Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 03:52 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,687,432 times

Advertisements

In Omaha in 2009, the Census Bureau estimated that 0.2% of workers 16+ rode bikes to work. There were approximately 230,569 workers 16+ in Omaha in 2009, which brings the number to approximately 461 bike commuters in 2009.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2011, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harshbarj View Post
Also, what about the knuckleheads on 4 wheels? I come across a LOT of them daily on my commute to work. Drivers making turns without signaling, blasting through stop signs and red lights, doing 45 in a 35. Perhaps keep them off the road as well.
Precisely. I almost got t-boned the other day because two idiots ran a red light going at least 70 mph on 168th and pacific. Luckily, I was observant enough to notice, "Hey, those guys are idiots who aren't going to stop."

Another thing Calvinist, you are way less likely to be killed by a bike than by a car. 15 pounds of aluminum vs 3000 pounds of steel, take your pick.

Old 10-03-2011, 04:34 PM

817 posts, read 1,769,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raphael07 View Post
Precisely. I almost got t-boned the other day because two idiots ran a red light going at least 70 mph on 168th and pacific. Luckily, I was observant enough to notice, "Hey, those guys are idiots who aren't going to stop."

Another thing Calvinist, you are way less likely to be killed by a bike than by a car. 15 pounds of aluminum vs 3000 pounds of steel, take your pick.
I'll never understand people that use some cyclist’s failure to follow the rules as a reason to keep ALL cyclists off the road. With that kind of mindset then no one could use any vehicle on the roads.

Lastly a cyclist that fails to follow the rules is mainly a threat to their own safety, a motorist not following the rules is a threat to all.

Old 10-04-2011, 08:03 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,615,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjacobm View Post

If anything you should be on board with adding more bike lanes in Omaha. They keep those "knuckleheads" out of your way to shave the precious 15 seconds off your trip.
I'd prefer to use the extra lane for driving.

Look...if you want to ride your bike to work, good on ya. I have no problem with the city laying down bike paths for you to do that. I encourage it, and think it's great. I do have an issue though, when it's rush hour and I'm stuck in traffic because some guy is out for a nice ride and blocking traffic. Or if a lane is designated for bikers and the rest of us can't use it.

Old 10-04-2011, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post

Look...if you want to ride your bike to work, good on ya. I have no problem with the city laying down bike paths for you to do that. I encourage it, and think it's great. I do have an issue though, when it's rush hour and I'm stuck in traffic because some guy is out for a nice ride and blocking traffic. Or if a lane is designated for bikers and the rest of us can't use it.
But your still refering to cycling as a recreatinal activity ("out for a nice ride"). I'm about to leave for work, and I will not be riding to have fun. I will be out to go to work. Same as may of those driving cars.

Also if they are moving then they are not blocking anything.

Old 10-04-2011, 03:35 PM

Quote:

You can use it. If you ride a bike. Funny how some argument styles come back to bite you...

Old 10-06-2011, 10:42 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,615,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harshbarj View Post
But your still refering to cycling as a recreatinal activity ("out for a nice ride"). I'm about to leave for work, and I will not be riding to have fun. I will be out to go to work. Same as may of those driving cars.

Also if they are moving then they are not blocking anything.
Good for you. Use bike paths or get out of the way and I won't take issue if I come up behind you. I pay the wheel tax so I can drive my car on the street. Did you pay a wheel tax for your bicycle?

Old 10-06-2011, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Good for you. Use bike paths or get out of the way and I won't take issue if I come up behind you. I pay the wheel tax so I can drive my car on the street. Did you pay a wheel tax for your bicycle?

The age old complaint of the motorist. Cyclists don't have to pay the wheel tax. Simple as that. Now you are free to believe that we have to, but you are NOT free to tell cyclists to stay off the street because they don't. We have a legal right to the road, same as a motorist!

Old 10-06-2011, 02:01 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,261,841 times
Quote:
According to whom? Some of us actually like to drive around w/out having to watch out for knuckleheads on 2 wheels blocking traffic.
Then why wouldn't you be in favor of infrastructure that makes it SAFER for BOTH cars and bikes to use the same road? Unless you are prejudiced towards cyclists

Old 10-06-2011, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
Then why wouldn't you be in favor of infrastructure that makes it SAFER for BOTH cars and bikes to use the same road? Unless you are prejudiced towards cyclists
It's Calvinist, he's prejudiced towards anything he does not understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha