Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 10:28 AM

482 posts, read 2,226,242 times

Advertisements

Well that sure clears that up as I was wondering what you were talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2007, 08:11 PM

7 posts, read 30,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerahrtlu View Post
Born and raised in Lincoln, my DH and I might be moving to Omaha in a few years. Mostly because the computer industry (What he's going to school for) in Lincoln is not as good as Omaha as well as houses being cheaper.
I haven't really "experienced" Omaha that much. I've only been to the zoo, a house party, the Old Market *ONCE* and my cousin/aunt's house. That is certainly not even close to seeing what Omaha is all about.
I was wondering what ya'll think of these two cities and which one is your favorite? We're having a tough time deciding which city to live in and hearing your responses may give us some points to think about.
All responses are appreciated!
Thanks in advance!
I've been in Lincoln for quite some time, and I think Omaha and Lincoln are (in my opinion) quite different. I believe someone posted already that Lincoln gets its new inhabitants from small town Nebraska, while Omaha tends to get theirs from non-Nebraska "corporate" workers. While it makes Lincolnites somewhat friendlier (IMO) because of the typical makeup of small town Nebraska it also makes Lincoln very conservative and less likely to change. Omaha, on the other hand, has things moving before the ink even dries.

It's not bad in either case since there's positives and negatives in both. I believe (IMO) Lincoln is better to raise a family while Omaha is better to start a career. Lincoln moves slow and steady, while Omaha speeds ahead. I love living in Lincoln. I love visiting Omaha. (Although I don't get to as often as I'd like.) It's quite enjoyable seeing the rapid growth in Omaha and sometimes I wish it would happen in Lincoln. But then again, I'm also glad it doesn't happen in Lincoln.

Two different cities...both great in their own way.

Old 12-10-2007, 02:57 PM

1,119 posts, read 4,199,246 times
Default freeways?

You guys do realize that you 'do not' have to drive on the freeways in Omaha that there are many alternatives.

Omaha has avenues, boulevards, streets, roads etc but on top of that it has the interstate system which 99% of the time you can drive 65 miles an hour IN THE CITY to get from place to place..

Omaha's traffic is not that bad, heck there are times in the day that in Lincoln that it sucks just as bad to drive as it does in Omaha..

I don't understand what you are trying to get at.. How is having an additional Route going at 65 miles an hour without stop lights throughout your city A BAD THING?

Also Lincoln is about 96 blocks east to west, Omaha is 204 without including suburbs so yeah you will get to some places quicker

Old 03-06-2008, 12:42 PM

2,811 posts, read 5,626,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_W View Post
lol sorry I wasn't trying to be harsh. I jut think it takes forever to get from one end of lincoln to the other no matter what rout you take. Lincoln could use a freeway system at lease to some extent.
I've lived in Lincoln for a little over 10 years, and I must say it's nothing more than an overgrown small town. It's a nice town, but just is lacking the infrastructure it needs (freeways, for example) and just has too much of a small town feel to it. I desparately wish for large office parks, big freeways, more shopping centers, more to do in general. That's why I- though living in Lincoln, would have to say I prefer Omaha (though I still prefer something bigger than Omaha, but between these two that's my choice).

Old 03-06-2008, 06:35 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,069,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kosnebbear View Post
Why does everyone think that a freeway is always the best thing to have? I can get around Lincoln better than I can if I was on the freeways of Omaha. In Lincoln if you have a accident you can turn off the main road to get around it. On the freeways of Omaha if there is an accident in front you can't drive around it. You can be in traffic for hours if it is a bad one. Freeways are nice if they are open and free of traffic problems so that you can get across town fast. Other than that freeways offer little benefit to Lincoln as I can travel across Lincoln east to west; north to south in always around 20 minutes if you know how to do it.

I'm 34, lived in omaha my entire life and have never been in traffic "for hours" due to an accident.

Old 03-23-2008, 11:12 AM

4 posts, read 20,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpoulsen View Post
DTO,

Pershing is not set up well. Devaney and Memorial are set up much much better. Lincoln handles 80,000 fans 8 or 9 times every fall and seem to be okay. I'm sure there are areas all over the U.S. (including Omaha) that will have the same problem. In fact, I was at Rosenblatt a few years ago and was stuck in traffic for about 2 hours...and it wasn't the CWS. However, I don't think Omaha "sucks" because of this...just the infrastructure around Rosenblatt.

I would also add that its hard for me to understand how a 4000 person concert caused this much trouble. Its not that bad down there. Are you sure you were parking in a good place?? There are no large parking areas down there (much like any downtown area), but it shouldn't be that bad...even Pershing.

By the way, Lincoln will soon be replacing Pershing. There is a new events center in the works that will be on the west side of downtown...down by the Haymarket.
That would be ****in stupid if they put it anywhere in the haymarket area. There's no ****ing room. Lincoln is not organized. Its all a cluster ****. They should put on 10th street towards the Kawasaki plant. Close to the highlands with all that ****ing land.

Old 03-23-2008, 11:23 AM

Default Stinkin Lincoln

Lincoln is not big enough to have freeways. I like the freeways because you can drve 65 mph. Omaha dosen't have a ****ing traffic light on every ****ing block like Lincoln does. When traffic does get heavy in Omaha yeah it does suck and it is probably worst then Lincoln but it also ends quicker. In Lincoln when there's heavy traffic you have to wait for every traffic light to turn green on every ****ing block and people drive so goddamn slow they go below the speed limit. I hate Lincoln because its one big cluster ****, its boring and there's more to do in O-Town.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
I'm 34, lived in omaha my entire life and have never been in traffic "for hours" due to an accident.

Old 03-23-2008, 11:37 AM

Default Money?

The only thing that Lincoln spends MONEY on is the ****ing traffic lights. They want to make our city look good with nice looking traffic lights. How stupid is that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_W View Post
Freeways aren't just designed for the local residents who know their way around and all the shortcuts. And yes freeways are a more convenient alternative from 2 lane roads with stoplights every block if your traveling a respectable distance. Im not saying jump on the freeway to go get some ice cream. Point proven is the good ol' husker saturdays. One football game shouldn't have to shut down an entire cities road system to gridlock. The fact is Lincoln waited to long for any sort of freeway to go through town and now its too expensive to do so. I think this proves Lincoln has a small town mindset and they always will.

Old 03-23-2008, 06:02 PM

1,181 posts, read 4,011,095 times
Aardogg,

Have you been to Lincoln? There is plenty of space in the haymarket area. The plans involve tearing down the post office and acquiring railroad land. There is a significant amount of land in that area. Furthermore, the reason for the arena is to help revitalize the downtown area. In addition, with NU as a tenant it makes little sense to put the arena away from campus. To put the facility clear out by the highlands area is ludicrous and completely economically inefficient.

Oh, and grow up with calling every idea "****ing stupid."

Old 03-24-2008, 09:48 PM

475 posts, read 2,234,722 times
I thought they were going to incorporate the post office into the entrance of the arena ?

The only development in Lincoln which has left me scratching my head ... is the Lancaster Events Center.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha