll's could move back in, as well as any other stores that would be interested. Have on-street parking on 50th as well as on dodge, parallel, not angled. The Dundee theater could re-open into a new building. That would be really cool and if we had light rail would totally happen. That would really reduce the highway feel of Dodge street. Maybe less people would use it only to get to work. I could picture Dodge street in this area as a four lane street with light rail in the middle, no left turns like it currently is, with parking on the street. Can anybody else envision how great that area could be?

I agree that the dundee theatre needs some upgrades.

Old 10-04-2010, 01:43 AM

624 posts, read 1,309,294 times
These are all changes I believe should happen within the next year or two. Or faster if they really want to please anybody.

1: Run all day weekdays, not just rush-hour, as well as all day saturday.
2: Run into the early morning and directly serve the Old Market on Friday and Saturday nights.
3: Fine the way it is.
4: Fine the way it is, but should interline with a route 32 that runs to Westroads.
5: Run the Weekday route through Saturday and run the current Saturday route on Sunday/ Run weekday and Saturday evenings between Westroads and NOTC.
7: Should run into the early morning on Friday and Saturday.
8: Extend to south of Dodge along 84th, through the neighborhoods, to the industrial parks.
9: Fine
10:Fine
11:Run into the early morning on Friday and Saturday and should directly serve the Old Market on Friday and Saturday nights.
13:Should run up 72nd on Sunday
14:Should extent along the Route 12 I made
15:Should run into the early morning on Friday and Saturday
16: Should run all day Weekdays and Saturday
17:Fine
18:Should Extend to Began mercy all week, still interline with 13, Run into the early morning Friday and Saturday.
22:Should extend south on 120th, to Millard
24:Should run into the Early morning of Friday and Saturdays
25:Fine
26:Fine
28:They should add the crosstown 28 I made
30:Should run into the Early morning on Friday and Saturday
32:Should extend to Westroads Monday through saturday and run evening service all week and Old Market service on Friday and Saturday
34:Fine
35:Should run into the early morning on Friday and Saturday
41/42: Should run into the Early Morning and serve the old market on Friday and Saturday nights
43:Fine
44:Fine
45:Fine
55:Should Run into the evenings weekdays/early mornings and serve old market directly on Friday and Saturday.
64: Add

Express routes: Fix them all to where they all at least arrive downtown in the a.m. before 7:00, 8:00, and 9:00 as well as leave downtown in the p.m. after 3:00, 4:00 and 5:00. Currently , only the 92 arrives downtown to serve 9:00 workers. the rest only cater to those who start work after 7:00 and before 8:00. Only routes 92 and 97 arrive before 7:00.

Old 10-04-2010, 09:27 AM

the 13 church should run on sunday like it does on saturday

and I agree on the 5, it should run the current Saturday route on Sunday

and also add the 64 and 12 routes

Old 12-14-2010, 11:36 AM

that is supposed to say route in prior post. :doh

just read in the omaha world herald, they are dis-solving bus service in Council Bluffs on sundays

(to which southwest omaha and the 108th and 90th forts treet areas of omaha are saying

there is bus service on sundays?

Old 12-14-2010, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmahaMac View Post
If they really wanted to make a difference, they would create an express bus system that goes from downtown to, oh i don't know, about the 192nd and Dodge area without stops. They would also put surface parking at the 192nd stop, so people could drive from the whole area and take the express buses into the downtown area. Then, would be awesome if a light rail system were built downtown to connect that express bus station with a light rail system out to TD Ameritrade, the airport, and all throughout downtown and the Old Market.

That makes too much sense though, and would never happen.
I dont think ending a route at 192nd/dodge would be good cause there is nothing there really.

204th and dodge is the place where there is menards, the metro college for elkhorn, a arby's and a burger king and some other stores.

Old 12-14-2010, 02:27 PM

624 posts, read 1,309,294 times
I just read a WOWT story about a transit survey that doesn't exist, I guess, is what I got, seeing there's nothing about a servey on Metro. Now just a bunch of people are complaining about how their tax dollars pay for buses that have barely anybody on them. It's so annoying. Don't they get that it's their fault that the bus system "sucks"? Assuming they drive a car, that is. Driving cars kills bus services, so the way I see it, if you drive a car, you have no right to complain about bus service in Omaha.

Old 12-14-2010, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busguy2010 View Post
I just read a WOWT story about a transit survey that doesn't exist, I guess, is what I got, seeing there's nothing about a servey on Metro. Now just a bunch of people are complaining about how their tax dollars pay for buses that have barely anybody on them. It's so annoying. Don't they get that it's their fault that the bus system "sucks"? Assuming they drive a car, that is. Driving cars kills bus services, so the way I see it, if you drive a car, you have no right to complain about bus service in Omaha.
I agree. us have a car and dont use the bus system, you forefit ur right to complain about the bus system.

i use the bus system frequently and I dont have a car (for the record)

Old 04-01-2011, 09:54 AM

it's official

sunday bus service is gone in council bluffs. betting it will be a matter of time before omaha side does the same.

p.s. bus service on weekends sucks in omaha.

the 5 and 55 arent allowed to run on sundays, plus I doubt even if 10 years down the line we get a bus route down west maple,

the Curt Simon runned METRO will allow bus service on sundays down west maple

cause some west omaha churches dont like people taking the city bus to get to church. plus it would be too convient for other reasons to have the bus run out west on sundays

==============================================

Daily Nonpareil Online > Archives > Council Bluffs > Council OKs new bus routes

quote:

The Blue Route will serve on weekdays only, running hourly from 5:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. and every 90 minutes thereafter until 11:30 p.m.

The Yellow Route would replace Route 43 and a portion of 44. It would use the South Expressway, going one way south of 23rd Avenue past the Manawa Power Centre to the Metro Crossing Shopping Center

and then on Veterans Memorial Highway to South 24th Street and then north past the Market Place Shopping Center to Mid-America Drive and west to the area by the new Social Security Administration office, the Mid-America Center and various industries in the area.

From there it heads east on 23rd Avenue to the South Expressway and back into downtown.

This route would serve weekdays and on Saturdays. On weekdays, it would operate hourly from 6 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. On Saturdays, there would be more trips to the retail areas every 90 minutes from 6:40 a.m. to 8:50 p.m.

There will be no Saturday service to Lakin Center,

the college or to the Mall of the Bluffs.

The first Yellow Route trip of the day would operate a shortened loop to serve the 23rd Avenue employment area prior to 6:30 a.m.

The new system also calls for the elimination of the North Broadway route and Sunday service because of low ridership.

Daily Nonpareil Online > Archives > Council Bluffs > Council OKs new bus routes

Old 04-02-2011, 02:23 PM

apparently the omaha city bus drivers are giving folks a reason not to ride by pulling pranks on them:

quote:

The No. 92 Metro bus was full about 7:15 a.m. Friday when the driver announced that there was a problem — a breakdown.

Riders groaned.

The bus had started at Village Pointe near 168th and West Dodge Road and had picked up more passengers at a bank parking lot near 144th and West Dodge, headed for downtown.

Though the bus makes a few stops to drop people off at their jobs along the way, it's called an express.

On this morning, it appeared, it was expressly the opposite. People looked at their watches, fidgeting and wondering how late they would be.

Contacting Metro headquarters and speaking loudly enough on his phone that everyone could hear, the driver explained that warning lights had lit and the bus wouldn't move. He asked for an estimated time when help would arrive, and looked disappointed at the response.

He hung up, turned to his passengers and delivered the news: “April Fools!”

Brad Ven Huizen, one of his riders, said the gag surprised everyone — and brought loud laughter, followed by applause.

more... Michael Kelly: A reason to laugh - Omaha.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha