Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 02:20 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,065,107 times

Advertisements

Just saw the news on Facebook. While I wasn't a fan of his inflammatory one sided political views and his advocate style of journalism, he seemed like a genuinely good guy who cared about Omaha and loved working here.

Considering that he was one of the more popular local media personalities, it'll be interesting to see who fills his spot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2011, 03:27 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,688,622 times
Occasionally, I'll listen to KFAB in order to get conservative view points on issues, and I actually kinda liked Becka because he wouldn't make a ton of inflammatory comments about the other side. I think it was just a few nights ago he actually defended the president after one of his callers made some really outrageous remark. The one I can't stand is Savage, he makes my blood boil.

Old 10-26-2011, 04:31 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,065,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raphael07 View Post
Occasionally, I'll listen to KFAB in order to get conservative view points on issues, and I actually kinda liked Becka because he wouldn't make a ton of inflammatory comments about the other side. I think it was just a few nights ago he actually defended the president after one of his callers made some really outrageous remark. The one I can't stand is Savage, he makes my blood boil.
Becka could be more sensible than a lot of the conservative hosts, but he still tended to stir up trouble. I was not at all a fan of how he promoted the push against the Bob Kerrey Bridge, TDA Park and the failed recall effort of Mayor Suttle. I just can't stand that type of advocacy journalism.

But that said, I thought his performance after the Westroads Mall Shootings was highly commendable.

Old 10-26-2011, 06:13 PM

817 posts, read 1,769,678 times
Personally I am glad he is gone. He has said a lot of stupid things in the past, enough so I stopped listing to his show. The man would make claims without first making sure they were factual. I actually posted about this problem with tom just over a year ago when Omaha hired its first pedestrian and bicycle coordinator. His comments showed not only a lack of education on the topic, but an outright unwillingness to be flexible. Neither of which is good for such a public figure.

Old 10-26-2011, 06:31 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,555,537 times
People think he was very conservative - actually he's a strong libertarian... I also came to appreciate him in that he was very fair to the "other side" when they would come on his show and enter into a discussion. He only got on his rants when the other side would ignore him or run from him. Didn't used to like him, but will now miss him.

Old 10-26-2011, 08:47 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,384,777 times
I listened to him when he worked in Kansas City several years back. What I did like about him is the fact that he would challenge callers and not let them get away with using the same old bumper sticker cliches'. I like the fact that he actually made people think. I'd listen to his show over a syndicated show any day.

Old 10-27-2011, 03:12 AM

3,204 posts, read 2,867,824 times
Channel 6 didn't say he got fired...it said cutbacks led to his decision. Do you have a link saying he was fired?

Old 10-27-2011, 05:06 AM

2,589 posts, read 10,555,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
Channel 6 didn't say he got fired...it said cutbacks led to his decision. Do you have a link saying he was fired?
It was a coporate cutback - so those selected for cutback were ...
from the corporations perspective downsized and from the individuals perspective let go or fired... No matter what you call it - it was involuntary seperation just not for cause.

I saw posted on another blog related to media that Clear Channel went after the bigger dollar talent in the local markets to they could cut costs and then it speculated be in a place where they could sell of the stations and turn a corporate profit. Not a reputable source but from a corporate perspective I could see that being the reason.

Old 10-27-2011, 08:26 AM

6 posts, read 12,853 times
It's not about meeting the budget...it's about the strong influence of the unions and politicians that Becka exposed. The budget is just the excuse to appease the public. Sad that Omaha crumbles under these pressures. Our wonderful city is morphing into a corrupt, mini Chicago. Tom was the one person we could trust to take the polish off the political spin. Since this is the only program on KFAB I listened to, there is no reason to tune in.

Old 10-27-2011, 10:03 AM

3,098 posts, read 7,544,498 times
dave wingert got fired from 99.9 last week for dropping the f-bomb on the radio
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of: