Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2011, 06:25 PM

187 posts, read 663,739 times

Advertisements

Saw this article on Market West's Facebook page (from the OWH). Thought it was pretty cool how they're putting their HQ in a building that they're restoring. Seems like quite a few small businesses have done similar things in the Omaha area.

Reinvigorating Vinton Street - Omaha.com

I had no idea who was behind the banners on the grain elevators, but seems like Emerging Terrain is doing a good job.

Emerging Terrain: a non-profit research and design collaborative
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2011, 10:51 AM

1,224 posts, read 2,189,302 times
I loved the last part of the article.

Things like this create one connected urban city instead of destinations.

Kudos to this project hopefully it can become similar to Dundee's Underwood St.

Old 12-26-2011, 04:40 PM

I hope so. I went to Pitch a couple weeks ago and was in Dundee again today actually. Dundee really is a great, well-established neighborhood. It was so cool to see families walking together and people coming out of all the little shops. Also cool how the American Planning Association called Dundee-Happy Hollow one of America's best neighborhoods.

If Dundee can turn out like it has, I have high hopes for the Vinton St. Commercial District. I like Vinton because it's older than Dundee, has more buildings than Underwood Avenue and has an interesting winding street design. Louie M's and the new Emerging Terrain HQ should be two good anchors for the Deer Park neighborhood in general.

Old 12-27-2011, 06:14 PM

3,098 posts, read 7,544,498 times
i agree omahajosh, If Dundee can turn out like it has, I have high hopes for the Vinton St. Commercial District

as long as it dont turn into alcoholic city like benson (maple street) has become

and actually has diverse business, Vinton street will do well like Dundee has

Old 12-27-2011, 07:39 PM

Thank you! At least someone agrees with me. Benson is great, and I'll be first in line to see a show at The Waiting Room, but Benson needs more that one concert venue, two thrift stores, a health store and 529,742 bars in order to be more successful in my opinion.

Old 12-28-2011, 10:51 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,065,107 times
Benson already have a diverse selection of businesses...

http://omababe.blogspot.com/2010/05/...wn-benson.html

Old 12-28-2011, 08:01 PM

I actually think the whole area south of downtown and north of I-80 is going to get a big redevelopment push this decade.

Little Italy will be the "next" midtown, without the huge project like Midtown Crossing though. Just a bunch of infill and raised housing values.

Old 12-28-2011, 09:29 PM

817 posts, read 1,769,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjacobm View Post
I actually think the whole area south of downtown and north of I-80 is going to get a big redevelopment push this decade.

Little Italy will be the "next" midtown, without the huge project like Midtown Crossing though. Just a bunch of infill and raised housing values.
What that area needs is more in the way of apartments and mixed use development. Far to many single family houses for an urban area.

Old 12-28-2011, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harshbarj View Post
What that area needs is more in the way of apartments and mixed use development. Far to many single family houses for an urban area.
Agreed, I just have a feeling that area is going to take off.

I live in Midtown and am still further away from the Old Market than everything in the area I mentioned.

We have already seen a ton of development to the immediate south of downtown with the Towns at Little Italy and Giovanna Rows. There is also rumor of a 50 unit apartment building near the Towns at Little Italy.

Even further south a 4 floor apartment building is under construction.

Between the current development, the cheaper land prices, 13th and Vinton districts already decently established and the proximity to downtown I just have a feeling that area is going to see some great development.

I'll eat crow in 2020 if I am wrong .

Old 12-29-2011, 09:19 AM

109 posts, read 281,059 times
That's awesome. What a great thing to do to this area. I will support that area as much as I can. Like the last part of the article said, something about 'making our city a city of neighborhoods instead of in-between places.' It says alot about how many people live in a non-descript area, jump on I80 and get off at the westroads mall. I would love to see more community involvement and independent stores, eateries, etc all over the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of: