Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 02:53 PM

3 posts, read 9,261 times

Advertisements

Tplant1701, I total understand. I have been searching for over a year now and still havent been able to get a job. I have B.S degree in Management. I have four years of management experience as well as nine years of customer service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2009, 12:26 AM

1,837 posts, read 4,149,271 times
I was watching TV the other day and the unemployment rate in this country is at an all time high.. It is at about 10% which is unbelievable. My husband lost his job three times in the last five years and we had to move away from the PNW. He is also in upper management. He just couldn't find work.. Times are tough and I totally feel for anyone looking for a job.

Good luck to you..not to be negative but you may have to look at other states, we did. Sometimes moving isn't so bad and it can be a good thing. Just a suggestion. When we moved from Oregon to Washington my husbands company paid the entire moving expense. All because we were willing to be flexible and move out of state...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrawesome80 View Post
Tplant1701, I total understand. I have been searching for over a year now and still havent been able to get a job. I have B.S degree in Management. I have four years of management experience as well as nine years of customer service.

Old 11-12-2009, 02:07 AM

1,181 posts, read 4,010,754 times
Just for the record, 10% unemployment is not an all time high. Unemployment rates during the great depression hit nearly 30%. I agree, though, 10% is high and very worrisome. Luckily for Omaha, that's not the case here.

Old 11-13-2009, 07:59 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,149,271 times
I didn't know the statistics regarding the great depression but I was repeating what I heard on the news. Maybe they didn't do their homework when reporting... Anyway, thanks for the reproof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpoulsen View Post
Just for the record, 10% unemployment is not an all time high. Unemployment rates during the great depression hit nearly 30%. I agree, though, 10% is high and very worrisome. Luckily for Omaha, that's not the case here.

Old 11-14-2009, 05:33 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,687,536 times
A few people I know who currently have jobs - even with high levels of degrees and experience - are being taken advantage of by their employers; they think it is because of the unemployment levels, places cutting back, etc. One fellow I know just got a management job 2 months ago - and the promised health insurance is still pending, plus he is working 16 hours a day because the company, once they hired him, now won't let him hire the help he needs and that they promised. Some folks have been told that they are the best candidate and that their hiring is imminent - but then the company drops all contact. Some folks I know are working under their qualifications and experience levels, and had to fight just to get those jobs because they were 'overqualified'. It is definitely an employer's market out there. So I can't discount the OP's comments. The suggestions here are all good - plus, don't be embarrassed to take a job that doesn't suit your qualifications until something better opens up. During the last recession, I had to take a job selling industrial lighting to towns and businesses - and what I knew about lighting you could put in a thimble and never feel it with your fingertip. But the contacts I made in that venture eventually opened other doors for me once the market rebounded. Not to mention that I can still judge industrial lighting at a glance.

Old 11-16-2009, 11:57 PM

262 posts, read 1,025,901 times
nm...didn't realize this thread was 2 years old.

Old 02-07-2010, 12:46 AM

28 posts, read 68,382 times
Try pay pal or telvent. They are hiring

Pay Pal is a good company

Old 02-09-2010, 07:02 PM

124 posts, read 309,152 times
If you're into phone jobs, that's probably where it's at. I just got hired at Dial America, and I know Hyatt and Marriott are almost always hiring.

Old 02-18-2010, 04:57 AM

29 posts, read 84,073 times
See, that's the problem I have with people touting that Omaha has a low unemployment rate compared to other cities. Sure, it does, but a TON of the jobs are call centers and factories, which generally don't pay very well (especially in the eyes of someone with an education).
I think most people can find a job here, quite easily, but only if you aim low enough.

I was unemployed for a few months, sent around 100 applications, went through 20-30 interviews, and kept at it until I found something half-decent. I ended up getting frustrated about all the interviews, so if I hadn't heard back in a week, I'd just call them and simply ask them why I didn't get the job, and if there was anything I should have done differently. I got several compliments on my interviewing style and answers, but it boiled down to someone with more experience or a better education being one step ahead of me.

Anyway, hang in there and something is bound to work out for you.

Old 03-04-2010, 10:12 AM

124 posts, read 309,152 times
That sounded a bit snobby, Jason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of: