U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-13-2011, 10:22 AM
 
Location: Omaha Nebraska
171 posts, read 507,152 times
Reputation: 108

Advertisements

Finally found some time and weather to get photos shot!

1.


2.


3.


4.


5. Looks like they built this ticket gate structure at all entrances.


6. I am guessing this will be some sort of Digital Video board on the far north east end right on Cumming street.


7.


8.


9.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-14-2011, 02:24 PM
 
Location: Tampa (by way of Omaha)
14,172 posts, read 20,485,977 times
Reputation: 9704
That stadium is so badass!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2011, 02:59 PM
 
6,486 posts, read 6,012,082 times
Reputation: 1273
for a stadium we didn't need...yah, it looks nice. I still don't understand why we built it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2011, 03:23 PM
 
Location: Tampa (by way of Omaha)
14,172 posts, read 20,485,977 times
Reputation: 9704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
I still don't understand why we built it.
Yes you do, because it's been explained a thousand times over the last 4 years.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2011, 03:41 PM
 
65 posts, read 114,281 times
Reputation: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
for a stadium we didn't need...yah, it looks nice. I still don't understand why we built it.
I knew you'd say that.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2011, 03:51 PM
 
Location: Tampa (by way of Omaha)
14,172 posts, read 20,485,977 times
Reputation: 9704
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebr View Post
I knew you'd say that.
Some people just can't let it go. They might as well get used to it though, because obviously this is a done deal and Omaha is already seeing significant benefits.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2011, 07:20 AM
 
6,486 posts, read 6,012,082 times
Reputation: 1273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Some people just can't let it go. They might as well get used to it though, because obviously this is a done deal and Omaha is already seeing significant benefits.
what benefits? sell me on it. shouldn't be hard to do if it's been explained a thousand times over. I know it keeps the CWS here (a renovation of Rosenblatt would have done that). I've heard the NightHawks will play there. Supposedly Creighton will use it.

Are we actually going to make a profit on it? I am skeptical. It's not just sour grapes--I'm just not convinced that there will be more benefit than cost. The city can't afford to spend money on a stadium that doesn't have a full-time occupant.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2011, 08:25 AM
 
Location: Omaha Nebraska
171 posts, read 507,152 times
Reputation: 108
The Stadium is Awesome! Its going to be a Great Asset to the city and its already helping the surrounding neighborhood.

Its filling up fast too.
March - May = Creighton
June = CWS
July = Red Sky Music
Aug - November = Omaha Nighthawks

I think its time go get past the crying. The thing is built, we can't turn back now. Everyone needs to support it because its not going away.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2011, 08:38 AM
 
Location: Tampa (by way of Omaha)
14,172 posts, read 20,485,977 times
Reputation: 9704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
what benefits? sell me on it. shouldn't be hard to do if it's been explained a thousand times over.
The problem with you (it's not just this issue) is that you've made up your mind and nothing is going to change that. Whatever "sell" you get you'll simply dismiss because it doesn't fit your dogma.

Anyways, I know this is going to be about as fruitful as slamming my penis in a car door, but here it goes.

Quote:
I know it keeps the CWS here
For the next 25 years.

Quote:
(a renovation of Rosenblatt would have done that).
No it wouldn't have.

- I don't believe (I could be wrong) that there was any actual acknowledgment by the powers that be that a renovation would keep the CWS in Omaha. It was more or less assumed by the Save Rosenblatt crowd.

- Several cities, mainly Indianapolis, were actively making sales pitches for the CWS.

- Rosenblatt was in such poor shape that a renovation would have entailed 40-60% of the total cost of the new stadium.

- Assuming the renovation came with a contract renewal, it would have only got us another 3-5 years rather than the 25 the new stadium got us.

- The stadium also came with a clause in the contract stating that the NCAA would have to pay off the remaining balance of the stadium should they breach the contract. The risk/reward was incredibly slanted towards the new stadium.

Quote:
I've heard the NightHawks will play there. Supposedly Creighton will use it.
Correct.

Quote:
Are we actually going to make a profit on it?
Of course we are. The stadium is being funded mainly on rental car and hotel room taxes meaning that other people are essentially going to pay for it, leaving the $30-$40 million in economic impact solely for our benefit.

Quote:
I am skeptical. It's not just sour grapes--I'm just not convinced that there will be more benefit than cost.
What benefit has Rosenblatt brought us? In 60 years it's brought about almost zero economic development to the 13th Street Corridor, while TDA Park has spurned significant development before it was even completed, and development = tax dollars. There is simply no competition between the two of them. TDA Park also carries the added benefit of allowing us to demolish Rosenblatt, letting the Zoo (an actual attraction) expand.

Quote:
The city can't afford to spend money on a stadium that doesn't have a full-time occupant.
Then how do you propose the city would afford to do a full scale on Rosenblatt? You're still looking at over 50% of of the cost of TDA Park and no real full time occupant. The Royals were already looking to jump ship and the stadium issue was just a convenient excuse to go. Rosenblatt almost certainly prevents us from getting the Nighthawks (brings in far more attendance than the Royals) and Creighton (can probably equal or surpass most Royals games) would have played in another stadium as well. Oh, and if we had renovated Rosenblatt and lost the CWS in a couple years, who do you think would be on the hook for paying for those renovation costs?

The bottom line is very, very simple. With the exception of sentimental value, there is no conceivably logical argument to support keeping Rosenblatt over the new TDA Park.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2011, 11:48 AM
 
6,486 posts, read 6,012,082 times
Reputation: 1273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
The problem with you (it's not just this issue) is that you've made up your mind and nothing is going to change that. Whatever "sell" you get you'll simply dismiss because it doesn't fit your dogma.
Actually, I was a supporter of the Qwest center, and was an initial supporter of a new baseball stadium. Until I found out we could keep the CWS by renovating Rosenblatt. I am also leery of adding yet more stuff into NoDo--an area that isn't easy to get in and out of.

Quote:
- I don't believe (I could be wrong) that there was any actual acknowledgment by the powers that be that a renovation would keep the CWS in Omaha. It was more or less assumed by the Save Rosenblatt crowd.
Only a statement by a MECA board member that sounded pretty convincing.
Quote:
- Several cities, mainly Indianapolis, were actively making sales pitches for the CWS.
Your point? Are we going to get enough benefit from building the stadium for that purpose only?
Quote:

- Rosenblatt was in such poor shape that a renovation would have entailed 40-60% of the total cost of the new stadium.
I believe I had heard estimates in the 20's of Millions of $.
Quote:
- Assuming the renovation came with a contract renewal, it would have only got us another 3-5 years rather than the 25 the new stadium got us.
I had heard 10 years.
Quote:
- The stadium also came with a clause in the contract stating that the NCAA would have to pay off the remaining balance of the stadium should they breach the contract. The risk/reward was incredibly slanted towards the new stadium.
I had not heard that. If that is the case, that's a plus.
Quote:

Of course we are. The stadium is being funded mainly on rental car and hotel room taxes meaning that other people are essentially going to pay for it, leaving the $30-$40 million in economic impact solely for our benefit.
And commuter taxes...and wheel taxes....

No...not directly, but it all comes out of the same pocket.
Quote:
What benefit has Rosenblatt brought us? In 60 years it's brought about almost zero economic development to the 13th Street Corridor, while TDA Park has spurned significant development before it was even completed, and development = tax dollars. There is simply no competition between the two of them. TDA Park also carries the added benefit of allowing us to demolish Rosenblatt, letting the Zoo (an actual attraction) expand.
Any tourism/tax revenue gained annually from Rosenblatt is gravy at this point--it's paid for. It was also occupied.
Quote:

Then how do you propose the city would afford to do a full scale on Rosenblatt? You're still looking at over 50% of of the cost of TDA Park and no real full time occupant. The Royals were already looking to jump ship and the stadium issue was just a convenient excuse to go. Rosenblatt almost certainly prevents us from getting the Nighthawks (brings in far more attendance than the Royals) and Creighton (can probably equal or surpass most Royals games) would have played in another stadium as well. Oh, and if we had renovated Rosenblatt and lost the CWS in a couple years, who do you think would be on the hook for paying for those renovation costs?
Have other communities built stadiums for teams of the NightHawks' caliber?

But to answer your other questions, Creighton-- has been playing there already...no reason to believe they'd move. And since we've kind of had a revolving renovate/contract going on with the CWS there was no reason to believe they'd seriously consider moving anytime soon.


Quote:
The bottom line is very, very simple. With the exception of sentimental value, there is no conceivably logical argument to support keeping Rosenblatt over the new TDA Park.
I actually came out initially in support of dumping Rosenblatt for a new stadium. I'm not convinced that it really makes sense, though.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top