Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 02:02 AM

3 posts, read 12,754 times

Advertisements

Hi Folks,

My wife and I are moving to your fine city! We are very excited. Native San Franciscans (37 and 32) relocating for work. We are incredibly friendly and simple folks and hope the city will match our energy.

As with any relocation we are completely lost on where to live!

Any kind souls out there want to offer some advice/resources?

About us....we are firm believers in a balanced life.

-We like to eat out, but we also like to stay home and cook a good meal. So quick access to good eats is important. Walking preferably, but a short drive is okay.

-We like to walk. A lot. And even better if we can do so in our neighborhood.

-We really dont like "track" home housing. We prefer places with character, history and/or modern loft/townhome places. We also are open to homes.

-We are moderate drinkers. Not party folks.

-We would like to know our neighbors. In fact, having them over for dinner once and a while would be great

-We are expecting a child soon. But we dont need to live in soccer mom suburbs, but other families as neighbors would be nice. But def not raging party kids. Somewhere in the middle capiche?

-Our budget is 1,400 - 2,000

-I will be working at UNO so a short commute would be nice but not necessary.

Any thoughts about location?

Also where do folks in this area post rentals? I dont see much on craiglist. Are there other resources?

Many thanks!

Paul
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 02:13 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,067,590 times
Benson, Midtown, Dundee should all be appealing to you and located very close to UNO.

Old 07-18-2011, 02:31 AM

Thank you!

Much appreciated.

Any idea where is the best resource for rentals? There doesn't seem to be much on craigslist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Benson, Midtown, Dundee should all be appealing to you and located very close to UNO.

Old 07-18-2011, 02:44 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,067,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huehue View Post
Thank you!

Much appreciated.

Any idea where is the best resource for rentals? There doesn't seem to be much on craigslist.
Try Rentals.com, Forrent.com and the Omaha World Herald Classifieds. Those are probably your best bets.

Old 07-18-2011, 02:48 AM

thanks again!

have a great week!

P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Try Rentals.com, Forrent.com and the Omaha World Herald Classifieds. Those are probably your best bets.

Old 07-18-2011, 03:31 AM

817 posts, read 1,769,903 times
I would look into the areas around downtown and the old market. Both are walkable and have lots of choice in restaurants. The old market is full of choices for a night out. Only problem is a lack of a supermarket in the area. Closest REAL supermarket would be Avanza at 29th and levenworth. So quite a walk, and it's almost all uphill from downtown.

Old 07-18-2011, 07:05 AM

906 posts, read 1,810,552 times
From the info you gave, I think you'd probably be disappointed anywhere but Downtown or Dundee. Dundee is more of the college crowd and is close to UNO, and Downtown is a more eclectic place. Both are walkable, have good food, and are in your price range.

Old 07-18-2011, 07:20 AM

65 posts, read 123,658 times
I would look at Dundee and Midtown first and Downtown second. The description of your lifestyle is nearly identical to mine and I moved here from Chicago after having lived in the Bay Area. I have been living in Midtown the last two years and have been very happy with it - plenty of bars and restaurants within a walkable distance - and, downtown is also a walkable distance or a very short drive/ bike ride away. I also lived Downtown for 1.5 years. Omaha has a nice little downtown that is getting better all the time. There is a grocery store downtown that would meet all my needs in between weekly trips to the Whole Foods in the suburbs. There are not a lot of families living downtown, but it is a fine place to raise a child. Avoid west Omaha - that is where you will find a sea of tract homes and chain stores. Welcome to Omaha.

Old 07-18-2011, 12:01 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,689,318 times
I agree with others, Dundee sounds like a good bet if you want to be around other families and still have walkability.

Old 07-18-2011, 03:58 PM

8 posts, read 15,821 times
http://www.visitomaha.com/includes/media/images/Downtown-Riverfront3.jpg (broken link)

We have a very beautiful city. If you like to eat out there is Omaha Steaks and we have a lot of nice people here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of: