Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2013, 12:34 AM

817 posts, read 1,769,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newshound View Post
No posts since last Fall?

Probably should watch where the downtown transit center may end up. About 4 years ago, the remote location around 16th and Cass was serious intention by their management. Huge mistake.
From what I have been told, the current plan is still to have it under 480 near 16th street. The only real benefit I could see is that it would be protected from rain. If they ran the downtown circular to the transit center it would work. Not ideal, but workable.

Next we need to return service to some of the neighborhoods. What good is a bus service that runs only the shopping areas. ATM I have to walk a full mile to get to a stop when I use to be less than 150 feet from one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2013, 02:22 PM

3,098 posts, read 7,544,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harshbarj View Post
From what I have been told, the current plan is still to have it under 480 near 16th street. The only real benefit I could see is that it would be protected from rain. If they ran the downtown circular to the transit center it would work. Not ideal, but workable.

Next we need to return service to some of the neighborhoods. What good is a bus service that runs only the shopping areas. ATM I have to walk a full mile to get to a stop when I use to be less than 150 feet from one.
I agree harsh.

btw:

there has been for a long time plans for a bus route that goes between westroads and oakview but I highly doubt it will happen as long as Curt Simon is running METRO bus.

there should btw be bus service (non express out to village pointe and shadow lake areas in papillion) (but not surprised no bus service exists to either area yet, considering Curt Simon 's bumbling at running METRO bus

Old 04-06-2013, 03:43 PM

624 posts, read 1,309,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harshbarj View Post

The plan is still to put it next to I-480 between 17th and 15th. It wont be under I-480, but just to the north of it, but still south of Cass. I personally see no benefit to having the transit center in this spot. Not only is it in a low demand area, but it will take many bus routes far from the high demand areas that they already serve. I don't know what crazy idea they have, but nobody's going to take a bus to the Downtown transit center and then take a 5 to 10 minute circulator ride to their destination.

Old 04-06-2013, 04:24 PM

I know. it would for sure wreck the 15/55 and 2 routes who would have to go out of their way a bit

I dont know what Curt Simon is thinking with the way he runs Metro Bus, but he needs to go. Things keep getting worse and we have less and less bus service, not more each year.

I am actually surprised, Old Curt hasnt sacked weekend bus service in Omaha with how bad he is running things

Old 04-06-2013, 07:42 PM

1,224 posts, read 2,189,302 times
The push to move it north has more to do with 16th street investors than it does with real transit goals.

Old 04-06-2013, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjacobm View Post
The push to move it north has more to do with 16th street investors than it does with real transit goals.
That is true. And I completely disagree with the idea. How are you going to attract anybody to the street if there's not good transit? They've already taken a good deal of the buses off 16th street, and they could stand to remove a couple more. But to take them a half mile north of there instead of putting them on Dodge and Farnam is going to be a complete mistake. I really hope they decide they don't need it. Downtown is its own transit center with all of the buses that travel along Dodge, Douglas, and Farnam. I definitely don't see any need or advantage to consolidating them all into an area far away from the action.

Old 04-06-2013, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billiefan2000 View Post
I agree harsh.

btw:

there has been for a long time plans for a bus route that goes between westroads and oakview but I highly doubt it will happen as long as Curt Simon is running METRO bus.

there should btw be bus service (non express out to village pointe and shadow lake areas in papillion) (but not surprised no bus service exists to either area yet, considering Curt Simon 's bumbling at running METRO bus
It's been a long time since I've thought of a new route that might just be feasible. This discussion is up again I think you would probably appreciate this too.

I like to call this idea "Route 42". It starts in South Omaha and goes out to Southport via 42nd and Harrison. I think it's feasible because it originates in a high ridership area, and it goes out to a new area on a would be newly served street. And because there are a lot of apartment complexes on Harrison, and a lot of businesses around 84th and 108th and Harrison. Just exploring the map it's seems to me much more feasible than I would have thought.

The big thing that would hold it back though would be the fact that it has to cross the county line for a short distance. That would complicate the planning process. But darn it, I like it! Seems like a no brainer for our next new route.

Maybe it would be an all-day route with 30 minute frequenct during rush periods and one hour during the day. I will definitely send this idea to Metro.

Route 42 Harrison - Google Maps

Old 04-07-2013, 01:14 PM

1,224 posts, read 2,189,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busguy2010 View Post
That is true. And I completely disagree with the idea. How are you going to attract anybody to the street if there's not good transit? They've already taken a good deal of the buses off 16th street, and they could stand to remove a couple more. But to take them a half mile north of there instead of putting them on Dodge and Farnam is going to be a complete mistake. I really hope they decide they don't need it. Downtown is its own transit center with all of the buses that travel along Dodge, Douglas, and Farnam. I definitely don't see any need or advantage to consolidating them all into an area far away from the action.
Their thought on the matter is that on street parking will be what brings people to the street. That is going to happen here fairly soon and on street parking doesn't mesh super well with numerous bus coming and goings.

Old 04-07-2013, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busguy2010 View Post
It's been a long time since I've thought of a new route that might just be feasible. This discussion is up again I think you would probably appreciate this too.

I like to call this idea "Route 42". It starts in South Omaha and goes out to Southport via 42nd and Harrison. I think it's feasible because it originates in a high ridership area, and it goes out to a new area on a would be newly served street. And because there are a lot of apartment complexes on Harrison, and a lot of businesses around 84th and 108th and Harrison. Just exploring the map it's seems to me much more feasible than I would have thought.

The big thing that would hold it back though would be the fact that it has to cross the county line for a short distance. That would complicate the planning process. But darn it, I like it! Seems like a no brainer for our next new route.

Maybe it would be an all-day route with 30 minute frequenct during rush periods and one hour during the day. I will definitely send this idea to Metro.

Route 42 Harrison - Google Maps

sounds good, but I doubt as long as Curt Simon isnt intrested in seeing any new bus routes, I doubt it would happen.

We keep losing bus routes each year (1, 111 and 10 and 17 among others)

and other than the 25 and 92 routes, we havent for years had a new bus route.

btw, the route 48 bus route http://ometro.com/bus-system/bus-rou...-weekdays-only

who goes between SOTC and Bryan High crosses into sarpy county lines.

Many people forget that and the express routes 95 and 93 go past Harrison and into Sarpy County.

on a side note, suspect that will be next route METRO will eliminate (if any) cause it isnt as popular as it should be.

Old 04-07-2013, 03:25 PM

btw, the route 42 idea would be good for one thing

it could have a connection/transfer point with the under-used route 5

Bus Route 5 - Omaha Metro

that goes to 108th and Harrison area on weekdays

maybe have it run every 90 minutes on saturday also if it gets popular enough (and if Curt Simon and Metro Bus ever adds a route 42 or any new bus route

(which isnt likely since METRO keeps us giving us broken promises about improving and expanding bus service)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha