Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 10:17 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,194,490 times

Advertisements

I love this city and this state.. The economy is top notch and the people generally are friendly. The entertainment in the Omaha area is getting more abundant every year and it seems there are always big events going on.. the city has become quite friendly to many types of people instead of just the traditional family. I also love this climate.

Again this is a world class city in my book and seems so perfect. Except that I am tired of people coming at me from all angles to attempt persuading me into thinking this is a terrible place to live. It seems that people are on a mission to get me to see that I am miserable here just like they are..

Then it hit me.. Why do I want to be part of a community where many people don't want a part of it?

So if this many people come at me (family, friends, co-workers, people on message boards) to try to persuade me into thinking this is a bad place to live, then is it? Can a place really be that good if that many people are unhappy? Am I going to be dealing with this my entire life here? I almost feel like an outsider that people laugh at in my own place..

That's why I am seriously considering a move to Denver. People seem to have a much more upbeat positive attitude there.

Anybody have a perspective?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2012, 12:14 AM

1,295 posts, read 2,509,495 times
Omaha's a good place to live for many reasons. I plan to retire there. I grew up in Omaha and still feel very connected to the place. I left for college almost 40 years ago and life took me elsewhere. Sounds like you've caught a little bit of wanderlust, and that's not a bad thing. I think it's good to have a sense of adventure. I also think it's good to expand your horizons and experience life outside of the comfort zone of family obligations----I would never have become the person I did if I'd stayed in Omaha; I would have ended up fulfilling my family's expectations and not my own. Leaving also made me more independent and made me look at the world through a different prism. You sound like you feel a little suffocated by the influence of family and friends. Maybe you could do a short-term move to Denver just to see how it goes, if for no other reason than to clear your head and get some control over your life. Question: Why narrow it down to Denver?

Old 03-16-2012, 07:55 AM

2,763 posts, read 5,756,832 times
Or you could just ignore people. You are the destiny to your own happiness.

Old 03-16-2012, 10:51 AM

173 posts, read 345,515 times
That's amazing. Being from Sioux City, Iowa, many people seem to think Omaha (and to a certain extent Sioux Falls) is the city to escape Sioux City, but yes jobs are a major deciding factor. While I would never live in Omaha myself it's a great city, and it's nice that it's only an hour and a half to get to somewhere 5 times the size and 5 times as many things to do. Maybe people just tend to want to move to someplace they think is bigger and better.

Old 03-16-2012, 01:13 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,985,404 times
It's the grass is always greener complex, you will find that everywhere. For some people its not even the place, its their own situation and feeling stuck. If you like it and it fits what you want, why move? You could surely find some complaining about Denver too. Like this.. its gotten to big, too many invaders from other states, too much crime, expensive to buy a house in a decent area, its not what it used to be, etc. Change can be a positive thing if done for the right reasons. If you are happy in Omaha, then stay. Isn't that what its all about.

Old 03-16-2012, 06:36 PM

59 posts, read 126,890 times
I've always had the opposite experience. To me, it seems that the community in Omaha has a large amount of pride for the city. I've also heard of a lot of people moving away (me included) only to discover that they took Omaha for granted.

I guess you have to decide what's best for yourself. You seem to have a good impression of Omaha, but it seems you're letting other people dictate how you feel. There's no harm in wanting to get out and experience some place different, but make sure it's what you want to do and not what other people make you feel like you should do.

Old 03-16-2012, 09:09 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,369,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omahahonors View Post
I love this city and this state.. The economy is top notch and the people generally are friendly. The entertainment in the Omaha area is getting more abundant every year and it seems there are always big events going on.. the city has become quite friendly to many types of people instead of just the traditional family. I also love this climate.

Again this is a world class city in my book and seems so perfect. Except that I am tired of people coming at me from all angles to attempt persuading me into thinking this is a terrible place to live. It seems that people are on a mission to get me to see that I am miserable here just like they are..

Then it hit me.. Why do I want to be part of a community where many people don't want a part of it?

So if this many people come at me (family, friends, co-workers, people on message boards) to try to persuade me into thinking this is a bad place to live, then is it? Can a place really be that good if that many people are unhappy? Am I going to be dealing with this my entire life here? I almost feel like an outsider that people laugh at in my own place..

That's why I am seriously considering a move to Denver. People seem to have a much more upbeat positive attitude there.

Anybody have a perspective?
If you like living in Omaha, why in the world does it matter what anybody else thinks?

Old 03-17-2012, 05:58 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,194,490 times
You guys are all right. There really is a lot of people that are passionate about the place like myself. Omaha does have a high amount of civic pride...

It's just one of them things where the negative, bitter people are the loudest.. Sadly, I let this bitterness get to me.. Yet, I can't help but to think what it is like within a city where it is socially acceptable to speak proudly within small talk about where you're from. Here, people will speak very negatively about the place for the sake of small talk when they actually love the place.. It is just getting very old.

Old 03-18-2012, 12:07 PM

187 posts, read 663,678 times
In my experiences, I've noticed that the only people that really bag on Omaha are the people that have never been here or that drove through and didn't explore the city at all.

Old 03-18-2012, 03:42 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,659,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithy77 View Post
Omaha's a good place to live for many reasons. I plan to retire there. I grew up in Omaha and still feel very connected to the place. I left for college almost 40 years ago and life took me elsewhere. Sounds like you've caught a little bit of wanderlust, and that's not a bad thing. I think it's good to have a sense of adventure. I also think it's good to expand your horizons and experience life outside of the comfort zone of family obligations----I would never have become the person I did if I'd stayed in Omaha; I would have ended up fulfilling my family's expectations and not my own. Leaving also made me more independent and made me look at the world through a different prism. You sound like you feel a little suffocated by the influence of family and friends. Maybe you could do a short-term move to Denver just to see how it goes, if for no other reason than to clear your head and get some control over your life. Question: Why narrow it down to Denver?
Yeah. You should look into the Twin Cities. Minneapolis has more to offer than Denver IMO, and certainly more than Omaha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of: