Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 12:34 PM

3,098 posts, read 7,542,911 times

Advertisements

anyone remember these in Omaha? this is a going down memory lane in omaha post

a friend of mine showed me a old omaha world herald paper from 1992 and it had listed for local movie theatres

the discount 2 screen theatre at 84th and dodge near shopko

indian hills at 86th and dodge

Maplewood Twin Cinema at 90th and bedford area (where aldi's is now)

Cinema Center 8 at 82nd and center

O-Cinema 9 at 120th and q

orchard 4 at 132nd and center

South Cinema 7 and Southroads 4 Theatres in bellevue

and there were 3 from Council Bluffs listed (one was at Mall of the Bluffs)

and park 4 theatres at 84th and park drive in ralston area

anyone remember these and have good or bad memories of any of these places and is there any that you wish were still around today
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2010, 09:20 PM

1,048 posts, read 2,469,840 times
Q-Cinema 9 at 120th and Q was where my wife and I went on our first date. Kind of sad.

Cinema Center was where I saw lots of movies during high school with a lot of friends.

What's worse is several of these places that were demolished are either empty holes in the ground or were turned into a useless parking lot.

Old 09-12-2010, 10:53 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,059,119 times
I remember Indian Hills. That place was cool. The way it was demolished was pretty shady too from what I can remember.

The only significant movie theater in Council Bluffs was the old drive-in down in the South End. The only other theaters in Council Bluffs were at the Mall of the Bluffs (nice, but neither historically or culturally significant really) and the one at the Omni Center Mall, which was basically crap.

Old 09-13-2010, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheaton View Post
Q-Cinema 9 at 120th and Q was where my wife and I went on our first date. Kind of sad.

Cinema Center was where I saw lots of movies during high school with a lot of friends.

What's worse is several of these places that were demolished are either empty holes in the ground or were turned into a useless parking lot.

I agree. Stockyards 8 and Indian Hills are nothing but parking lots and I think so is Q Cinema 9

I went to the drive in a couple of times. loved that one in CB.

isnt the one that was in ralston on park drive now a Jazzercise place (cause someone told me that is where it was)

Old 09-13-2010, 05:08 PM

175 posts, read 441,717 times
I liked Indian Hills and that HUGE screen they had.

I also miss the Stockyards, the movies were fifty cents before noon. You can't beat that. Although I did see some pretty scary stuff, mostly gang related or just basic dumb*****ery.

Old 09-14-2010, 12:05 AM

216 posts, read 951,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
I remember Indian Hills. That place was cool. The way it was demolished was pretty shady too from what I can remember.
It was pretty bad how they (Methodist) demolished it. They damaged one of the 3 cameras, most of the thin slats that made up the screen, and dropped the big neon sign when taking it off the side of the building. As far as I know it's in the basement of The Durham Museum. Here's a good link for Indian Hills Memories of Omaha's Lost Architectural Treasure.
I watched Tommy by the Who there, and other good movies.

Quote:
the Omni Center Mall, which was basically crap.
Is that mall still there? It was strangely built, and so was the theater. There used to be other theaters in downtown Co. Bluffs, sadly a old one featured dirty movies

I remember more theaters in Omaha that are mentioned here so far. Downtown at one time had close to a dozen. Where I grew up I had 3 theaters near me that were within walking distance. The Center, Astro, and Admiral theaters. Times were different in the 70's, safe to walk around. I found this page that gives 52 theaters Cinema Treasures | Search Theaters (http://cinematreasures.org/search/query=omaha&search=city&method=n&show=all - broken link) (some are missing) of open/closed/or demolished theaters that were/are in Omaha. There's some cool old pictures of some. The 84th & Center Drive-In was good times

Old 09-14-2010, 12:59 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,059,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandmanSand View Post
It was pretty bad how they (Methodist) demolished it. They damaged one of the 3 cameras, most of the thin slats that made up the screen, and dropped the big neon sign when taking it off the side of the building. As far as I know it's in the basement of The Durham Museum. Here's a good link for Indian Hills Memories of Omaha's Lost Architectural Treasure.
I watched Tommy by the Who there, and other good movies.
Thanks for the link! That's one I don't remember seeing.

If I recall correctly, Methodist was so quick (and subsequently sloppy) to demolish the theater because the city was going to do something that would have been a big enough legal hurdle that it would have all but killed the demolition effort, but Methodist beat them to the punch.

Quote:
Is that mall still there? It was strangely built, and so was the theater. There used to be other theaters in downtown Co. Bluffs, sadly a old one featured dirty movies
You know what's funny? Someone in the Crossroads thread asked about the same mall but didn't know the name, so I referenced this thread, and now I'm going to reference that thread.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGuy1979 View Post
Remember that mall that was downtown CB? I don't recall the name. I remember taking Broadway east until the road curved left and then just a little bit further it was on the right hand side of the road. There was a Orange Julius in there that made the BEST OJ's!!!! :-) ahh....memories.... lol
Quote:
Omni Centre. It's still there, but only a business mall now. I actually just brought this up in the theater thread too.

Bing Maps

OmniCentre- Home Page - Omni Centre - Professional Business Campus in the Heart of Council Bluffs, Iowa
I'm not sure what their current status is, but the theaters at Omni Centre were still open when I moved to Tampa, which was in the spring of 2002.

EDIT: It looks like the Omni Centre was originally "Midlands Mall".

Courtesy of The Historical Society of Pottawattamie County, Iowa...

An old postcard...

Old 09-14-2010, 05:53 AM

380 posts, read 1,000,325 times
I didn't even know they were going to close down Q Cinema 9. My wife and I had a date night set up and we were going to go there. We drove out west to go there and it was gone! No evidence it even stood! So, on our way back to Bellevue we stopped at the Stockyards one and wth?? CLOSED? It wasn't meant to be that night! lol

Old 09-14-2010, 10:39 AM

i lost a friend around thanksgiving in 2002 who died in a electrical accident at her house

and I would go to on the day after thanksgiving and lay some flowers at her grave. RIP Candy

and also catch a movie at stockyards 8 on the same day (since I get the day after thanksgiving off)

not anymore with the movies. might this year go to mid-town movie theatre this year

I was fuming when stockyards closed earlier this year

saw Surrogates starring Bruce Willis

and perfect getaway and Tyler Perry's I Can Do Bad All by Myself

and also 17 again starring Michelle Trachtenberg and some other folks who were in the film at stockyards movie theatre.

all great movies.

aliens in the attic. not good movie at all, except for the Doris Robert kung-fu scene which makes it worth the dollar I spent to see the film.

Last edited by billiefan2000; 09-14-2010 at 11:09 AM..

Old 09-14-2010, 11:56 AM

138 posts, read 264,765 times
When I was a wee lad (the late 70s) Omaha had what must have been a dozen drive in theaters.
Sad to see it go the way of the dodo and frankly I'm surprised that it has.
With more people than ever having cars and with movies being more expensive than ever, you would think that drive ins would be good business.

Sigh.

We just went to the drive in last weekend out here where I live now in Sacramento and the place was packed to the gills. It also seemed like they hadnt renovated in 40 years, but that's part of the charm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of: