U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 11:01 AM

6 posts, read 21,298 times

Advertisements

We are two 50 something empty nesters and are considering a job related move to Omaha. Where would you live if schools were not a concern but taxes were. I'm kind of a city girl while my husband loves nature. I hate driving very far for theater, movies, shopping or good coffee while he satisfies his need for nature by taking long walks along city provided trails. Can anyone help? Empty_Nest
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2007, 12:08 PM

2,589 posts, read 9,830,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty_Nest View Post
We are two 50 something empty nesters and are considering a job related move to Omaha. Where would you live if schools were not a concern but taxes were. I'm kind of a city girl while my husband loves nature. I hate driving very far for theater, movies, shopping or good coffee while he satisfies his need for nature by taking long walks along city provided trails. Can anyone help? Empty_Nest
If you want to stay in the Omaha metro area then check out Papillion. If in Papillion city limits you have the lowest city tax rate of any town in the metro. Papillion has been investing in its park system and has a great one. It is very concious about building out its trail system. The trail system also connects to the broader metro trail system. There is a regional park with a small lake and a new amphitheatre.

It was just this week named as one of the best places to live in the United States (#6) and no other town in Nebraska even made the top 100.

A number of folks in your general situation as well. A lot of folks retire from the military and stay in Papillion.

Here are a few links that might interest you:
CNN/Money Article
City of Papillion
Walnut Creek
Amphitheatre (broken link)

Old 07-20-2007, 12:18 PM

Quote:
I hate driving very far for theater, movies, shopping or good coffee while he satisfies his need for nature by taking long walks along city provided trails. Can anyone help? Empty_Nest
Forgot to mention. Papillion just opened a new outdoor mall. A national magazine just wrote it up about how it was creating a little community of its own with folks out walking around, sponsoring community events, and having free concerts in the mall center each Friday night.

Shadow Lake (http://www.shadowlakeshopping.com/default.asp - broken link)

Old 07-21-2007, 08:44 AM

1,362 posts, read 4,322,425 times
Quote:

It sounds like you guys might be happy living Downtown. I live down here too and would highly recommend it.

You're not going to be any closer to theater than you are any place else in town. You would be within walking distance to the Orpheum, where touring productions like The Lion King and Phantom of the Opera go. The Holland Center, which is the home of the Omaha Symphony and host many national music acts. BB King has played there twice since the place opened. There are also other small community theaters around Downtown such as the Millenium, Blue Barn, and Shelterbelt theaters.

There are also places to see movies Downtown. The Ruth Sokoloff theater shows foriegn and art house films as well as ree runs of classics like Gone With the Wind. There is also a 5-6 screen theater opening in Midtown by Mutual of Omaha's Midtown Crossing development. This theater will be nice because the upstairs balcony will be for people 21 and over. There will be tables where you can order food and watch the movie. There are also some big 20 screens theaters not to far from Downtown too. We usually go over to the Star Cinema in Council Bluffs.

Coffee? It's Downtown. There's coffe all over the place from Starbuck's to popular local stores. I'm not a big coffee drinker though so I can't really recommend any place over the other but my friends like going to the places Downtown for a cup.

Downtown is also seeing more places to shop. Not just for quirky home decorations or antiques but every day retail needs. There are many small stores around Downtown that fill the spot of a huge grocery stores. There's delis, wineries, chocolate stores, bakeries, and farmer's markets so you can get by grocery shopping Downtown without having to leave the area. There are some nices places to do women's clothes shopping, but for men it's still a bit lacking. Urban Outfitters will be opening this fall Downtown. Probably not the place for retirees to do clothes shopping but they will be drawing other clothes retailers to Downtown.

Also if you're living Downtown you're close to many restaurants that offer food from all over the world. If you're retiring I imagine you want to spend time doing things outside of the house and not having to drive. This is doable Downtown. Not just in Omaha but many retiring couples around the country are moving to downtowns to be close to the cultural amenities, restaurants, and shopping that's not available in more suburban areas.

You also mentioned your husband is a nature lover. Downtown Omaha has many nice parks Downtown. All of them are connected to each other by bridges and all have lagoons, ponds, waterfalls and fountains. There are also parks and walkways along the Missouri River that lead up to a bridge where you can walk across the river. On the Iowa side of the river they are building a nature preserve for people to camp in. Boating is also very popular on the river. In just a short walk you can be in the middle of the city to a campsite on the river enjoying nature. All of this without having to drive either.

I think you really can't go wrong with living Downtown. I hope you guys will be neighbors soon.

Old 07-21-2007, 08:51 AM

482 posts, read 2,086,606 times
Springfield, Elk Horn, Gretna, Ashland, Valley, Louisville, or any of the smaller communities around Omaha if your job is in Omaha. You are within 15 minutes of Omaha city limits and it depends on where the job is at on how much more of a dirve you will have.

You might also look at Iowa as well. Their taxes are not as high as the taxes in Nebraska, we are the sixth highest taxed state right now and we are working to improve on this rating.

Either way welcome to Nebraska if you pick a location in our State to move to.

Old 07-21-2007, 11:17 AM

Basic question. Are you looking for Urban, Suburban, or Rural? All three are options for what you are looking for. The Papillion, Elkorn, etc would be suburban. The downtown suggestion is urban. There would also be a number of good rural one's as well.

Old 07-21-2007, 08:42 PM

88 posts, read 81,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1215 View Post
Basic question. Are you looking for Urban, Suburban, or Rural? All three are options for what you are looking for. The Papillion, Elkorn, etc would be suburban. The downtown suggestion is urban. There would also be a number of good rural one's as well.
That's an excellent question Dave -- because really any of those choices in this town would give her a relative "short drive" for ammenities when compared to other larger cities. The answer would really depend what kind of "scene" she is into.

If taxes really are at the heart of the decision then stay on the other side of the county/state line of Omaha. (you'd still be close enough to pop in for work or fun)

Old 09-18-2007, 09:52 AM

Default Visited Omaha

We finally got a chance to visit Omaha and we've decided that we would like to live in the old market area-close enough to walk to the river. I've been looking online at loft-like condo developments and would like anyone's input on the nicest location/amenities. We'd like tall ceilings/large windows and large open rooms. Any input? Thanks Sharon

Old 09-18-2007, 05:36 PM

1,362 posts, read 4,322,425 times
Glad you guys decided on Downtown. Welcome to the neighborhood!

The Cornerstone Apartments are nice. My significant other and a few other friends live there. I would highly recommend it. 402-346-0510

The Mayfair is another place I would recommend checking out. It's right on 12th and Howard in the Old Market. There are lots of other small places I can't think of right now. The Greenhouse which is right between the Old Market and where you'd walk to get to the river would also suit your tastes as well.

Are you interested in buying a place at all?

Old 09-19-2007, 02:20 PM

We really liked the location of the Cornerstone apartments its nice to know they are a good place to live! Actually we are interested in buying-we liked the SoMa row houses but thought our furniture might not fit up the narrow stairs. Also since we are moving from a rather large house we have a lot of art which might fit better with 11-14 foot ceilings rather than a standard apartment building. Any ideas? Sharon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha