Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2011, 02:33 PM

2,677 posts, read 2,616,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Forcing people to accept your definition of marriage on others isn't very respectful, either. But what do I know?
You're not being forced to accept anything. If you don't like it, don't marry a man, the fact that others will be able to doesn't affect you, thus you lack the legal (and moral) standing to object.

Quote:
Telling me I'm a bigot because I think something is immoral is hardly respectful, is it? But what do I know?
Until you establish that it is in fact immoral instead of just stating so and expecting us to accept that, telling you that you are a bigot because of it is reasonable.

Old 09-07-2011, 09:10 AM

605 posts, read 1,198,605 times
Quote:

Get over yourself. I honestly don't care who you like to sleep with.
Good, if you don't care about who we sleep with, then quit making it a moral issue, its a civil rights issue - get over it.

If you don't care who we sleep with, then quit telling us who we can marry, quit supporting laws that tell us who we can marry.

Old 09-07-2011, 11:03 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,615,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfOmaha View Post
Good, if you don't care about who we sleep with, then quit making it a moral issue, its a civil rights issue - get over it.

If you don't care who we sleep with, then quit telling us who we can marry, quit supporting laws that tell us who we can marry.
Quit trying to force your definition of marriage on society and I'll leave you alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DentalFloss View Post
You're not being forced to accept anything. If you don't like it, don't marry a man, the fact that others will be able to doesn't affect you, thus you lack the legal (and moral) standing to object.
That doesn't work. I don't have to bend to your whim here. You have the exact same marital rights that everyone else in society has. The fact that you don't want them is irrelevant. Honestly, I'm sick of you and other gay people whining here. You don't like it? Don't marry a woman. But just leave us alone and stop trying to force your morals and values on us. Marriage is just fine the way it is. It doesn't need to be changed.

Old 09-07-2011, 01:18 PM

2,677 posts, read 2,616,456 times
Quote:
I don't have to bend to your whim here. You have the exact same marital rights that everyone else in society has.
First, I'm not gay. I'm a happily married heterosexual male, with the most wonderful wife in the world. She is bisexual, and though we do play with others, we're not seeking a polyamorous relationship. If one happens to find us on it's own, so be it. I have no self interest here, I defend the idea of equality and freedom because those things are important.

Second, you're not being asked to bend to anything. You will be totally, completely, 100% unaffected by changes in the marriage laws allowing homosexuals to partake. I'd wager you'd have to try pretty hard to even notice it.

You're taking your outdated, homophobic, bigoted, unjustifiable moral code and asking, nee demanding that people who don't share it nonetheless live by it.

Who is asking who to bend??

Old 09-07-2011, 01:34 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,062,561 times
The fact that through almost 500 posts now, Calvinist still cannot explain why he would be affected by the change or give a secular argument for his position shows how weak that position really is. He's defending a religious dogma.

Oh and DentalFloss, check your PM's man!

Old 09-07-2011, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
The fact that through almost 500 posts now, Calvinist still cannot explain why he would be affected by the change or give a secular argument for his position shows how weak that position really is. He's defending a religious dogma.

Oh and DentalFloss, check your PM's man!
I've stated it several times. If you can't be bothered to read my posts, I can't help you. You attempting to change the definition of "marriage" affects everyone that has a "marriage". I don't know how much simpler to make it. If you can't understand that, go find someone to read my post to you.

Old 09-07-2011, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DentalFloss View Post
Second, you're not being asked to bend to anything. You will be totally, completely, 100% unaffected by changes in the marriage laws allowing homosexuals to partake. I'd wager you'd have to try pretty hard to even notice it.
I'm not directly affected by genocide in Darfur, but I think it's a horrible thing. Don't you?
Quote:
You're taking your outdated, homophobic, bigoted, unjustifiable moral code and asking, nee demanding that people who don't share it nonetheless live by it.

Who is asking who to bend??
As has been pointed out numerous times, morality is irrelevant in regards to the law...right? I don't think it's a good idea to change marriage to suit the whim of a tiny minority. The fact that it's an immoral behavior is not of consequence.

Old 09-07-2011, 03:07 PM

Quote:
I've stated it several times. If you can't be bothered to read my posts, I can't help you. You attempting to change the definition of "marriage" affects everyone that has a "marriage". I don't know how much simpler to make it. If you can't understand that, go find someone to read my post to you.
You haven't explained how.

Old 09-07-2011, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
You haven't explained how.
umm....by changing the definition?

Can you tell me how you think gay people are somehow discriminated against? YOu have yet to tell me that in almost 500 posts.

Old 09-07-2011, 03:11 PM

Quote:
umm....by changing the definition?
Changing the definition of a word does not effect someone on that basis alone, especially in this context as the definition would simply be expanded. Everyone else who was previously married will still be married.

So, again I ask, how are you effected?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha