Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 07:54 PM

31 posts, read 115,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by econdude View Post
If you have the personality of Oprah or skills in such demand that almost no one else can match what you can do, then it's easy to find a job in Omaha. But if that describes you, why would you want to limit yourself to Omaha? I'm not familiar with the way businesses operate outside of the Omaha area, but management in Omaha strikes me as constipated and backwards. VERY conservative. If you haven't done something before, forget it (unless you're the CEO's kid). econ
`

Love the conservative part in your post. I'm leaving Oregon after 22 to years cause it is to damn liberal. Come here you will enjoy it and its High unemployment I'm sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 08:02 PM

31 posts, read 115,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattDen View Post
At least Omahans with good jobs dont have inflated ego's to the extent that Lincolnites do. Omaha also has a strong corperate base unlike Lincoln.

Lincoln is hillarious when it comes to being very, very ego-centric as far as the general population. I love getting a cup of coffee and hearing all these UNL college students on their cell phones bragging out-loud about their exclusive internship that they have in Lincoln. Ive never seen such arrogance in my life and I have lived four cities outside of Nebraska and am orginally from Denver. People here will advertise when they are out via their cell-phone very loudly about the Lincoln movers and shakers they met like it was some famous internationally known celebrity they met.

Omahans (even the ones who work for big companies) tend to be fairly modest in person. Lincolnites on the other hand like dress up to go anywhere and like to talk about how ultra-sucessful they are and amazing their career is despite the fact they more then likely make much much less then someone with a similar career in a big city .

Omaha has at least merit for being arrogant because it does have a concentration of big companies larger then most cities its size, unlike Lincoln which despite wages on average 20% below the national average will never stop gloating about how it envisions itself as financial powerhouse in the same league as cities 10 times its size.

Long-term Lincolnites also seem to have a never ending need to talk about how amazingly rich the city is despite the fact the city tends to have huge budget deficits and sidewalks caving in and outdated infrastructure.

I know here in Lincoln I walked passed past a pizza parlor and this college guy was bragging to these women about being a chef and how amazing his job is. Obviously, in Lincoln somebody who throws pizza dough around and puts tomato sauce is considered a chef. Youd never see that level of arrogance in Omaha.

If you think Omaha is strange, try Lincoln its truely bizzare.

Which one is more country western and conservative, Lincoln or Omaha. I was born in Lincoln in 1942 but haven't been back since I was 17. I am retired on $22,00 a year and need to get the heck out of this liberal state of Portland Oregon after 22 years.

Old 02-18-2010, 04:50 AM

29 posts, read 84,026 times
The job market in Omaha is better than many other places, but it should be noted that many of the jobs here don't pay very well. In your case, you should check with temp agencies and careerlink to see if you can get an idea as to whether your skills are very employable here.

As far as actual living conditions go, Omaha has some pros, and some cons. I've been through DC and would much rather live here than there (though I'm not a huge fan of here). Omaha isn't too big, or too rural, and it's a fairly clean city. The public transportation sucks (I only mention this because a ton of people use public transport in DC - in case you do as well), so unless you were to live downtown, I'd get a car, if you don't already have one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha