Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 02:44 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,553,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by noe_7kl View Post
So what is considered Benson? and what is considered North Omaha?
Responded to the other message thread on Benson.

In regards to "North Omaha" as a neighborhood you are probably looking at somewhere between the river and 16th as the eastern boundary; downtown Omaha as the southern edge; Florence neighborhood on the north; and a squiggly line somewhere between 30th & 42nd on the west....

From a geographical perspective everything north and south is measured from Dodge street so anything north of that line has a northern designation (e.g. 1000 N 7nd is 10 blocks north of Dodge on 72nd where 1000 S 72nd is 10 blocks south of Dodge)....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2008, 03:47 PM

737 posts, read 1,916,255 times
Anything North of Blondo and east of 72nd street is considered North Omaha.

If Benson is not considered North Omaha, then what is Florence considered?

Both are small towns on the northeast side of town.

I would not consider living in that area of town, even if DTOLUV bought it for me.

Old 03-11-2008, 05:19 PM

64 posts, read 181,384 times
edited: quoted someone for reference and forgot to unquote them as this post wasn't meant to be directed at them.

Benson is Benson. Florence is Florence. Neither are small towns, rather they are neighborhoods that at one time were small towns somewhat west and far north, respectively, of what was once Omaha some one hundred years ago.

Someone already mentioned this, but geographically they are in the quadrant of what is called north (lowercase n) Omaha, but they are not what is considered North (uppercase N) Omaha.

The quadrant is made up of many once-towns. East Omaha, Saratoga, Florence, Benson and parts of Dundee. Yes even parts of Dundee would be considered north Omaha if it was as simple as north of dodge, east of 72nd and we can all agree that Dundee is hardly reminiscent of what people commonly refer to and characterize as North Omaha.

Several neighborhoods dot the area as well, including: Bemis Park, Gifford Park, Gold Coast, Hillside and the very nice (much nicer than most of west Omaha) Raven Oaks.

The Near North Side is what people think of when they talk about North Omaha. This part of town lies within the boundaries of Cuming to Locust and 30th to 16th, more or less.

Benson is a great neighborhood on the southwest side near Fairacres and Dundee, but gets a bit more "rough" north of the Northwest Radial.

Florence is a beautiful neighborhood and quiet. You need to travel through some rough areas to get there, but it's very similar to southern Benson and even the more modest parts of Dundee.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but so many people cut Omaha into these convenient pieces without knowing anything about what they are talking about.

West Omaha is not nearly as congenial and happy as people want it to be and north Omaha is hardly Compton.

Last edited by kite eating tree; 03-11-2008 at 05:59 PM..

Old 03-11-2008, 06:42 PM

737 posts, read 1,916,255 times
Hey, we have to be truthful to folks asking questions about neighborhoods on this forum. Why sugar coat things?

We live here they don't. Yes you are right there are many good things about North Omaha and the area's you mentioned were good area's at one time in the past. We have to talk about in the now on here. I would hate to mislead someone about an area of Omaha.

Florence and Bedford is not the place I would recommend any new comers to Omaha to start with. July 2007 we had a shooting every night and 90% were in North Omaha and this year is starting to heat up, just tonight 03-11-07 at 5:00 p.m. another drive by, one person shot. I can only imagine what this summer is going to bring.

Please when recommending neighborhoods on here be truthful to folks.

Old 03-11-2008, 07:24 PM

64 posts, read 181,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happygolucky View Post
Hey, we have to be truthful to folks asking questions about neighborhoods on this forum. Why sugar coat things?

We live here they don't. Yes you are right there are many good things about North Omaha and the area's you mentioned were good area's at one time in the past. We have to talk about in the now on here. I would hate to mislead someone about an area of Omaha.

Florence and Bedford is not the place I would recommend any new comers to Omaha to start with. July 2007 we had a shooting every night and 90% were in North Omaha and this year is starting to heat up, just tonight 03-11-07 at 5:00 p.m. another drive by, one person shot. I can only imagine what this summer is going to bring.

Please when recommending neighborhoods on here be truthful to folks.
I agree that we should be truthful and I also think we should be accurate. I was also very much talking about the the here and now, not the past.

North Omaha is a big place and characterizing it all the same is bothersome to me.

It is silly to accuse me of sugarcoating things and calling me a liar when I did neither of those things. I think you read a lot more into what you thought I said than what I actually said.

Anyway, I wasn't recommending anything to anyone. If it came off like I was then my bad. All I was doing was explaining what constituted north Omaha since people seemed to be unclear on that. /shrug.

Old 03-12-2008, 01:59 PM

482 posts, read 1,331,322 times
I agree with everything that kite eating tree has said about "north omaha".

Old 03-12-2008, 02:50 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,553,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kite eating tree View Post
edited: quoted someone for reference and forgot to unquote them as this post wasn't meant to be directed at them.

Benson is Benson. Florence is Florence. Neither are small towns, rather they are neighborhoods that at one time were small towns somewhat west and far north, respectively, of what was once Omaha some one hundred years ago.

Someone already mentioned this, but geographically they are in the quadrant of what is called north (lowercase n) Omaha, but they are not what is considered North (uppercase N) Omaha.

The quadrant is made up of many once-towns. East Omaha, Saratoga, Florence, Benson and parts of Dundee. Yes even parts of Dundee would be considered north Omaha if it was as simple as north of dodge, east of 72nd and we can all agree that Dundee is hardly reminiscent of what people commonly refer to and characterize as North Omaha.

Several neighborhoods dot the area as well, including: Bemis Park, Gifford Park, Gold Coast, Hillside and the very nice (much nicer than most of west Omaha) Raven Oaks.

The Near North Side is what people think of when they talk about North Omaha. This part of town lies within the boundaries of Cuming to Locust and 30th to 16th, more or less.

Benson is a great neighborhood on the southwest side near Fairacres and Dundee, but gets a bit more "rough" north of the Northwest Radial.

Florence is a beautiful neighborhood and quiet. You need to travel through some rough areas to get there, but it's very similar to southern Benson and even the more modest parts of Dundee.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but so many people cut Omaha into these convenient pieces without knowing anything about what they are talking about.

West Omaha is not nearly as congenial and happy as people want it to be and north Omaha is hardly Compton.
Boundaries can always be fuzzy, but this was a great explanation...

Old 03-25-2009, 03:38 PM

1 posts, read 4,249 times
I think we should blow up North Omaha and rebuild it! Too many gangs and violence; creates a bad name for Omaha!

Old 03-25-2009, 09:05 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,686,836 times
Worst joke I've ever heard.

Old 03-26-2009, 02:29 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,894,787 times
I think Ted Kaczynski was actually serious...sadly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha