Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 04:50 AM

2 posts, read 6,939 times

Advertisements

Hello to everybody,

We, Ute 46, Ken 50 and our Daughter Kathy 7 want to move to Omaha, Ken is born in USA PA, Kathy and i was born in Germany, we are in Ireland, Dublin, since 6 Years now, and Ken want to go home. (And we want to go with him; the weather here in Ireland is just raining raining raining). Before we moved to Ireland we lived in Germany, Ken moved from the States in 1970 but he is still an American Citizen

It looks like i can get a job in Omaha.

Now we have so much question about Omaha, like, is there any part of Omaha we should not move, how are the schools, how are the rent for a 3 bed room house? (first we have to rent a house, after a couple years we can buy a house ).

We hope we can get from here lots of information about our new home.

Thank you so much
Ute, Ken and Kathy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2007, 07:50 AM

2,589 posts, read 10,552,699 times
You really do have some good options. Urban, Suburban, and Rural.

If you want an urban enviornment then downtown Omaha or what is known as mid-town.

If you want a suburban enviornment then nothing better than Papillion. It was just last week named as the 6th best place to live in the United States.

If you want rural than many smaller towns within 30-45 minutes of Omaha.

Papillion would be very accepting of the international mix. There is a military base in Bellevue which is east of Papillion, so folks who have lived around the world live in and around Papillion. There are homes to rent and a wide price range of homes to buy.

Take a look at:
CNN/Money Magazine
City of Papillion

Old 07-22-2007, 12:27 PM

482 posts, read 2,225,606 times
As a life long Nebraskan I would have to agree with Dave here. Papillion is a very nice city in which to live. You have many other communities to chose from as well. All of these communities offer different things that are good and bad. Either way you and the rest of your family realy knows what you will like or dislike. Coming from Ireland makes it hard for you to travel to Nebraska and the Omaha area in order to look around before you decide on a location.

One area that you should avoid would be the North Omaha area. They have some real major problems here. The community is working on it and they are getting together to fight these problems. They are just starting to form their committee and the Police Chief is putting the police department behind these individuals.

Welcome to Nebraska.

Old 07-22-2007, 01:36 PM

88 posts, read 106,975 times
Papillion is a great little dynamic city--

Ralston has it's charm -

Recently annexed Elkhorn is charming as well.

Millard has excellent schools -but lately it seems traffic is getting snarled.

Omaha west of 60th street I'm neutral on.

I agree that you should avoid North East Omaha and (South East Omaha) -while there for sure are good neighborhoods in those parts of town - you'd have to really know the area to choose well -(plus folks are more likely to own pitbulls in these areas of town! - so don't take that gamble and go with one of the communities listed above.

Last edited by jesse--james; 07-22-2007 at 02:23 PM..

Old 07-23-2007, 01:28 PM

1,181 posts, read 4,009,835 times
I agree with pretty much everyone's assessment here. However, the pittbull reference is just silly! The idea that you need to worry about pitbulls when moving to a part of town is like saying I don't want to live near the airport because I'm afraid a plane might land on my house! Its just plain silly.

Old 07-23-2007, 04:48 PM

Matt, I was being silly with the pitbull line. (Serious about the rest though) Have you read all the ticked-off pitbull lovers on my other thread? Surely you can detect humor ..right ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpoulsen View Post
I agree with pretty much everyone's assessment here. However, the pittbull reference is just silly! The idea that you need to worry about pitbulls when moving to a part of town is like saying I don't want to live near the airport because I'm afraid a plane might land on my house! Its just plain silly.

Old 07-23-2007, 05:37 PM

1,181 posts, read 4,009,835 times
Jesse,

Sorry. Its hard to tell sometimes. My bad.

Old 07-24-2007, 03:43 AM

Jesse,

This thread is not about your hate about Pit Bulls here. Ken, Ute and Kathy are trying to gain information about a possible move from Europe to Omaha. It would be nice if they could come to Omaha for a few visits to get to know the Omaha area, visit some schools, and communities to see what they will like. Your remarks on THEIR THREAD about Pit Bulls are out of line. You need to keep these remarks on your own thread about Pit Bulls. You started out with some good information then you ruined it with your plug on Pit Bulls.

To Ken, Ute and Kathy,

Omaha just like other cities of it's size. Omaha has it's good points and it's bad points. Omaha has it's plus and minus points as well. No one posting here can tell you what you will like or dislike about Omaha. This is something that all of you have to decide on for yourselves. Omaha area and not just Omaha has a lot of nice communites where raising a child would be good. The schools for the most part are excellent and Nebraska Public Schools are always considered as being in the top 10 of America.

I told you about the North Omaha area which has it's problems so I went on line and found the news article so that you can read what the people in this area are doing to fight back against the problems that they have there. Here is the article link.

Group Tries To Empower Omaha - News Story - KETV Omaha (http://www.ketv.com/news/13730963/detail.html?rss=oma&psp=news - broken link)

Like I said it would be great if all of you could afford the trip to Omaha and stay awhile looking around, checking out some homes in the different communities in and around Omaha, checking on schools and other things that you would have concerns about, but this is very costly so you would have to do this when you come to Omaha.

Good luck.

Old 07-24-2007, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosnebbear View Post
Jesse,

This thread is not about your hate about Pit Bulls here. Ken, Ute and Kathy are trying to gain information about a possible move from Europe to Omaha. It would be nice if they could come to Omaha for a few visits to get to know the Omaha area, visit some schools, and communities to see what they will like. Your remarks on THEIR THREAD about Pit Bulls are out of line. You need to keep these remarks on your own thread about Pit Bulls. You started out with some good information then you ruined it with your plug on Pit Bulls.

Oh, "Lighten up Francis" -- Sgt. Hulka from the movie Stripes

Old 07-24-2007, 08:48 AM

Well at least you did get one thing right here I am a retired SGT from the military. But you need to just address the questions of those wanting information and your last remarks were not right in posting to this thread. Like I told you at your first remarks were very good then you went off track a little bit. I don't like Pit Bulls either, but that is my own personal choice just like it is yours. Maybe Ken, Ute and Kathy have Pit Bulls as well. You don't know and your own personal remarks about Pit Bulls to their questions are not needed here. If any of the moderators disagrees with me then they can advise me by way of private message and I will then drop it. Until then you can drop and give me 20 pushups, just like the movie "Stripes".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha